How to compress ejector V springs (side by side)

jking

Hi,

I'm currently refitting the ejector V springs in the forend of my side by side. The rounded part of the spring needs to locate in a groove, one end of the spring has a small pin that locates in a hole and the other end rests up against the ejector kicker. I'm really struggling to safely compress the spring to allow me to refit it. I can't use anything too bulky to hold the spring. So far I have tried needle nose pliers, small vise grips and a toolmakers clamp. Are there any easy ways to compress and hold the springs?

Thanks

23 minutes ago, jking said:

Hi,

I'm currently refitting the ejector V springs in the forend of my side by side. The rounded part of the spring needs to locate in a groove, one end of the spring has a small pin that locates in a hole and the other end rests up against the ejector kicker. I'm really struggling to safely compress the spring to allow me to refit it. I can't use anything too bulky to hold the spring. So far I have tried needle nose pliers, small vise grips and a toolmakers clamp. Are there any easy ways to compress and hold the springs?

Thanks

Gunsmiths use a special tool! 

20190123_145034.jpg

See image above.......I've dented a few walls already trying to get them back in 😂

32 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Difficult to offer any advice without a good picture but have you tried compressing the beast with a clamp then wrapping cotton around it, almost as if you were "whipping" it as per ferrules on a fishing Rod, position it then cut the cotton and remove any caught threads with tweezers?

That's a good idea, I'll try to give that a go later.

The other problem I'm having is that I've replaced the cocking arm as the one shown in the image above has lost one of the wings that act on the kickers. Only had a quick try last night but I couldn't get the action to open fully so I'm guessing the new cocking arm will need a bit of work doing to it.

44 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A pair of Mole Grips may be your answer!

Unfortunately the spring tends to slip out where I need to place the mole grips. It's just such a fiddly job! I'm taking some safety glasses home with me as I don't want to lose an eye!

18 minutes ago, browning123 said:
I have fitted a few over the years, and as previously stated.........I cramped the spring closed then tied it with string, once shaped and in position, I cut the string to release.

Sounds like a plan, I'll give it a go later. Thanks everyone

VERY CAREFULLY .

Which ever way you try you must hold the iron securely in a vice  

You need a spring clamp which is basically a piece of steel say 3/8" wide . with a slot that is wide enough to fit over the spring in its compressed state .It need to be as deep as the spring is wide .

Fit over the spring , release the kicker and carefully remove the spring which may need to be "levered" out .

They can be recovered with a pair of flat nosed pliers if the iron is securely held in a vice and the kickers are in the fired position .

I do not recommend this as the gun shown being Spanish will have very strong springs which can easily fly if not held very firmly and can be a pain to put back in . Even with years of practice I still had some fly narrowly escaping being hit and have the spring bounce around the shop .

One tip is before refitting file a small lead on the bow end of the spring so it enters in easier .

Good luck and please I say again be very careful .

3 minutes ago, jking said:

Sounds like a plan, I'll give it a go later. Thanks everyone

Have plenty of plasters handy if doing this .

54 minutes ago, Gunman said:

VERY CAREFULLY .

Which ever way you try you must hold the iron securely in a vice  

You need a spring clamp which is basically a piece of steel say 3/8" wide . with a slot that is wide enough to fit over the spring in its compressed state .It need to be as deep as the spring is wide .

Fit over the spring , release the kicker and carefully remove the spring which may need to be "levered" out .

They can be recovered with a pair of flat nosed pliers if the iron is securely held in a vice and the kickers are in the fired position .

I do not recommend this as the gun shown being Spanish will have very strong springs which can easily fly if not held very firmly and can be a pain to put back in . Even with years of practice I still had some fly narrowly escaping being hit and have the spring bounce around the shop .

One tip is before refitting file a small lead on the bow end of the spring so it enters in easier .

Good luck and please I say again be very careful .

Have plenty of plasters handy if doing this .

Thanks very much Gunman! I'll have to see how I get on

10 minutes ago, Sereremo said:

This is the hand made tool.

regards.

Thanks, I can picture it properly now.

I'm not having much luck with the gun tonight. I can't get the forend on the gun at all! The cocking limbs on the action are pressed hard up and stoping the forend from engaging. I've fired both barrels on snap caps and it has left both firing pins extended and they will not retract. Not got a clue what I've done. Yesterday all I did was fit the forend (with new cocking arm) to see if it did the job. The forend fitted on the gun but I could not break the action with the barrels attached.

Any ideas on what to do guys?

Have you cocked the ejectors by putting the fore-end onto the barrels (less the action) and used a wooden dowl to push the ejectors down to cock the ejector kickers. The fore-end is often difficult to assemble to the action & barrels unless this has been done.

21 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Have you cocked the ejectors by putting the fore-end onto the barrels (less the action) and used a wooden dowl to push the ejectors down to cock the ejector kickers. The fore-end is often difficult to assemble to the action & barrels unless this has been done.

Hi,

I forgot to mention that I've not put the springs back in the forend yet. I was just wanting to check general operation without the springs. I pushed the kickers to the cocked position (they are quite firmly pressed together on their axle and do require a little force to move them). See picture below......the cocking limbs are pressed hard up and will not swivel at all. I think that is what is stopping me from getting the forend on.

20190123_201100.jpg

And the firing pins extended

30 minutes ago, snow white said:

You can push the ejector springs by pushing both together on your work bench you will have to put some weight behind it.

Thanks.

Currently the springs aren't in the forend but still having this issue with the cocking limbs and not being able to locate the forend against the action.

The action as in the photo is in the fired condition. You need to place the cocking lever against a wooden work bench or similar, at the point indicated and firmly press the action around to cock each hammer in turn. The hammer springs are usually quite powerfull and substantial pressure is needed to cock each lock in turn.

.20190123_201100.jpg.da684f892bafb1e438419a977eba7b0b.jpg.pagespeed_ce.a4w7AmpMxC.jpg.49acb8d5238cf7668436776ef5d06938.jpg

7 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

The action as in the photo is in the fired condition. You need to place the cocking lever against a wooden work bench or similar, at the point indicated and firmly press the action around to cock each hammer in turn. The hammer springs are usually quite powerfull and substantial pressure is needed to cock each lock in turn.

.20190123_201100.jpg.da684f892bafb1e438419a977eba7b0b.jpg.pagespeed_ce.a4w7AmpMxC.jpg.49acb8d5238cf7668436776ef5d06938.jpg

Thanks. I'll find a surface to press down on tomorrow and give it a go.

I wonder if they were locked in the fired position before I tried firing on snap caps as I still couldn't get the forend on then. I can't even get the forend latch to line up with the catch/lug on the barrels as the forend would not locate on the action before either. 

When input the forend on last night and tried to break the action the barrels wouldn't drop down anywhere near far enough to get a cartridge in. I'll try swapping back to the old forend cocking arm tomorrow so I know I won't get that issue again.

I've managed to cock the hammers by pressing the cocking levers up against a lump of wood held against a skirting board in the absence of a work bench. It worked a treat!

I think I've worked out why I was unable to get the forend on. The cocking arm in the forend is clashing with the tongue on the action in between the two cocking levers. Basically the cocking arm cannot log up as high as the old one and so the forend cannot move up firmly against the action as it should do. I've got the old cocking arm being welded, so I'll replace that and hopefully it'll all work once again!

Sounds like you are learning that gun-smithing is not a straight forward job of just changing parts . Ejectors can be a bit of a nightmare and getting the cocking asister to work correctly , so that it cocks correctly but does not stop the gun from opening fully  or over cock the kickers can take time and careful adjusting . 

Gently does it .