Sign in to follow this  
BrowningDJC

2016 on Kia sorento

My other half really wants one of these, whereas I’m wanting a shogun, at the minute I’m loosing the battle! It would be going down to one vehicle so would be used for my syndicate shoot at weekends, occasional feeding round the shoot etc. 

Does anyone have any off road experience with them? I know they are more of a soft roader, but wouldn’t want it to be hopeless. 

Had a Shogun for a couple of years - 3.5 V6 petrol and it was easily the worst car I have ever owned. Drank fuel like it had a hole in the tank and was slow and totally lacking in power. Nice to drive and was OK off road as long as you didn't need any low down power but eventually the cost of Discs (they warp like they are made of plastic) and general maintenance got the better of me - never lost so much on a Car before nor since. Get a Landcruiser.

Next door has a Sorrento and they love it.normally towing horse boxes and the like in muddy fields . Apparently trouble free for the 2 years they've had it. 

She claims a  touch over 30mpg regardless of whether it's towing or not. Not sure of the age, I'd guess around 10 years or so. 

Regarding the shogun I’ve had trouble free Mitsubishi’s for years which is why I’m wary to change. 

The kias 7 year warranty is attractive though 

A seven year warranty is only any good if it's honoured and covers all the bits.

If its your only car i would go for the sorento without doubt, its a much better all round car. The shogun is a great old workhorse but very old fashioned now. Unless your planning some serious off-roading the sorento will do everything you need it to with some decent tyres, i have seen them tow some heavy old trailers and caravans out of soggy steam rally fields.

We had the old Sorento and now have a new Kia Rio (little buzzbox thing) honestly cant fault Kias service. The little car is only a couple years old but been completely fault free.

The mrs wants a bigger car now, i am pretty sure we will end up with a Sportage or Sorento.

I've driven a lot of sportages and really like them. No idea how they would be off road but on the road I prefer them to the rav 4's, quasqai and kugas. 

I have a Yeti and it is great off road on stubbles etc, unless doing heavy duty off road I am sure the Kia will be fine.  Who goes round churning fields up, if its too wet its too wet. 

I have a 2007 XE and have got to say they are quite suprising off road. Drove my mates on standard road tyres off road in some really snotty conditions up in Dumfries & Gallowaya couple of years ago. It shocked me! It absolutely ate steep, muddy inclines that I thought I had no chance of dealing with in it

The sorento is a surprising good vehicle, mitsubishi have lost their way a bit with the green Eco tosh. And being partly owned by the French means they're made of chocolate and balsa wood these days.