Pigeon Shooting £1000 per gun per day

butchdickason

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Some 25 years ago there was a guy who took over a lot of good pigeon farms around the Staffordshire/Shropshire area, he had a waiting list of guns from this country and abroad willing to pay between £150/£200 per day, this shooting was on stubble, but to keep the birds interested he would feed the stubbles with wheat and let the bird numbers build before putting paying guns on the fields, there were some big bags taken from these fields on a regular bases.  

Yep, it went on down in Oxfordshire area as well around the same time.

Agree with you about the unethical bit, but these people didn't care.  I believe this was before the general license came in, correct me if I'm wrong.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:42, Old Boggy said:

I thought that feeding like that was not in line with the general licence, or even possibly illegal. If not, it`s certainly unethical in my view anyway.

OB

I don't see it as unethical. No different to feeding pheasants in woods, or ducks on ponds.

This "deal" works out at £250/day if it doesn't work then £3.50 a shot if it does work (more than 71 shots being the £250 watershed.) So, if you shoot at the 3:1 ratio many shoots work to, your 71 shots should yield about 24 birds, ie £10 a bird for a wild, un-fed pests. That's if you get 71 shots....

There after at 3:1, it's still £10 a bird.

Cheaper than game shooting but almost no costs involved. A complete con, again.

If people are willing to pay then that's their choice. I would imagine other pigeon guides will benefit from this exercise, as people will shop around and find other guided days for £125/£150.....if I was being cynical then I would wonder if there were a group of guides who may benefit overall from this and if the whole advert is part of a bigger marketing campaign.

I doubt very much that country dwelling experienced pigeon shooters would pay that sort of money.

An experienced guide used to operate near me in the Cotswolds and I was forever telling him and his clients to get off land over which I had the pigeon shooting and over which he had no permissions. He used to get inexperienced guns, mostly Greek if I can remember correctly, to stand in a field all day and he would charge them £200 for the privilege even in those days. Sometimes they never fired a shot but expressed themselves perfectly happy to be out and about.

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:21, Swinton said:

If people will pay it they will charge it.everyshould boycott the shoot.

buti can not see that happening you will always find  some one with more money than brains 

I don't understand your point.

On 02/02/2019 at 13:36, JDog said:

I doubt very much that country dwelling experienced pigeon shooters would pay that sort of money.

An experienced guide used to operate near me in the Cotswolds and I was forever telling him and his clients to get off land over which I had the pigeon shooting and over which he had no permissions. He used to get inexperienced guns, mostly Greek if I can remember correctly, to stand in a field all day and he would charge them £200 for the privilege even in those days. Sometimes they never fired a shot but expressed themselves perfectly happy to be out and about.

Armed trespass then?

BB