Advise needed gun blew up!

T bolt hunter

Hi all,

This is my first post and im a new fac holder (only had it a week)!

So as soon as i got my ticket i brought a new .17hmr that day with a mix of amunition to see what it grouped best with, i bought these at the same time as the rifle and asked for a mix of hmr rounds.

Little did i know at the time there was a box of HM2 included as well!  These happend to be the first ones i shot and although i thought they were shorter than the others they fitted the magazine and loaded ok, i just assumed they where a variation of the hmr and i didnt know otherwise at the time! The first 7 shot fine as i was zeroing my scope but the 8th blew up in the barrel destroying the gun and my pants!!

I went stright back to the shop i brought it all from and explaned what happend, they took the gun and all the rounds of hm2 i had left including an unopend box and told me it was a dodgy round that had caused it and they would order me a replacment rife free of charge! Great stuff! The next day i had a call from the shop manager saying they where going to offer me £50 as a good will gesture for the inconvenience which I thought was a nice touch as it was not there fault!

But now ive found out that i shouldn't of brought the rounds in the first place let alone tried to fire them in my rifle i feel they have been trying to sweep it all under the carpet as someone could be in big troble and the offer of £50 is slightly insulting. I wasnt injured (apart from my pants) but from what ive read the potential was highly likely!

Ive spoke to the shop 3 times since i returned the rifle and not once have the said to me it was the incorrect ammo just that one round must of been faulty! 

Question is, what to i do next? Thank my lucky stars im ok and move on? Speak to my feo? Has this happend to anyone before? What do you guys think??

*im not going to disclose the name of the shop i brought from as i understand there could be serious consequences for them, im only here seeking advice.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would you put a 20 bore cartridge in a 12 bore ?

you could make it fit !!! & have something behind it

or a .308 in a .243

lots of others too

this time it was a shops mistake, but what if a mate said “try these 3 1/2 cartridges”

steep learning curve I’d say......also gun shop knowledge varies......a lot 😮

Mistakes happen. It may have been the wrong ammo or it may have been a dodgy round which 17hmrs are well known for.

The shop might have given you a box of hm2 by mistake, but you didn't notice it either. Be grateful you weren't hurt and it's being sorted.

If the shop supplied the cartridges and the rifle, and the cartridges were the wrong ones for the gun, and caused the gun to blow up I would think they would be liable? But if you have returned the rifle and offending ammo and it is no longer in your possession, you have given the evidence away!.....its your word against theirs, if they say it was a faulty round how can you prove it was not? And that they had supplied you with the wrong ammo?

Did the vendor fill in your FAC with gun and ammo and did they specify the type/calibre etc ammo they sold you on it?

Quite a few mistakes here and most covered above.   The important one is you handed them the rifle back, the evidence is gone along with the cartridges.  Major mistake.

If they are giving you a new rifle and the correct cartridges plus £50 as a smoother then you can't grumble.  At the end of the day you put the wrong cartridge in the gun and the two are pretty distinctively different in size alone.  Your lucky.

Advice? Be a little bit more diligent in the future. 

Giver what evidence away? - unless you intend to sue for damages then returning the rifle is not going to change anything - besides, what damage? Life is too short and you were unharmed so I would count my lucky stars and carry on regardless. We are all human and the guy in the shop must be feeling pretty bad - ultimately you should remember the old adage about who is responsible for your Health and Safety - you. Don't mean to be harsh and I do sympathize with your plight - let it go and try put the whole affair behind you .

Just a thought no knowledge behind it, would you also maybe risk a visit and maybe a review from your FEO if you take the matter further, it was after all you who loaded the wrong round, would they question your safety.

Again I have no knowledge of this it is merely an observation.

As Bruno has pointed out you are ultimately responsible for your own safety and others around you and there was also error on your part. I'm in no way trying to say the RFD wasn't at fault.

Edited by Newbie to this

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

If the shop supplied the cartridges and the rifle, and the cartridges were the wrong ones for the gun, and caused the gun to blow up I would think they would be liable? But if you have returned the rifle and offending ammo and it is no longer in your possession, you have given the evidence away!.....its your word against theirs, if they say it was a faulty round how can you prove it was not? And that they had supplied you with the wrong ammo?

Did the vendor fill in your FAC with gun and ammo and did they specify the type/calibre etc ammo they sold you on it?

Liable for what? He isn’t injured. 

The shop is fully replacing the rifle and giving the bloke £50 to apologise for the inconvenience.

The gun shop clearly made a huge mistake, but so did the OP who didn’t know he was putting the wrong ammo into his own gun and firing it. 

Count yourself lucky. 

Think this is a case of thanking the shop for replacing the gun and £50. Then making sure in future you get handed HMR rounds. 

A human mistake by both parties, firstly giving the wrong box of rounds to you, then them being used 'because they fit the mag' 

Pop to primark and get some cheap new pants, then enjoy the new rifle they are supplying you. 

Glad to hear that only your pants were harmed and that you are injury free.. Could have been alot worse. 

As said a few times above.

Be thankful nobody got hurt.

Taking it further leaves you open to action from your Flo for not knowing the difference, because of the different size ammunition they might decide you're not suitable for a FAC.

If the shop had decided it was all your fault and offered no help then yes take it further and suffer the consequences.

Chalk it up to experience and move on with your new gun, £50 and ammo.

I would also not be discussing it around friends and the like as it will get back to the shop and maybe your flo, then it's out of your hands and you suffer whatever actions they decide to take.

Good luck in the future, it's been a harsh first lesson. 

:shaun:

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Liable for what? He isn’t injured. 

The shop is fully replacing the rifle and giving the bloke £50 to apologise for the inconvenience.

The gun shop clearly made a huge mistake, but so did the OP who didn’t know he was putting the wrong ammo into his own gun and firing it. 

Count yourself lucky. 

Liable for remedying the situation! If they replace the rifle and give a payment as a good will gesture, fair enough! But if they renege on the offer and you no longer have the evidence.....what would you do then? How do you prove the barrel burst due to the wrong round being provided (by them) or as they claim, a faulty round? As opposed to an obstruction in the barrel such as a plug of mud, due to your own negligence?........your word against theirs!I

I agree that in this case the OP should perhaps be more diligent in future!

Obviously mistakes were made here, but I think a little bit of understanding and sympathy to the OP wouldn't go astray. He is a new shooter, had the rifle a week and the shop have given him the wrong calibre. As a new shooter (as I am) you assume every one else knows more than you, and what you are being given is correct. I am not saying any further action should be taken against the shop, just think back to a time when you didn't know it all.... Cut him a bit of slack, he won't make the mistake again and hopefully the shop won't either, who I think bear much more responsibility. 

To the OP : if some thing doesn't look or feel right, stop. HM2 and hmr are quite different in size, anytime you are unsure double and triple check. "Sure it will be fine" is not an attitude that works well with firearms! Best of luck. 

Edited by Croohur

I don't think anyone is giving the OP a hard time. He joined this site apparently to ask what to do next and I think has had that answered. Wait for his new gun and spend his £50.

One way or another, the shop are accepting liability and rectifying the situation. What more is there to do?

Unless (and I'm not suggesting it for a minute) the OP is one of those "where there's blame, there's a claim" types. 

5 minutes ago, Croohur said:

Obviously mistakes were made here, but I think a little bit of understanding and sympathy to the OP wouldn't go astray. He is a new shooter, had the rifle a week and the shop have given him the wrong calibre. As a new shooter (as I am) you assume every one else knows more than you, and what you are being given is correct. I am not saying any further action should be taken against the shop, just think back to a time when you didn't know it all.... Cut him a bit of slack, he won't make the mistake again and hopefully the shop won't either, who I think bear much more responsibility. 

To the OP : if some thing doesn't look or feel right, stop. HM2 and hmr are quite different in size, anytime you are unsure double and triple check. "Sure it will be fine" is not an attitude that works well with firearms! Best of luck. 

Cut him some slack eh?

Perhaps he should have asked more questions and got himself more clued up, rather than destroying a rifle, his underpants and possibly killing himself.

Oh well nobody got hurt, let him have another go!

Firearms are rather unforgiving, if you don't know what you're doing, either ask or leave well alone!

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Cut him some slack eh?

Perhaps he should have asked more questions and got himself more clued up, rather than destroying a rifle, his underpants and possibly killing himself.

Oh well nobody got hurt, let him have another go!

Firearms are rather unforgiving, if you don't know what you're doing, either ask or leave well alone!

Yes he should have. I think I made that point. But show me one person who hasnt made a mistake with a firearm and I'll show you a liar. It was a very serious situation and luckily he was unharmed. But to say a new shooter who hasn't been in the sport a wet week should not be involved anymore is unfair. By that rationale the shop should be closed down for negligence. 

3 minutes ago, Croohur said:

Yes he should have. I think I made that point. But show me one person who hasnt made a mistake with a firearm and I'll show you a liar. It was a very serious situation and luckily he was unharmed. But to say a new shooter who hasn't been in the sport a wet week should not be involved anymore is unfair. By that rationale the shop should be closed down for negligence. 

Mistakes yes! But this wasn't an insignificant event, luckily the OP was unhurt, but if he had been injured (or worse) Incidents like this could well lead to new and more draconian procedures being imposed nationally on new applicants, prior to the grant of a FAC.