How many on here

Jacko3275

😀 Still worried eh? I have too many to mention but they were a long time ago. Last was 1978! I was so concerned I wouldn't get a ticket when I applied in about 1990, I paid a firearms lawyer to represent my application. I needn't have worried, my convictions weren't even mentioned! I realise times have changed but I do know people with quite serious convictions who have SGC / FAC. 

As far as I recall the legislation which automatically rules one out is if they have served a sentence of more than three years within the last three years? I'm not sure if this is still the case or even if it ever was. Just put your application in and find out; you'll never know until you do. Just be perfectly honest is my best advice. 

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

As far as I recall the legislation which automatically rules one out is if they have served a sentence of more than three years within the last three years? I'm not sure if this is still the case or even if it ever was. Just put your application in and find out; you'll never know until you do. Just be perfectly honest is my best advice. 

Over three year and it’s a life ban under  three and above three month its 5 year from the date of release I believe .... I got hours 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

😀 Still worried eh? I have too many to mention but they were a long time ago. Last was 1978! I was so concerned I wouldn't get a ticket when I applied in about 1990, I paid a firearms lawyer to represent my application. I needn't have worried, my convictions weren't even mentioned! I realise times have changed but I do know people with quite serious convictions who have SGC / FAC. 

I’d agree with the honesty. Working in licensing (not firearms), one of the simplest reason for refusal is fairly to disclose all convictions (type - date of conviction - sentence) including cautions, fixed penalties, and Dvla points. 

Commonly it’s also a criminal offence to recklessly or deliberately omit such information where asked on a statutory application.

Best option is to ring the FEO and run through it before putting an app in for formal determination.

ATB

Edited by Tford

22 minutes ago, Tford said:

I’d agree with the honesty. Working in licensing (not firearms), one of the simplest reason for refusal is fairly to disclose all convictions (type - date of conviction - sentence) including cautions, fixed penalties, and Dvla points. 

i thought you didnt have to declare fixed penalties ( ie points on your driving license) ? 

49 minutes ago, quentyn said:

i thought you didnt have to declare fixed penalties ( ie points on your driving license) ? 

Maybe not, I’ve not checked the form... but my point being if in doubt declare, best declare than them find something and believe you were trying to hide/mislead

Hands up - but a long time ago, 13 charges of Armed Trespass, using a Firearm without a Licence, purchasing Ammunition whilst under age, theft of Firearm. Over the 2 previous years I was caught and prosecuted for 2 cases of shoplifting and cautioned once previously for using threatening behaviour (which was totally untrue). When I applied for my SGC, around 5 years later, the local Bobby laughed and said I had no chance - it actually came through in about 6 weeks which was less time than my shooting partner and he had a clean record. Embarrassed to be truthful but it was over 30 years ago and I've been an Angel since (:whistling:) due, mainly, to the fear of losing my licence?   

I had a cannabis caution 2 years ago. 

I worked at a scrap yard and had a police raid and they found some in my old bacca tin(that i didnt know about i gave up smoking 5 month previous) the officer asked whos it was i said mine and he gave me a caution and said if i didnt sign it i would get sent to court and it would be on my record.so i signed. 6 month later i sent my app off and got a phone call off my fao saying why didnt i tell them about it. My license got put on hold they sent me the doctors for a medical report. Whilst i was there i made him do a drug test to prove i didnt touch the stuff.  my gun was in my dads cabinet at the time. The fao told me i shouldn't of signed it. I didnt know i could refuse and make them test me. 3 month later i got it through the post.

2 years later i now have my fac and i told them about in on my application just to show i didnt have anything to hide and i told the fao if he would like to call round for a brew and a drug test anytime he likes

1 hour ago, telf said:

Before i applied for my license i sent away for a convictions sheet from the police cost £10 ,  was very surprised when it came back to find all convictions were wiped and i had quite a few , so i summise they must only stay on for so long

I did the same, and everything came back on it, and I mean EVERYTHING going back 32 years , every arrest, charge and conviction.
So Im not sure what happened in your case , but generally speaking , nothing is wiped off, everything is applicable.
The only thing missing off the sheet was a drink driving conviction from when I was 19, but I told them anyway.
There was stuff on there that I actually couldnt remember doing, I apparently used an alias once !
I must have raised a few eyebrows when I put my apps in 14 years after my last conviction (for cannabis farming) 
Firearms ownership is a very good incentive to keeping your nose clean.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Firearms ownership is a very good incentive to keeping your nose clean.

I totally agree with this. I have a clean past to be fair all except a speed ticket and and one other motoring conviction. One night I was in the pub though and was talking to this bloke and his partner. Both trolleyed and she was talking nonsense but was harmless enough. He kept telling to shut the **** up and generally being rude. I was about to loose it with him and show him some manners. Luckily my wife saw the steam existing my ears and said she had a head ache and wanted to go home. Outside she said I just saved you your SGC. She was right. 

I think holding a FAC/SGC carries responsibility like any other type of licence and is a great way of keeping one out of mischief.  

It definitely helps you walk away from things.

A couple of years ago a bloke blocked me in outside his house as he obviously felt it was his right to park there.

It was at the point he called me a see you next tuesday that I lined up the massive right hook I was about to deliver.

Then I remembered I'm a cop with a firearms licence.

We were both lucky that day.

Edited by Muddy Funker