2016 on Kia sorento

BrowningDJC

My other half really wants one of these, whereas I’m wanting a shogun, at the minute I’m loosing the battle! It would be going down to one vehicle so would be used for my syndicate shoot at weekends, occasional feeding round the shoot etc. 

Does anyone have any off road experience with them? I know they are more of a soft roader, but wouldn’t want it to be hopeless. 

Had a Shogun for a couple of years - 3.5 V6 petrol and it was easily the worst car I have ever owned. Drank fuel like it had a hole in the tank and was slow and totally lacking in power. Nice to drive and was OK off road as long as you didn't need any low down power but eventually the cost of Discs (they warp like they are made of plastic) and general maintenance got the better of me - never lost so much on a Car before nor since. Get a Landcruiser.

If its your only car i would go for the sorento without doubt, its a much better all round car. The shogun is a great old workhorse but very old fashioned now. Unless your planning some serious off-roading the sorento will do everything you need it to with some decent tyres, i have seen them tow some heavy old trailers and caravans out of soggy steam rally fields.

We had the old Sorento and now have a new Kia Rio (little buzzbox thing) honestly cant fault Kias service. The little car is only a couple years old but been completely fault free.

The mrs wants a bigger car now, i am pretty sure we will end up with a Sportage or Sorento.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2007 XE and have got to say they are quite suprising off road. Drove my mates on standard road tyres off road in some really snotty conditions up in Dumfries & Gallowaya couple of years ago. It shocked me! It absolutely ate steep, muddy inclines that I thought I had no chance of dealing with in it

• 11 months later...
On 29/01/2019 at 04:12, figgy said:

A seven year warranty is only any good if it's honoured and covers all the bits.

I have one following a bad time with a disco 3. The warranty does exactly says on the tin,  last year four new alloys as one had some corrosion on it they are £240 each, just had a new radiator £450 no quibble. I use mine for stalking had no problems with it, it goes anywhere I need to 

Edited by alan123shooting

7 hours ago, Centrepin said:

MTPLM 1486k

I always try to stay at under 85% of kerb weight.

Stated towing weight of up to xxx from manufacturers means nothing.

Why? the 85% guideline was/is a recommendation for inexperienced towers, even caravan club say up to 100% is fine for people with experience. With ATC and modern cars and chassis designs the figure is becoming even more outdated. Sorento would tow your van with no problem at all. See a lot of them being used for much larger twin axles vans.

9 hours ago, ferguson_tom said:

Why? the 85% guideline was/is a recommendation for inexperienced towers, even caravan club say up to 100% is fine for people with experience. With ATC and modern cars and chassis designs the figure is becoming even more outdated. Sorento would tow your van with no problem at all. See a lot of them being used for much larger twin axles vans.

Maybe I should re visit it next year when I'm looking to change. Mitsubishi Outlander is also on my list of possibles. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2020 at 08:48, Centrepin said:

Maybe I should re visit it next year when I'm looking to change. Mitsubishi Outlander is also on my list of possibles. 

The Mk1 Sorento (up to 2009) had a higher towing capacity (c.2800kg) and was a favourite amongst caravanners and horse box folk.

The Mk2 (late 2009/early 2010 to 2015) had a reduced towing capacity (2000kg) and upset a lot of people and they switched away from them.

Kia corrected that faux par and the newer Mk3 (2015 onwards) is meant to have a higher towing capacity than the Mk2. I've had a look and some models are rated to 250kg or (2500kg if you own a Fiat Panda - Lord Geordie).

My missus had a 2004 Sorento that needed replacing 2 years ago and we bought a 2009 2.5 diesel. We went for as late/new as possible Mk1 to avoid the Mk2 due to the lack of towing capacity. 

The 2016 model should be an (improved) Mk3 but I can't say for sure without looking up the specs. Just depends which one it is.

Our empty horsebox (HB511) is 1000kg and with +1 horse is c.1600 and with +2 is c.2300 max. The Mk1 is `rated` to tow 2800kg, so we're happy with that (the truck is full of pony stuff and adds more weight). Never had an issue towing. 

We don't go off-road much and have road tyres more than 4x4 but they do a very good job. 

*I'm not saying that my figures are exact at the Internet gives variable answers depending on where you look. Engine type/size also influences that.

http://www.towingcapacity.co.uk/car-make-model/kia/kia-sorento/

Edited by hedge
Lord Geordie