2019 Chilli Growing thread

lord_seagrave

Well, it’s that time of year again, chaps.

Had good results last year, and with oodles of saved seed to play with this year, I shall be growing a veritable forest of chillies.

If anyone is interested in a handful of Red Basque seeds, let me know and I’ll put them in the post.

I’ve just taken delivery of some “Palivec” seeds, courtesy of The Real Seed Catalogue http://www.realseeds.co.uk/hotpeppers.html very much looking forward to those. If the year is as warm and dry as last year, it could be a bumper harvest.

I’ve just dug the propagator our of the shed, and have mixed up some compost. Can’t wait to get started! Anyone else limbering up for the season?

LS

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the best chili "experience" i have ever tasted is when my mate grew allll his chili's for "chilli jam"..........it was bloody georgeous ...it went with anything with rice........fish or meat

I agree.  I purchased some from a B&B we use up in north Lincs and the lady there produces the most fantastic range of jams and pickles. This year I am going to try and grow my own chillies and make some of my own jam.  It goes great with game, particularly roast haunch of venison.

4 hours ago, figgy said:

Anyone grow scotch bonnet ? 

I've grown Apache and Prairie fire in the past. Looking for suggestions for this year for a bit of warmth but plenty of flavour.

The old dear had Scotch Bonnets last year but was a bit of a disaster with only 5 fruits and they were a tad hot to enjoy although in the right recipe would probably be fine.

Ive done Apache and Prairie Fire fire for a few years and hard to beat imo.

Also had Cherry Bomb and Bolivian Rainbow last year which both gave outstanding crops and are tasty.The Bombs you can pick and eat without too much fire and have a superb flavour.

• 2 weeks later...