i wonder if this will be a trend - GP's now advertising they dont want to complete FAC's

quentyn

You are now required to provide medical information verified by a GP for all firearm and shotgun applications - this includes renewals. This applies to any application, whether declaring a medical condition or not.   The change is being implemented to enable Cheshire Constabulary to make informed decisions which will protect both the shooting community and the wider public. This will affect any new application submitted from 22nd October 2018 and any renewal from the 21st January 2019.

https://www.cheshire.police.uk/advice-and-support/firearms-and-explosives/

5 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Were are you based Scotslad , our practice  charged me £ 50 . But the money does not go in the doctors pocket . It goes into buying things for the surgery  . As does anyother private medical . So not as bad i think . It just the way it is . I am Stranraer area . But we have a little village surgery . 

Moffat but it only has the 1 doctors now, i fairly recently moved here from the next town down and HAD to move doc's.

1st time they ever seen me was for my renewal, £25, which i don't grrudge and think is a fair price.

But have heard/read about more urban areas up cenral belt way where giving it this 'contenious objection' and completely refusing to fill it out at all or charging sily money.

Really is not a good situation they really have u over a barrell, esp as more and more doctors are 'urbanised' even out in the sticks, it wasn't that long ago that a high % of rural dr's would be shooters.

I ignored my request for money from my doctor, couldn't see why I had to pay. They pretty much demanded it. It was £25, which  isn't a lot but I'll be ****ed if I was going to pay. Especially as  you can go online with my docs and see what their earnings are. £125k a year, don't think you'll miss my £25!

Tickets landed on my door mat 1 week early. 

7 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I ignored my request for money from my doctor, couldn't see why I had to pay. They pretty much demanded it. It was £25, which  isn't a lot but I'll be ****** if I was going to pay. Especially as  you can go online with my docs and see what their earnings are. £125k a year, don't think you'll miss my £25!

Ditto!

28 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Nice area , years ago i used to fish the Nith for salmon at Thorhill .had my first salmon of there in 1986 .

Spent many a pleasant evening in the Duke of Buccleuch Hotel in Thornhill, first time up I caught two fish, 17lbs and 9lbs....never did as well again! Only the occasional one! Happy days! 👍

20 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I ignored my request for money from my doctor, couldn't see why I had to pay. They pretty much demanded it. It was £25, which  isn't a lot but I'll be ****** if I was going to pay. Especially as  you can go online with my docs and see what their earnings are. £125k a year, don't think you'll miss my £25!

That's fine and well, lincs and a few others will decline the renewal without one now. 

8 hours ago, johnphilip said:

..... the money does not go in the doctors pocket . It goes into buying things for the surgery  . As does anyother private medical.

Were you told that your GPs undertake private work, use the fees to subsidise the NHS (“buying things for the surgery”), and take nothing for their labours?

It sounds rather implausible.   Call me a cynic if you wish, but I suspect those fees go straight into the practice income “pool”, from which the GP themselves decide how much they will take out as salary.

• 2 weeks later...

Kent police made my brother in law go to another gp after his refused. He took all his medical notes with him. The new doctor didn’t look at them at all and just read the medical conditions listed in the police letter and said have you had any of these. No was he answer and he signed the letter. Less than 5 minutes £100, but absolutely no value to the police... the gp didn’t even check the notes.

Protecting the public!!?!? I think not

Edited by Tford

1 minute ago, Tford said:

Kent police made my brother in law go to another gp after his refused. He took all his medical notes with him. The new doctor didn’t look at them at all and just read the medical conditions listed in the police letter and said have you had any of these. No was he answer and he signed the letter. Less than 5 minutes £100, but absolutely no value to the police... the gp didn’t even check the notes.

Protecting the public!!?!? I think not

Apart from the hassle of moving to another GP your BiL was lucky to find a sensible one who did the correct thing and signed the letter. The price was exorbitant and as you say there was absolutely no use to the Police/Licencing Team other than in the unlikely event of your BiL causing some harm the Police will blame the GP.

Just another "pass the buck" get out!

If you live in a Police force area that does not insist on having a doctors report (ie not compulsory) do not pay.

I was asked for £40 by my surgery, spoke to my FLO who confirmed that they give the G.P. 21 days to reply to their request, and if they do not receive a reply they process the application based on the information they already hold.

12 minutes ago, peek-at said:

If you live in a Police force area that does not insist on having a doctors report (ie not compulsory) do not pay.

I was asked for £40 by my surgery, spoke to my FLO who confirmed that they give the G.P. 21 days to reply to their request, and if they do not receive a reply they process the application based on the information they already hold.

thats the same down here, i phoned the police H/Q up and they told me not to pay the doctor.if we dont here from your doctor in 21 days we will send it out. and they did.mine doctor wanted £20 he never got it.

Aint it odd that so many fit and healthy people ask their doc for a note for the fac to say they're of sound mind and in  healthy condition and are asked for 10's to 100's of pounds.  Yet some sad little claimant can go in and get a sick note on faulse pretence to claim benefits  or insurance AT NO cost

Perhaps all such should have a value the same as SGC / FAC 

So if a claimant wants a sick note then that will be £100 to £200 per each time

That may put a stop to so many illegal claims and that they have to supply proof as all us SGC / FAC persons have too

Seen this time and time again where in our small community we had a family that had no names  they were called sick note 1 2 3 4 5 6 and 7 and were classed as outcasts claiming for everything that was poss

this led to one of them trailing a stick about for years to the point my comedien uncle suggested to him in a pub to put a wheel on the bottom as it would be easier to trail it about

not long after with nhs reform This **** had to through the stick away and get a job which he had to

5 hours ago, sabel25 said:

Aint it odd that so many fit and healthy people ask their doc for a note for the fac to say they're of sound mind and in  healthy condition and are asked for 10's to 100's of pounds.  Yet some sad little claimant can go in and get a sick note on faulse pretence to claim benefits  or insurance AT NO cost

Perhaps all such should have a value the same as SGC / FAC 

So if a claimant wants a sick note then that will be £100 to £200 per each time

That may put a stop to so many illegal claims and that they have to supply proof as all us SGC / FAC persons have too

Seen this time and time again where in our small community we had a family that had no names  they were called sick note 1 2 3 4 5 6 and 7 and were classed as outcasts claiming for everything that was poss

this led to one of them trailing a stick about for years to the point my comedien uncle suggested to him in a pub to put a wheel on the bottom as it would be easier to trail it about

not long after with nhs reform This **** had to through the stick away and get a job which he had to

Got the same 2 doors up. She lays it on thick, hes her carer (but works when he thinks no one is looking), they have 5 cars (not bad for being on benefits) and as soon as she has a barcadi breezer the stick is forgotten and the dancing shoes are on. *****

I paid £40 yesterday for my letter up here in Turriff, Aberdeenshire. Wasn’t particularly happy at this but just part of the process now I guess. 

Firearms officer is coming round today so fingers crossed everything goes well!