Project

fatchap

I'm starting a new project in kitchenware using antler and buffalo horn, And was wondering if anyone on here knows for a fact (lots of contradictory answers elsewhere on the tinterweb) if 2pk epoxy adhesive is food safe?

Dont mind poisoning the wife but my kids don't deserve it yet.

Permabond do food grade 2 part adhesives. The one I`ve got is ET5143 but not sure how much as it was given to me.

Just googled Permabond and there are three types, ET5143, ET5145 & ET5157.

Hope that helps. They do look expensive but it all depends what price you put on your kids health :hmm:

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

Us three must be pretty sad sitting here tapping away at a computer screen. Should be out shooting as are the majority of PWers.

Edit to say that I`ve just seen about 200 pigeons on the field at the back of my house and the wife has arranged that we visit the daughter and family on the dark side in Essex leaving shortly. :unhappy:

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

39 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Us three must be pretty sad sitting here tapping away at a computer screen. Should be out shooting as are the majority of PWers.

Edit to say that I`ve just seen about 200 pigeons on the field at the back of my house and the wife has arranged that we visit the daughter and family on the dark side in Essex leaving shortly. :unhappy:

OB

Dark side, l like it.

Just thinking of the choices 🤔

Well, been sticking handles on kitchen knives for best part of thirty or more year with good old epoxy and still alive and kicking at nearly 78 !/2 ....you notice once past 70 your like a child and count years off in halfs and quarters..???  To be serious for a change. Those folks using th knives and forks etc., are not going to be sucking them are they and the glue is under the antler.

I have antler handled knives from way back when, my grandparents had and used, heaven knows what concotion they were fixed on with..  The Chinese grind it up to give you an edge on your sexual prowess.

I personally would have little fear using a good quality epoxy.    I think more chance of someone cutting their tongues off than getting poisoned.

Edited by Walker570

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well, been sticking handles on kitchen knives for best part of thirty or more year with good old epoxy and still alive and kicking at nearly 78 !/2 ....you notice once past 70 your like a child and count years off in halfs and quarters..  To be serious for a change. Those folks using th knives and forks etc., are not going to be sucking them are they and the glue is under the antler.

I have antler handled knives from way back when, my grandparents had and used, heaven knows what concotion they were fixed on with..  The Chinese grind it up to give you an edge on your sexual prowess.

I personally would have little fear using a good quality epoxy.    I think more chance of someone cutting their tongues off than getting poisoned.

The Chinese grind up epoxy resin, to put an edge on your sexual prowess? 🤔 Don't try this at home! Lol!

17 hours ago, ditchman said:

if a rhino puts all its sexual energy into making its horn..............how does it get a stiffy ?

Has anyone noticed how these serious posts degenerate once Ditchy gets involved ? :hmm:

OB

Hah!  So this antler/horn is being made into a receptical of some sort ??????  Even then, the adhesive betwen two parts should not be obvious....sorry I am at a loss.  I have a very old knife which we now use as the butter knife and it has an antler handle held on by Araldite epoxy and has been like that for at least 30yrs and I'm still here writing this.  I have a server made from a fallow buck antler that we use for laying smoked meats on etc., as a starter and the legs to that are epoxied on but the meat doesn't come into contact anyway. 

Yep I'm attempting to make salt and pepper pots. A lot of people on other forums are split on the safety of it in food contact, some say its perfectly safe when fully cured others disagree.

And as the salt and pepper inside will be in contact with glued base, I'd be interested to know for sure.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Hah!  So this antler/horn is being made into a receptical of some sort ??????  Even then, the adhesive betwen two parts should not be obvious....sorry I am at a loss.  I have a very old knife which we now use as the butter knife and it has an antler handle held on by Araldite epoxy and has been like that for at least 30yrs and I'm still here writing this.  I have a server made from a fallow buck antler that we use for laying smoked meats on etc., as a starter and the legs to that are epoxied on but the meat doesn't come into contact anyway. 

walker what was that...recepticle for mustard or whatever you made from a red deer thingy...you lined that out with some sort of enamel paste....

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

walker what was that...recepticle for mustard or whatever you made from a red deer thingy...you lined that out with some sort of enamel paste....

Yes I remember that post. I really admire all these folk (Ditchman, Walker570, Fatchap et al) that have the skill and imagination to make such bespoke and wonderful items from natural products. Not only are these things functional, they are a great talking point when being used.

I hope that we see photos of the final products by Fatchap on here soon. 

OB

Line the inside with food safe silicone sealant to cover the epoxy.

Myself I wouldn't bother and would just bond them and use, the contact area would still be very small if at all, 

If I'm thinking along the same lines your going to glue a plug into the hollowed antler, if so and only put epoxy on the plug it would not leave any excess to touch salt or pepper.

Another way without need of glue is to use a cork a rebated base, invisible untill turned over.

Edited by figgy