Antique Gun Ownership - Change is coming!

m3vert

2 hours ago, HW95J said:

The most workable licensing solution would probably be something along the lines of the airgun one in Scotland i.e licensing the individual rather than specific guns. Having to prove 'legitimate' reason for ownership etc. Either way, there will be a significant amount of heritage lost through 'amnesties' etc if the law changes. I doubt the police will be advising individuals that there is potential historical/financial value in what they hand in. It'll just be straight into the crusher.

A  licensing solution for antiques will mark the end of our  gun heritage and the Victorian and Edwardian gun craftsmanship which was the best in the world , Are we blind and not seeing what has gone on before , lets take the provincial  hammer gun with the security cabinet law when a cabinet cost more than what the gun was worth  with the result that not hundreds but  thousand ended in the  Furness  and with it died a large percentage of Damascus barrel some thing that will never be repeated   To some  antiques are just a load of scrap  most shooting organisation would  not care if they were disposed  but it is a vital part of our gun heritage and once gone will never and I will say it again NEVER be replaced 

Feltwad

100_2155.JPG

Edited by Feltwad

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I'm not sure how 'legitimate' reason would be interpreted. I have several, but I'm no longer a collector. I have them because I like them. 

Exactly, Ive got swords, knives, machetes and all kinds of weapony type things, it doesnt mean I want to use them on people.
I like them, they interest me, like people have ornaments on their mantlepiece, or stamps and model trains.

Do we have to have a 'good' reason to collect things ?

16 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Exactly, Ive got swords, knives, machetes and all kinds of weapony type things, it doesnt mean I want to use them on people.
I like them, they interest me, like people have ornaments on their mantlepiece, or stamps and model trains.

Do we have to have a 'good' reason to collect things ?

Wholeheartedly agree. I too have a nice collection of bayonets and knives, yet I have no desire to stab anyone. Strange. 

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

Wholeheartedly agree. I too have a nice collection of bayonets and knives, yet I have no desire to stab anyone. Strange. 

I have a shed full of nice sharp garden tools, and a kitchen full of various knives and cleavers.
Believe it or not , I like gardening and cooking, weird how people dont seem to be nervous about these 'weapons' but get all excited when someone mentions 'gun' or 'Rambo knife'

4 hours ago, Scully said:

I'm not sure how 'legitimate' reason would be interpreted. I have several, but I'm no longer a collector. I have them because I like them. 

No idea! I'm 100% against any further regulation but you can imagine some nonsense like this coming about