Rifle cabinet Question

wildfowler.250

9 minutes ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Quick question guys,

Are the rifle cabinets with the *separate compartment within* for the bolts/ammo a legal requirement? Or are the shotgun style cabinets legally perfectly acceptable to store rifles? Shotgun cabinets can be used for storing rifles, providing they meet the standards required.

Cheers!

I was always told that bolt's and ammunition are better stored away from the firearms. One of my cabinets has a built in compartment, but it's not used.

Shotgun cabinets are perfectly fine to store rifles in, with or without their bolts. All my ammo however, is stored in a separate cabinet ( my old pistol cabinet ) but that's only because none of my shotgun cabinets has a separate compartment. My pistol cabinet does, and I indeed stored my pistol ammo in that at the time. 

The only legal requirement is for Section 1 ammo to be kept separate from the Section 1 firearms and both locked  You don't have to remove the bolts. Whether you keep the ammo in a separate safe (as I do) or locking top compartment makes no difference. 

The only trouble you might find with a shotgun cabinet is it isn't as deep as a rifle cabinet and it might be a squeeze getting rifles with scopes in there. If they fit though, that's fine. 

So presumably I could put in small lockable box inside the cabinet for the ammo? I’ve got a small shotgun cabinet and will get a deeper rifle one eventually but currently if I can avoid another £200 then ideal.

Agree storing separately is sensible but just wondering what bare legal minimum is . 

Cheers guys!

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

It appears to depend on how your FEO feels on the day! 🤐 another licensing matter the police interpret to suit themselves?

Yes I’ve had that impression!

15 minutes ago, walshie said:

The only legal requirement is for Section 1 ammo to be kept separate from the Section 1 firearms and both locked  You don't have to remove the bolts. Whether you keep the ammo in a separate safe (as I do) or locking top compartment makes no difference. 

The only trouble you might find with a shotgun cabinet is it isn't as deep as a rifle cabinet and it might be a squeeze getting rifles with scopes in there. If they fit though, that's fine. 

This. 

5 hours ago, panoma1 said:

It appears to depend on how your FEO feels on the day! 🤐 another licensing matter the police interpret to suit themselves?

Exactly.  There is no set practise other than use your common sense and make your storage arrangements as strong and as diverse as you can. Then they have great difficulty in making an argument.   It is not always the FEO it is what their instructions are from above. 

Well as always it's all to do on how feo in different regions interpret the laws

My feo advised removing bolts and store them in  lock box so was'nt going to argue against him and have heard some of my mates doing the same in this county

But here we do not need expensive doctors letters on applying or renewing tickets

12 hours ago, Sako7mm said:

I don’t doubt that you have been advised this is the case.

But it is definitely incorrect.

Probably but i was'nt going to question it at the time

Might ask the question on renewal thou

But on what i hear and read on other feo's in other county's i think we have one of the best here in Northumberland