Disco whine

pigeon controller

29 minutes ago, Davetyler said:

What year disco? Ive only had 200 and 300tdi one is a lt77 and the 300 was a r380 gearboxes. Usually find a gear crunch starting on them then whining noises. Change the oil in the box and diffs and problem solved. I have had it a few times out of the 8 that ive owned 

and do the filter as well................in the box

1 hour ago, Davetyler said:

What year disco? Ive only had 200 and 300tdi one is a lt77 and the 300 was a r380 gearboxes. Usually find a gear crunch starting on them then whining noises. Change the oil in the box and diffs and problem solved. I have had it a few times out of the 8 that ive owned 

Its an 2004 TD5, Its due a service in April I might take it in early. Driving home from todays shooting its been sweet as a nut!!

. O would deffo change the oil and filter in box and the diffs. Most garages wont do it on a service its not that hard to do. The main problem on them is a lift pipe that pulls oil into the engine blocks hence the seized engines thats out there. I find regular service sorts that and another thing is they domt like running hot like the 200tdi hence heads going. I know people who run them 60-40 antifreeze and serviced every 4 thou and still going strong. 

Hmmmm?   Certainly have the oil and filter changed first off and see if that solves the problem. Check thoroughly for leaks.  I had the auto on my X type Jag start to play up and took it in.

The oil was low and when my mechanic checked around he found a very slight leak up by the oil cooler but not enough to become obvious on the garage floor.   If you want 'whine' then have an LT85 box fitted, the one in my Landie zeros all chance of conversation.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Hmmmm?   Certainly have the oil and filter changed first off and see if that solves the problem. Check thoroughly for leaks.  I had the auto on my X type Jag start to play up and took it in.

The oil was low and when my mechanic checked around he found a very slight leak up by the oil cooler but not enough to become obvious on the garage floor.   If you want 'whine' then have an LT85 box fitted, the one in my Landie zeros all chance of conversation.

That's the one to take the missus to the shops in then! 🤐👍

I’ve got td5 defender and that developed a whine under drive. Sounded like and old whistling kettle boiling as revs increased. Turned out to be out put bearing on transfer box going to front prop. Bit of a ball ache but to pinpoint mine I put all four corners on axle stands, started engine, selected 2nd and let wheels drive, she was whistling like a good un! Good luck