Scam

deny essex

It blew my my mind when I read about the psychology of scams. The whole “million dollars in a bank in Nigeria” type thing.

I used to wonder how on earth anyone would fall for it, but the point is exactly that - the scammer knows that the only person that would fall for it is the kind of numpty that would hand over thousands of pounds. The scammer isn’t interested in wasting his time on people who can spot that it’s a scam.

The eBay/PayPal ones probably hook more people initially, and the chances of success are higher, but the amount of effort involved on the part of the scammer is that much higher too.

Fascinating.

LS

Comiserations with the OP. There are sort right scumbags about.

17 minutes ago, lord_seagrave said:

It blew my my mind when I read about the psychology of scams. The whole “million dollars in a bank in Nigeria” type thing.

I used to wonder how on earth anyone would fall for it, but the point is exactly that - the scammer knows that the only person that would fall for it is the kind of numpty that would hand over thousands of pounds. The scammer isn’t interested in wasting his time on people who can spot that it’s a scam.

The eBay/PayPal ones probably hook more people initially, and the chances of success are higher, but the amount of effort involved on the part of the scammer is that much higher too.

Fascinating.

LS

Comiserations with the OP. There are sort right scumbags about.

Not the words I would use for those unfortunate enough to be duped in this way. Quite often it's the old, sick or vulnerable that get targeted. 

32 minutes ago, oowee said:

Not the words I would use for those unfortunate enough to be duped in this way. Quite often it's the old, sick or vulnerable that get targeted. 

Yes, I quite agree. Poor choice of words.

The scammers have no sympathy, but I ought to have been more understanding.”  Kind of person” I ought to have said.

5 minutes ago, lord_seagrave said:

Yes, I quite agree. Poor choice of words.

The scammers have no sympathy, but I ought to have been more understanding.”  Kind of person” I ought to have said.

👍 Only said it because I could easily see my mum falling for something like it. 😞 

Yes I agree it is the vulnerable who get scammed but also some people are greedy and willingly give their details out to scammers in the hope of getting an inheritance/ tax rebate / lottery win ...... I have had the pay pal e mails but when I went to the real site they want me to send confirmation of address and photo ID and it’s genuine ...... but the scammers are true scum we have relatives in hospital and when waiting for the contact call we get bombarded with what appear to be local numbers which we answer only to find it’s some scam.....I have noticed it seems to peak about a month after renewal of insurances on comparison websites which require contact details no doubt they are also located in another country where the data protection laws do not exist....... but I have found instead of ranting and swearing I say in a calm cold voice “ ITS DONE .....BUT THERE IS BLOOD EVERYWHERE “ the scammers are lost for words !

Well ive had a night in already. My mother has been scammed by her 'boyfriend' in russia (dont even ask) for the sum of £500, for flights which he wont respond to now, and the misses has just told me shes had to pay £35 TO BECOME a rep for a local herbal make-up company. 

Now i used to think both were quite intelligent, but the saying 'Thick as ****, and twice as smelly' comes to mind. 

Strong words are going to be said when the boy goes down tonight, i dont do 6+days a week to line some other ****ers pocket. How stupid can you get. The kicker is that she tried being a avon rep but there is no money in it at all. So shes now paying to do the same. :mad:

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I get the occasional phone call from a number I do not recognise with just London below it. Of course I do not answer it and reject it out of hand. Anyone else had the same?

I had a good'un yesterday.

The mobile rang as I was driving and the ring-tone wasn't family, so I ignored it and carried on, but I heard the tone telling me that a voicemail had been left.

When I could, I looked at the phone - "private number", so played the voicemail,  and an attractive female voice said "Hello, this is Toot Fontay on the line, just an update. Can you please phone me back?"

Couldn't phone back the "private number", so I'm still wondering what the update was.

Needless to say I have no knowledge of a Ms Toot Fontay 😄

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Well ive had a night in already. My mother has been scammed by her 'boyfriend' in russia (dont even ask) for the sum of £500, for flights which he wont respond to now, and the misses has just told me shes had to pay £35 TO BECOME a rep for a local herbal make-up company. 

Now i used to think both were quite intelligent, but the saying 'Thick as ****, and twice as smelly' comes to mind. 

Strong words are going to be said when the boy goes down tonight, i dont do 6+days a week to line some other ****ers pocket. How stupid can you get. The kicker is that she tried being a avon rep but there is no money in it at all. So shes now paying to do the same. 

MLMs are a propper scam. My Mrs was nearly roped in by one and a few of her friends unfortunately were. 

Get the Mrs to read this blog :

https://ellebeaublog.com/category/elles-poonique-story/

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I get the occasional phone call from a number I do not recognise with just London below it. Of course I do not answer it and reject it out of hand. Anyone else had the same?

That was me nev , I was having tea with the Queen, and I called you from the landline in the palace to tell you about it 😎