Antique Gun Ownership - Change is coming!

m3vert

What are they trying to achieve? 

I have a Lathe and a milling machine, give me a week in the garage and I could make you a smoothbore STEN gun.

Ban machine tools and I could make a musket with a hacksaw, chisel and file ( and the right pipe).

Your going to be banning a lot of stuff thinking you are keeping people safe ,I can Knapp flint as well!

Edited by Dibble
Clarifying that parts of post are hypothetical.

1 hour ago, Dibble said:

I have a Lathe and a milling machine, give me a week in the garage and I'll make you a smoothbore STEN gun.

Ban machine tools and I can make a musket with a hacksaw, chisel and file ( and the right pipe).

Your going to be banning a lot of stuff thinking you are keeping people safe ,I can Knapp flint as well!

Hi not being a "stick in the mud"but I think it would be wise to retract your post.Just to be on the safe side some people could read it in a different context as to how you want it to read.

18 minutes ago, kamyonsofor said:

Hi not being a "stick in the mud"but I think it would be wise to retract your post.Just to be on the safe side some people could read it in a different context as to how you want it to read.

Really ?
Saying something is possible, doesnt mean they are going to do it.
And if anyone reads what Dibble said in a 'different context' then its them thats the issue.

1 hour ago, Dibble said:

I seriously doubt they know themselves; they give the impression they are clutching at straws in their attempts to curb or stop certain ethnicities shooting each other, and not knowing how to achieve this ( and just as they have done with knife crime ) they target the easiest part of society there is, namely the law abiding. 

21 minutes ago, Scully said:

I seriously doubt they know themselves; they give the impression they are clutching at straws in their attempts to curb or stop certain ethnicities shooting each other, and not knowing how to achieve this ( and just as they have done with knife crime ) they target the easiest part of society there is, namely the law abiding. 

Or "Crime" as we used to know it before we realised removing knives from the world will remove all violent crime.

I'm a Scout Leader and am often surrounded by youngsters of all ethnicities carrying knives, sometimes quite a lot of very large knives.

Edited by Dibble

NABIS said such weapons had been linked with at least four homicides.

It said gangs had increasingly used antique firearms over the past 10 years to get around the UK's strict laws restricting access to handguns.

Nonsense. Gangs easily have access to automatic weapons and shotguns and four homicides is nothing compared to the knife killings and acid attacks on our city streets. 

I would guess that the number of antique firearms used in crime is very low, I know that ammo to fit a 44 Russian can reasonably easily made but at a couple of grand or more not really the cheapest option when you can buy a 9mm cz for £420 new and probably cheaper in eastern Europe and just drive back with it!   

Simple answer is just to have a collectors license where in the collector has to keep a record of sales and transfers between collectors much like an RFD but without the security aspect. Anyone without said license or who owns a gun that falls into license category without such a license can quickly and easily be prosecuted.

I'm loathe to see any further restrictions but if its coming anyway we are probably better suggesting a method that is workable rather than being handed a restrictive set of laws which may damage collections of our heritage.

2 hours ago, demonwolf444 said:

Simple answer is just to have a collectors license where in the collector has to keep a record of sales and transfers between collectors much like an RFD but without the security aspect. Anyone without said license or who owns a gun that falls into license category without such a license can quickly and easily be prosecuted.

I'm loathe to see any further restrictions but if its coming anyway we are probably better suggesting a method that is workable rather than being handed a restrictive set of laws which may damage collections of our heritage.

This makes a lot of sense 👍

17 hours ago, Pointy Hat said:

NABIS said such weapons had been linked with at least four homicides.

It said gangs had increasingly used antique firearms over the past 10 years to get around the UK's strict laws restricting access to handguns.

Does that mean they were the murder weapon ?
Was it the same gun used in all 4 ?

What does that mean 'restricting access to handguns' unless you have very special dispensation, there is NO access to handguns, but they are happy to state that gangs had increasingly used antique firearms, yet we only had 4 homicides that are 'linked' to them ?

What kind of information gathering is that ?

Ill tell you, its the kind of information designed to remove these kind of firearms from legal public ownership, OR , force them into deactivation.
Meanwhile we have semi and fully automatic firearms and ammunition coming through our nice open borders probably every day..

Its like cutting your arm off because your nails need clipping

Edited by Rewulf

It’s all part of an anti shooting agenda over all. So potentially 4 antique firearms have been involved in violent crime. How many plastic BB guns have been used in armed robberies? I bet it’s more than 4. How many axe handles have been used in violent attacks? I bet it’s more than 4. How many terrorists used cars, vans or lorries in violent homicides? More than 4? Back on September the 11th how many planes fell out of the sky killing hundreds of people? They killed more than 4 people. Where do we draw the line? Ban everything? The most commonly used firearms in violent crime are illegally held and obtained. The bank robbers friend the old dawn off shotgun, 9mm handguns because they look gangstaaaaa and the good old AK47 because it’s cheap and almost indestructible. All of these are illegal to own. You wouldn’t even get a 9mm for HAD in this country I don’t think. I could be wrong. Instead of going after a perfectly legitimate and expensive hobby why don’t they get their act together and do some actual policing and target the actual criminals. Removing legally held firearms from legitimate owners would be a huge mistake. 

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:36, kamyonsofor said:

But he is not wrong, not that many years ago virtually all civilian guns were made in backstreet workshops in places like Birmingham or the East End of London using little more than hand tools. It wouldn't be hard to make a gun.  

Drugs and illegal immigrants seem to make it into this country with very little difficulty, why would it be any harder to smuggle in guns? Tackling that requires effort, banning antiques is way easier.

Edited by Vince Green

This is a ploy by NABIS to extend it's empire. I think an investigative journalist could have a field day digging into this organisation and it's funding, Private company/Public money/complete monopoly that all police forces signed up to. Remember this is the outfit that misinformed parliament in the recent High power and lever release rifle debate and also were behind the recent BBC production concerning antique weapons indicating that all the components to load cartridges could be bought online.

It's also a fact that the number antiques firearms that have been linked to crime is actually falling from previous years. The four fatalities previously mentioned were over an eight year period. 

Among their advisors is Dr. Peter Squires, an avid anti-gun academic who is based at Brighton University.

https://www.brighton.ac.uk/research-and-enterprise/groups/social-science-policy/research-areas/firearms-crime-and-gun-control.aspx

https://theconversation.com/criminals-are-using-antique-weapons-due-to-a-loophole-in-uk-law-102666

The most workable licensing solution would probably be something along the lines of the airgun one in Scotland i.e licensing the individual rather than specific guns. Having to prove 'legitimate' reason for ownership etc. Either way, there will be a significant amount of heritage lost through 'amnesties' etc if the law changes. I doubt the police will be advising individuals that there is potential historical/financial value in what they hand in. It'll just be straight into the crusher.

1 hour ago, HW95J said:

The most workable licensing solution would probably be something along the lines of the airgun one in Scotland i.e licensing the individual rather than specific guns. Having to prove 'legitimate' reason for ownership etc. Either way, there will be a significant amount of heritage lost through 'amnesties' etc if the law changes. I doubt the police will be advising individuals that there is potential historical/financial value in what they hand in. It'll just be straight into the crusher.

I'm not sure how 'legitimate' reason would be interpreted. I have several, but I'm no longer a collector. I have them because I like them. 

Edited by Scully