Cocker shaking game-how to stop?

Have u seen those plastic? duck type dummies? I think called dokken? or something like that.

They have a hard floppy head and hard floppy tail to help ur dog grip them correctly but i was told also if ur dog shakes (tend to be duck dummies) so eso relevant coming out of water and the head/tail are meant to whack the dog on nose as it shakes.

Have seen them but never used 1 so have no idea if true or not.

Does ur dog do it with all game or just larger game? Some cockers are quite small nowadays so mibbee its it trying to get a better grip on bird? Just a random idea if it was fine with partridge or teal?

2 minutes ago, novice cushie shooter said:

I would say its more a shaking to kill the thing tbh. She shakes it and rags it there dislodging feathers making her her drop it. She is small. I dont want to shout or punish her as it may put her off and god knows ive had enough of a job getting her here. 

You'll have to do something. 

Is she a keen retriever? 

I would throw the dummy retrieve and give lots of praise for not shaking, then throw the cold game and get her to retrieve it back quickly. If she stops to rag it run towards her making a gruff noise, but just don't actually touch her. Once she stops ragging it recall her with a high pitch super enthusiastic voice whilst backing away and calling her in :) 

I would keep the retrieves very close to you so you can easily get out and show your not impressed with the behaviour. 

Honestly though it sounds like the dog has been spurred, has she had any runners recently? I would give lots and lots of cold retrieves until the dog sees that she isn't going to get spurred again and then when back in the field start at basics such as only sending the dog for stone dead birds to begin with. Build her confidence back up.