Resource guarding

Fionarobbo92

Hi, looking for some help. 

I have a 2 and half year old cocker spaniel who is resource guarding. He refuses to give up anything, and will now bit if you walk past him. We have tried dropping high value treats and he ignores them to carry on guarding. He can guard for hours if he wants to keep the item. We don’t know what else to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 

Unfortunately it’s nigh on impossible to give any advice in this situation for several reasons; we don’t know the history of the dog, we haven’t seen the dog nor your household’s interaction with him, I for one am not a dog behaviourist and these sorts of things can escalate as you’ve found out. Bad advice could only make things worse.

My only advice particularly as he’s begun to bite is to ask your vets for a referral to a behaviourist. 

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help and best of luck.

Edited by bigbird

1 hour ago, martyn2233 said:

The location is Doncaster if anyone can help them out 

The two I know have a good reputation are a bit out of area but I think both will travel but Keri definitely does

Damion Riley in Wilmslow  Cheshire Behaviourist, guide dog and gun dog trainer has web page

Keri Corbett  is in Tamworth  -  a spaniel girl - behaviourist   -  facebook   ---  Keri SEA Corbett

18 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

The two I know have a good reputation are a bit out of area but I think both will travel but Keri definitely does

Damion Riley in Wilmslow  Cheshire Behaviourist, guide dog and gun dog trainer has web page

Keri Corbett  is in Tamworth  -  a spaniel girl - behaviourist   -  facebook   ---  Keri SEA Corbett

I second Damo, he’s a star, a terrific spaniel man, we’ve competed in tests and trials together and a good friend of mine . I’ve yet to see him be anything but kind and understanding with his dogs👍

Edited by bigbird