Beaters day number 2

Ferret664

Right well today was my beaters day number two Which was on the shoot my.dad keepers . Again walking all day with my dogs. Again a cock bird only day

. First drive is a small wood with a load of marshy boggy ground with a good splash of water . Which always holds a lot of teal and snipe and the wood normally holds a few pheasants but was very quiet on the pheasant front with only 4 in the drive.  Two came over me but were too low and were left. another escaped back through the line without a shot . One did go forward and was dropped . There was a lot of teal and snipe  and I wouldn't like to say what the front guns fired for 3 teal and a snipe !!! I never fired a shot .

Next drive was a wood just beyond this drive . We lined up and started pushing forward . First thing too come back my way was a hen which I left and as we pushed this drive forward it seems we were going to have another disappointing drive .  When a high cock bird came curling back my way hit hard with the first barrel and even though he was coming down gave him a second to make sure he wasn't a runner . Reloaded just in time to see one coming almost down the same line again a cracker.  stoped my swing on the first barrel and missed behind but swung right through and cleanly killed it with the second. 

Next drive was bringing in a long spinney as such that normally holds a good amount of birds and today was no different with plenty going forward and the front guns firing plenty of shots . I had one cock bird come back and was cleanly taken first barrel to fall beside me .

Then we headed up and blanked a wood into a 6 acre cover crops normally a banker for back guns but not a bird came back and all went forward in one go but the front guns added a few here .

One more long walk up the hill before lunch to push a wood . No shots for me here again but some lovey birds were presented and taken  out the front . This was our morning done and back to the yard for lunch.  45 head at lunch so not bad thought we would have had a few more but everyone was having a good time so that all that matters .

First drive after lunch was a cover crop of mustard with the birds flying back to a big 70 acre wood.  Half way through this drive a cock bird came swinging through to my left and I swung round a folded him nicely first barrel.  A few birds went forward and the guns shot well .

Next drive was very disappointing with only a few pheasants  seen but loads of woodcock which was nice to see and a couple of those were added . Nothing came my way this drive. 

Then long walked back to push another block of the 70 acre wood this drive had plenty of birds and produced some real crackers for the front guns . Had a couple of hens come past me all left then I saw a high curling bird which at first glance I thought was a hen but then I saw was a cock bird at which point he was a good 50 yards up and crossing sharply . To my utter amazement he folded to my first shot stone dead . This has to be one of the best pheasants I have shot for a long time . And was very pleasing and was my last shot of the day and what a way to end it with

. Did one more drive which was very quiet and but a few went forward but most escaped out the side . I never had a bird came near . So drew a end to the  day a cracker and I was pleased to end 5 for 7 shots without missing a bird . Total bag was 73 head .

We then headed back to the yard for a fantastic bbq with red deer that i had shot in october in Scotland,   fallow and muntjack , pigeon and partridge and pheasant and normal sausauge and burgers (pork) . what a way to end a beautiful day .