Interesting...

Walker570

Magpies starting to come back on the silage pit, so went along this afternoon to have a look but there was a high wind driving straight into the face of the pit, so i took a sighting shot onto the concrete directly opposite and the wind was moving it two dots to the left. Fine thats no problem. Magpie dropped in at about a 45 deg angle to my sighting shot and slightly into the wind.  I gave it two dots and saw it duck.  I quickly took a second shot as I was sure I had just skimmed over the top. The magpie ducked again and then flew off.   I then took a sighter on the wall directly below where it was sitting and the shot fell almost three dots high and two dots left.  Scratched my head for a minute or so, then it dawned on me. The wind was hitting the front of the silage and surging upwards just at that point.

Fired another, same result, pellet marks 1/2 inch apart. Took another sighter about 5yrds further along away from the face of the silage and was back to 2 dots left but very slightly low slightly longer shot but no updraught.   Another lesson learned.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Another lesson learned.

that air rifles don't like the wind?

I read something years ago saying that.177 pellets possibly in fac should perform better in the wind than the bigger calibres as there is less area for the wind to push, but folk tend to say that a bigger heavier pellet bucks the wind better?

I was just not reading the landscape as well as the wind on this occasion, amazing how the pressure pushed it up one dot higher on the scope than the horizontal wind did.   I had not figured in the updraft from the silage face would make such a difference and it was just in a space of a yard or so and had to be where that maggie chose to land.

My first sighter was to assess the effect of the wind. I knew the rifle was on.  Two dots left, OK next maggie gets two dots left, simple ...so I thought.

Edited by Walker570

30 minutes ago, Mice! said:

that air rifles don't like the wind?

I read something years ago saying that.177 pellets possibly in fac should perform better in the wind than the bigger calibres as there is less area for the wind to push, but folk tend to say that a bigger heavier pellet bucks the wind better?

A higher bc pellet should do better in the wind than a lower one .

But pellet speed makes a difference too .

So a .22 at say  bc 0.03  and 570 fps 

Would drift less than a .177 bc of 0.21 also at 570 fps .

But a .177sub 12 does 770 fps so equaling out the bc difference .