Last minute decision pays dividends.

Clodhopper

Following from my post in December I have had another go at the ducks coming into my pond and a marked improvement was made.

As I was passing the pond this morning I called in to have a look and noticed all the grain was gone. I had put 3 buckets full in yesterday afternoon. Normally this will last 2/3 days. I had wanted to shoot the pond again but was not sure when as work and wife’s  Birthday were going to get  in the way. I was meeting Giles anyway this morning to get some other jobs done which would take up the rest of my time until school picking up time. We both were keen but could not see when we might be able to get out. But just maybe 🤔 we could manage it this evening if I could do the school run, get the boy home, fed, wrapped up warm and  back at the farm before dusk. So that is what we did.

I made it back the farm just in time. We were sat up at the pond 5 minutes before the first duck arrived. It was a pair mallard that came wiffling down, 2 shots and 2 misses. I told myself to relax, easier said than done.  Minutes later I heard a different wing beat, teal. Staring into the darkening sky I strained to pick out the birds then whoosh, in cake a pair.  Before I had shouldered my gun, Giles had fired and both birds fell to his single shot. I left these where they lay on the drilling nearby as they would be easy to pick at the end.

Next in were 4 mallard, wobbling side to side, I picked my bird and took it well in front. I swung onto the next bird as it armed away and it too folded. I was improving! 

More teal came in, low down and impossible to see against the back drop of the wolds. I fired at 2 as they roared away at the last minute but failed to connect with either barrel. However, out of the corner of my eye I noticed one falling down toward the water. Giles had fires at the same time as me and his aim was better than mine. 

No time to dwell on my miss a single mallard came in and fell to my single shot, crashing down in the trees behind the pond. 

Time to call it a night after half an hour or so of fantastic fun. The spaniel was sent out and in no time at all I had all the shot birds at my feet.

I think this will be my last outing of the season it was one that will I remember for a while yet. 

Thanks for reading.

http://a66.tinypic.com/2rnipl3.jpg

Nice detailed report on your flight around your duck pond , Three buckets of corn is a fair bit , but with the onset of colder weather there could have been a few more duck found your grain and the residents ones are eating a bit more , might be worth a little visit again before it end next Thursday.