Little Stan on beaters day

B725

On the first drive we had the tricky bit to do, shoot any bird's going towards the big house as we cannot retrieve any from the gardens. First two hit but went over the house not a good start the next one was perfect 40 yards out in the open ideal for Stan to retrieve, next thing a cocker streaks through the cover crop and grabs it, Stan had been sitting without moving and just looked at me in disbelief. The next bird came down but was a runner Stan was sent even though this was his first runner. As it was a fair distance away when it hit the ground it then ran into the gardens, Stan stopped on the whistle as asked and then recalled and came back immediately. 

All during the day my little dog behaved perfectly never moving at all from where he was asked to sit. The gun next to me shot a hen bird that fell at the top of a steep bank. When the drive finished Stan was sent for it I left it for him to work out for himself but he very quickly found it 30 yards further away than I thought it was delivered to hand I was well chuffed. He did eventually pick a pricked bird with a little faffing about but soon mastered it. The only movement all day was his head either looking at me or towards the beaters that at time's sounded like a cross between a rave and an argument with the whistling and shouting. He took today in his stride no fuss no drama and did everything I asked of him. I am very proud of this little chap, is he perfect no I still have a few bits to do with him but I cannot believe how good he has turned out. 

1 hour ago, scutt said:

Good write up is Stan a lab or spaniel will he be on rabbits in the summer 

Springer spaniel 

1 hour ago, Salopian said:

B725, Sorry I can't collect Stan tomorrow , will Sunday be okay . Don't worry about paying me I'll do it for free , just this once.

That's fine just come round after I've had a vegan roast dinner 

IMG_20190118_154326.jpg

Edited by B725

Congrats, sounds like u've had a cracking day and a cracking season.

Maes all the hard work u've put into the dog really worth it.

Keep at it and it will be better for next season.

(Ps really welld done it ignoring other dogs running in, is so tempting for a young dog, hence my corkscrew suggestion in previous thread, eing honest not many young dogs will do that, atleast not many i see on various shoots)

B725,

Super looking dog .

What time will you have finished your Nut roast?

Bloody Vegans , I think they all need a good dose of lead.

I used to work with a vegan athlete , who openly admitted he had to supplement his food with various tablets.

But back to the subject , congratulations on having such a dog that has engraved his memory on you for life . We never forget any of our dogs , good or bad , all have  fond memories. But the superb ones live on for ever .