One to follow

Benthejockey

I know some of you follow racing and some of you may be unlucky enough to get the odd tip off me. We’ve got an apprentice jockey who works in the yard who is riding out of her skin at the minute. From her last 4 rides on horses from the yard she’s got a 50% stroke rate, she rode a 20/1 outsider in a class 2 race on a horse that hadn’t won since he was a 2yr old. She won on a filly later in the week at 5/1 that is a tricky customer and then last night she had a couple of rides for us finishing with a 4th and a second beaten a nostril on a horse that in my opinion couldnt be more of a pig if he was pink and had a curly tail! He lead, got headed and swallowed up by the field and then she’s managed to galvanise him and very nearly get him up on the line without picking up her stick. The way she’s riding at the minute she’s definitely worth backing e/w on any of our runners. She’s called Laura Coughlan. 

I know what JDog was alluding to, but being completely ignorant of horse racing, what is meant by 'stroke rate' ?

Also, in your position, Benthejockey, are you able to put bets on, or would that be regarded as some sort of 'insider trading' ?

OB

On 24/01/2019 at 11:06, Benthejockey said:

Um shama won under Laura last week, she’s been hit with a 6lb hike in the weights for that win, but despite the handicapper being harsh Laura’s claim negates that rise somewhat and the way she won the last day she should have a few lb in hand. 

Wolverhampton:  18:55 Ladbrokes Home Of The Odds Boost Handicap

Um shama finished last of 11 runners. 

Pulled hard tracking leaders, saddle slipped after 2f, lost place over 2f out

17 hours ago, The gouse said:

Mugs game my dad as race horses and all lower grade races are fixed, 

That’s a bit of a broad sweep mate. There’s occasionally some dodgy going’s on especially on the flat in the depths of winter on the all weather. BUT the majority - 99.9% - are truly run. There are certain jockeys that we won’t use because they’re prone to occasional lapses in judgement to put it politely. But on the whole racing is a lot straighter than people would ever believe. Favourites lose because they’re not good enough, horses fall because they didn’t jump well enough, jockeys fall off because they didn’t hold on tight enough but nobody wrestles horses to the ground deliberately or jump off a galloping horse on purpose.