Shooting top barrel first

B725

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

The best round of clays I shot, I noticed just before the end that I'd knocked the selector over and was shooting the top barrel, which was the tighter choke on the first shot and the bottom barrel, the more open choke one on the further away second shot. Had done it on 80% of the course and think I shot my best score. 

On the weekend I did it again (although with a different gun) and fired top barrel first, used tighter choke, and dropped a hen pheasant with a headshot at 30 yards going across.

As said, I doubt it makes much difference. 

You could well be right

On a recent walk up day shooting with a couple of French guys

I took the first bird well out and was well chuffed then realised the selector was on the top barrel

But it's a Lincoln 16g and the selector is the opposite way round to my other guns

But reverted back to bottom barrel first and had a very successfull day

Better still outshot the French guys 10 to 1 

I have watched a slow motion vid dispelling the muzzle flip myth. Might have been YouTube but I can't remember. 

I thought  ( most probably wrongly ) bottom barrel first reduced the heat haze around the rib when doing DTL.

Decoying etc, I used to put heavier choke in the bottom and fire top first for easier loading.

Gladly I don't have such a ridiculous weapon as an over and under so it's no longer an issue.

3 minutes ago, oliver90owner said:

Its a pigeon forum.  Clearly, few shoot driven game!  Probably still better to put the tighter choke in the bottom barrel, if one has that option, for driven game.

I think you'll find a lot on here do driven game or do the odd driven game day Others only shoot rifles

As  i do some driven days and rifle shoot  as above does that make us  exempt from this PW forum?

I have had two O/U fixed choke  shotguns One i still have Bottom barrel is the open choke and the top barrel the tighter choke and one was a Spanish gun and the one i use is Italian

So there must be a reason for this set up  And that is how i set up my multi choke O/U's

9 hours ago, oliver90owner said:

Its a pigeon forum.  Clearly, few shoot driven game!  Probably still better to put the tighter choke in the bottom barrel, if one has that option, for driven game.

I shoot driven game and usually half and half; I still shoot bottom barrel first, which is my sequence for everything, whether it be game, clays, decoying, rabbits or whatever. 

9 hours ago, oliver90owner said:

Forum might be called pigeon watch but there are sections for vermin wildfowl game management stalking motoring. So id call it a shooting forum. 

I usually put a slightly tighter choke in the SECOND barrel I shoot, whichever that may be, on the basis the target is probably slightly further away by the time I let it go.

Probably **** about face and all in my head, but its the way I've done it and got used to, everyone will have there own views!

14 minutes ago, B725 said:

Having read all the replies still no definite answer as why they originally designed to shoot bottom first. 

I wasn't aware OU's originally were designed to shoot bottom barrel first. The option has always been down to the user as far as I'm aware, just as with a sxs's option to fire left or right. 

5 hours ago, B725 said:

Having read all the replies still no definite answer as why they originally designed to shoot bottom first. 

If they had double trigger then its up to you which to pull first and that would be personal pref on front or back trigger. If no selection on the gun and single trigger that would be the manufacturer of the gun making the decision for you. 

On 27 January 2019 at 15:44, oowee said:

If its a silver pig it's mandatory to use top barrel first as you need to use two hands to properly open it to get at the bottom barrel. 

Yes that's what I do as I believe I can reload quicker. I shoot 1/4 and 1/2.

Edited by pigeon controller