i wonder if this will be a trend - GP's now advertising they dont want to complete FAC's

quentyn

spotted on twitter 

"Review of the new guidance of Fire Arm applications.  Our team members are conscientious objectors to gun ownership.  If you hold a firearms licence or think you may apply for one in the future, we suggest you consider registering at a different medical practice. We charge £200 to complete a Fire Arms application"

from http://www.travelsafeedinburgh.com/news.aspx?pr=S70179

i hope that this is a one off and not part of a pattern as some pleases in the UK dont really have much choice in terms of GP https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46912055

This could easily push gun ownership into the hands of those that can afford private GP's

Edited by quentyn
swapped URL

13 minutes ago, CaptainBeaky said:

Sounds like they got a bit confused taking the oath...

"We are conscientious objectors to firearms ownership, but if you pay us enough we will do it anyway".

Looks like they took the Hypocritic Oath instead 😡

I'm not sure they know what conscientious objection is.... 

It's the complete opposite of conscientious objection if they'll actually sign them off for money. I'd argue that if money is the motivating factor, it is considerably less 'moral' than refusing to sign them at all. It just says 'Our principles can be purchased for £200'.

11 minutes ago, HW95J said:

It's the complete opposite of conscientious objection if they'll actually sign them off for money. I'd argue that if money is the motivating factor, it is considerably less 'moral' than refusing to sign them at all. It just says 'Our principles can be purchased for £200'.

+1 I would change practise on the grounds they are Hypocrites

9 hours ago, CaptainBeaky said:

"We are conscientious objectors to firearms ownership, but if you pay us enough we will do it anyway".

Like that, so used it on the "Contact Us" facility at the bottom of the page and replied in that vein.

This topic does "do the rounds".......

i cannot understand what all this is about..............

my last application went as thus........

1. fill the form in
  2. put doctors practice address
  3. attatch cheque
  4. send off
  5. FEO phones you...we have a chinwag
  6. police send email to your doc...asking doc to contact the police if you are on any particular type of medication
  7. if the police have not heard from the docs within 24 hrs they issue liecence/certificate

my last renewal was turned around in 5 days...................

9 hours ago, CaptainBeaky said:

Exactly what i thought soon as i read it

But if one is on benefits or of pesion age you will get it free in Scotland do you not :lol:

How very noble of them, their convictions can be bought for a price.

How weak and shameless can you get, especially when you compare their poor effort to the real courage of true conscientious objectors (not that I necessarily agree with such an attitude, just that it takes real courage to stand firm to your values when all around decry you).

13 hours ago, ditchman said:

1. fill the form in
  3. attatch cheque
  4. send off
  6. police send email to your doc...asking doc to contact the police if you are on any particular type of medication
  7. if the police have not heard from the docs within 24 hrs they issue liecence/certificate

As above. As I understand it the police contact the GP with the details you provide, if the GP doesn’t contact police the application proceeds. No need to pay any fees. I know BASC did a press release around this fairly recently 

15 minutes ago, Rossco89 said:

As above. As I understand it the police contact the GP with the details you provide, if the GP doesn’t contact police the application proceeds. No need to pay any fees. I know BASC did a press release around this fairly recently 

That depends entirely on where u live.

In Scotland they WON'T issue ur ticket/renewal without a dr's letter, no matter wot

And it seems to be catching on in Eng too

Really is scandalous as in my area only  1 pactice so u quite literally don't have any choice, as any other near ones won't accept anyone outwith their catchment areas

13 hours ago, ditchman said:

1. fill the form in
  3. attatch cheque
  4. send off

The issue is that several Police forces have stated without a medical report from the GP they will refuse your application or renewal. 

BASC and any other organisation have yet to mount any sort of legal challenge against these forces making up the rules as they go along. 

13 hours ago, scotslad said:

That depends entirely on where u live.

In Scotland they WON'T issue ur ticket/renewal without a dr's letter, no matter wot

And it seems to be catching on in Eng too

Really is scandalous as in my area only  1 pactice so u quite literally don't have any choice, as any other near ones won't accept anyone outwith their catchment areas

Were are you based Scotslad , our practice  charged me £ 50 . But the money does not go in the doctors pocket . It goes into buying things for the surgery  . As does anyother private medical . So not as bad i think . It just the way it is . I am Stranraer area . But we have a little village surgery .