Pigeon Shooting £1000 per gun per day

butchdickason

It's been a £100 a day for many years for foreign visitors who happily pay it and has probably gone up above that now.  To be honest, to spend many hours and miles finding the birds, then setting everythng up, hides, decoys etc etc., and probably a lunch and flask delivered at lunch time, I think I would want at least that. 

No doubt some wealthy foreigner will pay up, best of luck to him.

Edited by Walker570

Not seen the add but £1000 per day for pigeon shooting is all wrong in so many ways, I would also guess this shooting is mostly on stubble fields when there are some biggish numbers about, once people with money move into this type of shooting it will be harder for the younger shooters to get their foot in the door for free pigeon shooting.

I wonder what % the farmer gets?

4 hours ago, butchdickason said:

There is a new advert on Guns on Pegs for Pigeon shooting £1000 per gun per day, the advert reads very well, but takes pigeon shooting well out of the working mans league, this is only my opinion.

Genuine question......Does this comply with the terms of the general licence? 🤔

Things have not changed in the last 25 plus years the Pigeon Pros have put together a portfolio of farms and estates where they have exclusive use and it has been vociferously contested at times, sometimes very aggressively involving attention from the police. The question of the license is debatable as the farmer/land owner is allowing someone to control pigeon numbers. I don't think there is anything in the act regarding what money or services might change hands.  I think the majority of us make some contribution to the farmer/shoot/land owner for the shooting , be it a number of days beating to a financial agreement.

2 hours ago, The gouse said:

Do you think when game season finishes I could build big pigeon lofts in the pens and do driven pigeons.lol 😂 would be good 💰 at £1000 a gun. Have I got any takers 🤞

Would you consider £850 for an OLD customer  ?       🤔

I have read the advert, and to be honest it looks a good day, you are guaranteed to shoot a minimum of 285 shots and for every cartridge under that figure you are reimbursed £3.50  with a minimum charge of £250 for the day. 

The confidence in the advert sells it very well.. although i will not be booking on..

ATB 

Terry

8 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

I have read the advert, and to be honest it looks a good day, you are guaranteed to shoot a minimum of 285 shots and for every cartridge under that figure you are reimbursed £3.50  with a minimum charge of £250 for the day. 

The confidence in the advert sells it very well.. although i will not be booking on..

ATB 

Terry

It reads as a safe bet but the £250 min charge means you could still be taken for a ride ! I`m very dubious of all these guides tbh,having heard far more horror stories than successful outcomes over the years.

3 minutes ago, matone said:

It reads as a safe bet but the £250 min charge means you could still be taken for a ride ! I`m very dubious of all these guides tbh,having heard far more horror stories than successful outcomes over the years.

:good:Agreed, hence I will not be booking... the ad does read well... but i can miss the pigeons on my own land FOC just as well ...:lol:

28 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

If this kind of shooting takes off i.e. £1k/day pigeon shooting then how long before Landowners start planting crops specifically to attract pigeons? This could, potentially, be very harmful to the whole basis of the kind of shooting that most of us undertake.

Some already do  !

18 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

If this kind of shooting takes off i.e. £1k/day pigeon shooting then how long before Landowners start planting crops specifically to attract pigeons? This could, potentially, be very harmful to the whole basis of the kind of shooting that most of us undertake.

Some 25 years ago there was a guy who took over a lot of good pigeon farms around the Staffordshire/Shropshire area, he had a waiting list of guns from this country and abroad willing to pay between £150/£200 per day, this shooting was on stubble, but to keep the birds interested he would feed the stubbles with wheat and let the bird numbers build before putting paying guns on the fields, there were some big bags taken from these fields on a regular bases.  

41 minutes ago, old'un said:

Some 25 years ago there was a guy who took over a lot of good pigeon farms around the Staffordshire/Shropshire area, he had a waiting list of guns from this country and abroad willing to pay between £150/£200 per day, this shooting was on stubble, but to keep the birds interested he would feed the stubbles with wheat and let the bird numbers build before putting paying guns on the fields, there were some big bags taken from these fields on a regular bases.  

I thought that feeding like that was not in line with the general licence, or even possibly illegal. If not, it`s certainly unethical in my view anyway.

OB