2019 Chilli Growing thread

lord_seagrave

I have just got my seeds through. I have a propagator on the kitchen window sill ready to go, But looking and reading through this thread I may be a little late getting them in the dirt. 

I've gone for reapers as I have balls of British steel.....well I don't really never have much above a jalfrezi in an indian heat wise. 

Aparently they are slow growing and may not even fruit but I thought it was worth a rattle, Am I too late to plant?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I have just got my seeds through. I have a propagator on the kitchen window sill ready to go, But looking and reading through this thread I may be a little late getting them in the dirt. 

I've gone for reapers as I have balls of British steel.....well I don't really never have much above a jalfrezi in an indian heat wise. 

Aparently they are slow growing and may not even fruit but I thought it was worth a rattle, Am I too late to plant?

Not too late although i think sooner the better to get them going.

With our weather up here sometimes the seasons beat us before getting the best our of some varieties and as you say some of the hot ones take as age.

Pretty sure you will still get plenty fruit but maybe better choosing a variety small enough that you can have on the sunny cills in the house.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any of you chilli fans tried the Carolina reaper and the dragon's breath chilli grown here in UK? 

A new one the pepper X from USA is now the hottest at 3.18 million scovilles.  Watched some videos of chilli eating contests in the UK. No thanks I couldn't do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I need to get my finger out and start agin next year. I have had a two year lay off due to various reasons

any road up, the last time I grew any I had an awful lot of them with a hole appear near the stalk and the pepper going rotten inside, same with some Bell Peppers. Anyone got any idea what it may have been?

usually start them off in a heated propagator then put them out into greenhouse around April. Greenhouse is an unheated plastic lean to affair

On 31/05/2019 at 10:59, figgy said:

Any of you chilli fans tried the Carolina reaper and the dragon's breath chilli grown here in UK? 

Been reading about the Dragons Breath chilli, apparently it blows the Carolina Reaper "out of the water" but its creator says he developed it for medical reasons, he reckons it will make a great anesthetic???? seriously is it just me or can anyone else see the irony in that statement.