Anyone a pipe smoker?

Retsdon

I'll admit that these days I'm not any kind of smoker at all, but I'm starting to regret that;back when I was I never got around to taking up a pipe.

A while ago I stumbled across this American site https://www.smokingpipes.com and I sometimes just visit there to browse the huge range of pipes on offer. A well made pipe is a piece of fully functional artwork that, to my eye anyway, has a fair bit in common with a nice shotgun or rifle, or a good mandolin or guitar. They're just nice to look at. Then there are the crafted accessories, the different tobacco varieties, the maintenance rituals, etc....and a massive weight of tradition to go on top.

Yep, if you're a pipe smoker, I'm just a little bit jealous!

Indeed I do. It's more than just smoking, it's a hobby and pastime which can be savored. 

On trips to the States I have https://www.smokingpipes.com deliver tobacco to my hotel. Fantastic service and as you say a tremendous range of products. They have recently opened in Europe selling pipes and accessories, but not tobacco as yet https://www.smokingpipes.eu/

No need for you to be jealous,  one click of the mouse on the above website and you can join the exclusive pipe smoking club and spend the next 20 years deciding which tobaccos you prefer.

I used to smoke a few pipes one when rabbit shooting in the dales during summer climbing up and down steep dales near Reeth. 

No chance of smoking roll ups or cigars with sweat dripping off your nose onto them. A pipe was great you could have a few puffs and let it go out. Also nice to empty and refill when waiting for the bunnies to reappear from the warrens. 

Tried lots of different pipe baccy and though some was nice I never felt like I got a smoke from it, couldn't stand the bite either. I bought some Falcon iirc pipes where you place a pipe cleaner ring in the bowl under to catch the bite. Had a straight one but you couldn't let go so bought a bronze coloured bent one with a nice big bowl for more baccy.

Pipe smokers are the only people I've ever seen who get great pleasure from.their smoking.

Edited by figgy

Some of the pipe tobacco smells wonderful, a few of my older relatives smoked pipes. I'll never forget the smell of  Digger and St Bernard the blocks you cut with a k Ife then had to rub up in your hand.

I tried smoking pipe baccy in roll ups, that was quite nice but people thought I was on the Bob Marley specials.

Das don't forget the burnt and discoloured finger from tamping the lit baccy.

Edited by figgy

Years ago I used to make the trip from Harrogate to Bradford to visit a tobacconist near to the old John Street Market. The woman who owned the shop offered a bespoke mixture service to all, at no extra cost She would ask about the regular brands you smoked then devise a mixture which was similar but pleasantly different. Next time you visited she would adjust the mixture again to give your palate a change and would continue to do this each time you called in. These changes seemed to be circular and after six months or so it was roughly back where we started. It was a delightful service.