Gerry78

Heavy Clay loads Recommendations ?

Wanted to ask clay pigeon shots could they recommend a heavy clay load for shooting DTL I have a new browning A5 Semi auto that i use for ducks when im not using my aya magnum It has 3 1/2 inch chamber and have tried light loads thru it which it doesn't like my mate wants start doing more clay targets off season and will be taking the semi out any recommendations ?

What have you been using? It should handle any 28g 70mm load fine. Some of them recommend breaking in with bigger loads to start with.

Yes sorry bornfree just that A5 Doesn't like the lighter clay loads

Smokersmith it handles 2 3/4 and 3 inch steel no problem just light clay loads very fussy

2 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Yes sorry bornfree just that A5 Doesn't like the lighter clay loads

Smokersmith it handles 2 3/4 and 3 inch steel no problem just light clay loads very fussy

Try something like a hull sovereign or express world cup.

7 minutes ago, bornfree said:

Try something like a hull sovereign or express world cup.

Those are deffo the fast (and expensive) options. Sometimes cheaper ones can still give a thump as they use cheaper powder. Good luck with your search! Perhaps a 28g steel load would be worth a try ?

Cheers mate browning a5 good field gun but with 3 1/2 chambers light loads can cause cycle problems try hull if i can get them👍

To find the fast loads check out the cartridge Velocity thread pinned at the top of the bullets and cartridge topic. The so called fast expensiveoads are rarely that fast.

Try the Hull superfast 27g 7.5 shot

They're a fast and punchy cart that will work well in a semi at less than £200 per thousand

Gamebore Dark storm 28g are the fastest lead shot clay cart in the test.

Gerry make sure to put a drop of oil on the slide rails and recoil spring, your gun should cycle at loads without problem.

Cheers lads thanks figgy yes I’ve only took the auto out a few times I put bout 100 of 2 3/4 gamebore steel and 3inch mammoth to loosen it up but when went to clay range tryed GBs it didn’t cycle some of them talking to firearms dealer he said with A5 built like Benellis they can be picky with inertia driven mechanisms but il try them loads yas recommend cheers 👍👍👍👍👍👍

I have a Franchi affinity which has 3" chamber and handles all the 28g loads no problem. This is very similar to the Benelli system, in fact it is made in the Benelli factory. I mostly use Gamebore victory and put plenty through without a problem. 

Gerry, have you stripped your A5 down to it`s individual components and thoroughly degreased it?

Inertia operated guns can be picky with light loads but it doesn`t hurt to get right inside the bolt and ensure that the inertia spring and rotating bolt head is completely unobstructed by packing grease. This modern grease is almost invisible but leaving it on the various moving parts can slow the action down just enough to prevent correct cycling.

Mudpatten i stripped it down when got it and cleaned it but you could be right there could be grease left behind IM getting fed up with semi autos mate problems with the maxus then sold it now A5 think when i get the queens coins saved trading in for o/u Glad i have my aya s/s As my main gun I Know autos can be picky The mate bought a new beretta A400 Mossy oak xtreme for waterfowl Gas piston same thing spitting out duck cartridges no problems went to clay ground wouldn't cycle light clay loads and thats a gas gun there meant to be more forgiving lol :hmm:

Have you a special reason for using a 3 1/2" chambered gun?

Edited by BlaserF3

Gerry I've had a few different autos Beretta among them on my third 3 1/2" gas operated gun for wildfowling, just a hint of fouling on the mag tube and dry rails and you have little chance of cycling clay loads unless they are kicky.

Your A5 will need a good strip and clean with a good degreaser then lubricating on reassembly.

I have little swabs to get in firing pin housing and rails to make sure all the crud is out.

Running your gun with a drop or two in the recoil spring tube in the stock and the slide rails wet as they say with oil makes all the difference in cycling lighter loads, even more so on a new gun. Putting a few hundred heavier carts helps but thousands of them make it slick  on cycling.

Gerry when you get your semi auto run in right they're a great bit of kit. Stick with it.

My Benelli which is well ran in stuck a few times with clay loads short cycling as it was ready for a strip and clean after a thousand or so carts in damp weather, it had bits of powder stuck with other carp that had blown in when using it. 

Over and unders are not without faults.

Edited by figgy