Countryfile next week

Old Boggy

As title, bit of a heads up for Countryfile next Sunday 27th. is featuring Keith Pickering, The Stick Man. Some on here (myself included) may have bought or continue to buy stickmaking bits and bobs from Keith who stocks quite a good range of stuff and offers an excellent service.

Apparently they were filming for about six hours but no doubt will be edited down to just a few minutes.

Should be quite interesting though.

OB

42 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Looks interesting, I shall watch.

It will be vastly better than the usual FLUFFY COUNTRYSIDE SHOW it has become.

I must confess that I don't normally watch it unless there is something of particular interest such as there is next week. 

I did watch it a couple of weeks ago when they featured Kent, but just couldn't believe that they showed the RSPB sinking fish 'nests' in the Dungeness lakes in order for the fish to breed, multiply and to provide the cormorants with a sustainable food supply. No mention of course to cull the thousands of resident cormorants.

That wouldn't be PC and would be totally against BBC biased broadcasting.

Whilst out pigeon shooting last year, my pal and I estimated that we saw about 2000 cormorants flying in over the north Kent coast towards Westbere lakes in groups of 20 or 30 in the space of 3 hours.

Another pal who has an inland marsh and small trout lake has a licence to cull 4 a year !! That's really going to keep numbers down and protect fish stocks.:no:

8 minutes ago, marsh man said:

THANKS for the heads up , overall it is the one program on the box I look forward to each week , not perfect by any means but still enough of interesting bits to make it worthwhile watching .

I'm sure that your brother could teach them a few things on stickmaking and carving MM, having seen pictures of some of his outstanding work.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

Then just to fill a bit of air space they keep going back to the Dales for catch up on the famer and his wife with loads of kids " Boring"

Not that i watch it very often but when i do these always seem to be on  which is possibly why

They did one around here shown over Xmas which i missed But most of the so called regulars at the local on the programme are the very ones you never see at the pub normally

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I estimated that we saw about 2000 cormorants

One of my regular walks is along the River Avon - and there is an old iron bridge carrying water pipes over the river.  A few years ago, I started to see a solitary cormorant fitting on the bridge regularly.  Now the other day there were six.  The downside is that I used to see a kingfisher occasionally, but not for some time now.  Not sure if these tow changes are connected?

9 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

I was amused on Sunday, at a man suggesting they fenced in the forest of dean to avoid needing to cull the wild boar population

I am amazed that some people think the FoD is small and wild enough to fence, and cannot see that restricting the area would increase the need for a cull not remove it   -   lacs all over again.:/

22 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

I am amazed that some people think the FoD is small and wild enough to fence, and cannot see that restricting the area would increase the need for a cull not remove it   -   lacs all over again.:/

The article was expressing concern over spread of African Swine fever to farmed pigs via wild boar,  the person was quite serious over a plan to fence of F.O.D. to prevent this.