Tropical fish

Dougy

Just thought I would post a random one. 

Orange Dwarf Gourami.

After introducing some fish 18 months ago from a different supplier from my usual and bringing home some infection and losing all but 2 neons I decided to strip it all down and start again. 

New lights, new substrate the lot, after a few weeks and water tests decided to start stocking. 14 Neon Tetra's,6 Silver and 6 Orange Gourami 2 Orange bearded Pleco and a load of cherry shrimp. 

6 weeks in and the shrimps are now reproducing, plants need trimming and very little algae.

20190126_103229-800x600.jpg

Before living here I lived in pembrokeshire. The tap water there was 100% pH neutral. Since living here it's very alcaline and without getting the balance right I get stressed fish very very quickly. Nearly given up down here as I've only had the corys egg up, where as in pembs I had everything breading. Just pleased my clown loach are thriving

Dougy,

Im totally new to fish keeping. We got at Christmas very similar fish - two dwarf gourami, half a dozen neon tetras, some pencil fish, a couple of small catfish and some other sucker catfish things (name escapes me) that help keep the tank clean. 

More work than I imagined, feeding, cleaning, etc etc. 

However, my daughter loves them, and they’re quite relaxing, apart from when the bigger gourami has a go at the other one! 

38 minutes ago, Dougy said:

What your trying to replicate is an eco system, having a good filter system and plant growth helps loads. An hour a week is what your after to maintain it, I now buy my water from the aquatic shop, at £3.50 for 25ltr, far less hassle. 

Didn’t even know you could do that.

I’m fairly on top of partial water changes and adding stuff to the water, cleaning filters etc. 

Be damned if I can get any plants to stay alive though... onto plastic ones now. Fish all appear healthy at least. 

I had a Siamese fighting fish he was stunning to look at, could put a small mirror next to his tank to get him to put on a display and flex his muscles for a few seconds. Had him with a bunch of smaller fish that would apparently be fine. 

Unfortunately one by one we lost all the other fish, and then finally him. Come in one day and just dead. 

Get fed up of then juat randonly dying one by one so got a dog instead 😂

Bit harder to fit in the tank though ...

Edited by Lloyd90

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I had a Siamese fighting fish he was stunning to look at, could put a small mirror next to his tank to get him to put on a display and flex his muscles for a few seconds. Had him with a bunch of smaller fish that would apparently be fine. 

Unfortunately one by one we lost all the other fish, and then finally him. Come in one day and just dead. 

Get fed up of then juat randonly dying one by one so got a dog instead 😂

Bit harder to fit in the tank though ...

But harder to flush down the toilet when it dies as well!

• 2 weeks later...

When I lived in London I had (amongst others) a 6ft x 2ft tall x1ft 8inch tank and at various times kept everything from Discus to a small pike.

My passion was breeding. Put a pair of almost anything in a tank on their own and you'll see behaviour that you'll never see in a community tank. Tilapia Mozambique where the male is like a JCB grabbing mouthfuls of gravel and spitting it out on the glass. Then watch the female, after brooding them in her mouth spit out a cloud of babies only to quickly hoover them all up again whenever danger threatens. Not pretty fish but fantastic to watch.

Breeding Discus is fairly hard but well worth it.

For a test of your eyesight put a pair of those Dwarf Gouramies in a small tank with about 8inches of water. Watch them build a bubble nest on the surface and go boss eyed trying to spot the babies.

Now I just have cold water fish in a 2ft tank and a small pond. Rescued them from a big pond and a council fountain that they wanted to fill in. As good as I am with fish I'm not sure what these are. They don't look like ordinary goldfish to me. I'll post a pic. Have to get rid of some. Got far too many.

Lovely setup by the way.

Edited by toxo

14 minutes ago, toxo said:

When I lived in London I had (amongst others) a 6ft x 2ft tall x1ft 8inch tank and at various times kept everything from Discus to a small pike.

My passion was breeding. Put a pair of almost anything in a tank on their own and you'll see behaviour that you'll never see in a community tank.

Is that because they don't like being watched?

Well just had to do a major change. What i thought was a bit of constipation was actually dropsy. My own fault, ive been so busy with shooting, work and the young un, i didnt notice the signs until to late. Lost those 2 guaramis, 2 cardinals, 2 albino barbs. Thankfully my clown loach are well. 

Changed everything, gravel, plants, food, filters, but boiled the rocks and covers. 

Ill get real plants when the levels are settled after a week. I chucked the lot because of black algae, and we ran out of hydrogen peroxide to dip them in. 

Sad times, the tank looks pathetic now. Might have to consider giving it up, work isnt letting up😔