2019 Chilli Growing thread

lord_seagrave

33 minutes ago, Mungler said:

I got some seeds off the bay and went to set them out yesterday; I opened the packet and realised I’d been proper done - 6 seeds only 😝

They better all take 😆

You want some Basket Of Fires through?

Ordered a pack,they didnt come so they resent another pack plus a free pack of a different variety so have plenty.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very kind squire but I’m all good - the seeds Lord S kindly sent through have now kicked on (baby cress stage) and so we’re officially out of the blocks and running.

Each year I grow more than I could ever need and then give a load away (as pot plants) to friends and family to try and get them involved.

I am amazed more people don’t have a stab - it’s quite amazing and rewarding. Last year half a dozen tomatoe seeds turned into 60 kg of toms. This stuff really does grow on trees 😆

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

Very kind squire but I’m all good - the seeds Lord S kindly sent through have now kicked on (baby cress stage) and so we’re officially out of the blocks and running.

Each year I grow more than I could ever need and then give a load away (as pot plants) to friends and family to try and get them involved.

I am amazed more people don’t have a stab - it’s quite amazing and rewarding. Last year half a dozen tomatoe seeds turned into 60 kg of toms. This stuff really does grow on trees 😆

Agreed,and always seems to taste so much better.

I set enough seeds for us,one couple that i get shooting off,the old folk and a mate just up the road and they take as much as i can give.So easy,even if its just a few for a good sunny cill.

Mine are growing well. Germination rate so far is pretty low (50% in some cases). I will re-sow the dud pots after a fortnight if there’s nothing going on. Luckily I had tons of seed from my Basque chillies last year, so I can afford to be generous!

“Vampire” and “Belgian Carrot” going in this week. These are new seeds, and, as @Mungler says - a mere half-dozen per packet 😠

LS

Washing up liquid in a weak wateres down solution - spray with one of those hand held squeeze pump sprayers. And yes, you’re right, white fly is a massive pain and chilli plants do draw them in especially inside perhaps where natural predators won’t (lady birds, wasps etc) get at them.

14 hours ago, army646 said:

How the hell do you lads deal with white fly. I had a Thai Hot and a Prairie Fire from South Devon Chilli Farm and the White Fly absolutely mullered em. I killed the plants trying to get shut of em. 😬

If you are growing in a poly tunnel or greenhouse then the encarsia formosa route works as long as you have not used permethrin systemic based sprays and have sufficient temperature

https://www.defenders.co.uk/pest-solutions/whitefly-control.html

I tried a different seed medium for the LS chilli seeds given to me. They went in about 2 weeks ago and have just started to pop through and so the cling film topper came off this morning.

The key is not to over water or the seeds rot - nice and damp is fine and the clingfilm keeps the moisture in and at a constant level).

5EC5A655-0C3B-4987-BF04-9C556C2C2FA0.jpeg

Edited by Mungler

So, I did a seed tray load with the balance of the LS seeds provided (I had sown the bulk in individual small pots and cell divides seed trays as that structure works better as there’s less disturbance of the plant and root system).

What is strange is that one half of the seed tray has taken and one half failed - it must be a heat / light ‘thing’ from life on the window cill.

46C42FF5-2AA0-4EDC-8D20-F0D17FBCEB97.jpeg

And the soreen sowing pads are doing well 

802EEEE4-6FBB-4559-990C-7CA59A9C5679.jpeg

not set any off yet.

ordered some seeds and have some I collected from last year.

Jalapeno, Hungarian Hot Wax, Habanero, Ring o fire ordered

Have some cayenne and birds eye from last year and a packet of patio sizzle.

The habenaro I brought indoors last year produced many tiny very hot chillies.

it's now on a growth spurt and starting to produce full size fruit.

need to re pot it and give it a feed.

haberno.jpg

My F1 Apache chilli are up and running. Ready to ***** out into their own pots this week.

Got loads of them germinated so friends and family will be getting some.

Prairie fire is a cracking window cill plant, stays small and gives loads of fruit. Quite hot raw but looses it's heat when cooked.

• 2 weeks later...