Browning Maxus Trigger Problems

kippylawkid

Recently bought a brand new Browning Maxus. Initially very impressed with the gun, fits well and the recoil is hardly noticeable.

However, I was shooting pigeons this weekend and on Saturday I was unable to fire the second shot on 3 occasions.. The cartridge recycles fine (32g No 5) but i couldn't fire the second shot.

Went on Sunday and exactly the same thing happened, except more regularly. It is as if the safety was on. I double checked I wasn't inadvertently catching the safety but definitely wasn't.

I cleared the gun and started again, only for the same problem to come back after 5 or 6 shots. Gun is spotless, only had a maximum of 300 shells through.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you remedy?

As I say, I really like the gun but can't put up with this - particularly when pigeons are piling into the decoys!

TIA

24 minutes ago, kippylawkid said:

Yes, I must admit that's my gut feeling. I'm curious if any PW members have experienced this. 

Also another note, did you check over the cartridges? Did they have any indentation on the primers at all? Sure it wasn’t a ‘light strike’ ? 

Could have just been that batch of carts 🤔

28 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Also another note, did you check over the cartridges? Did they have any indentation on the primers at all? Sure it wasn’t a ‘light strike’ ? 

Could have just been that batch of carts 🤔

Good point, I think they're ok as I have been using the same shells through my O/U with no problem. Strike seems fine on the empties.

54 minutes ago, rangey said:

Had this happen a few times and found I wasn't fully releasing the trigger on quick fire second shot. Fully release trigger between shots and never had the problem again.. Worth a try before returning the gun

I have had this problem with my Beretta 303 too. My fault entirely, just not fully releasing the trigger between shots.

Bought the Maxus when it first came out years back black synthetic model after couple seasons in duck hide same thing second shot the trigger wouldn’t go back when trying to fire it send it back to browning through dealer same thing it happened again so sold it bought new Browning A5 it doesn’t like light loads Think that be last semi auto I buy stick to my side by side AYA NO3 👍

16 hours ago, Westley said:

I have had this problem with my Beretta 303 too. My fault entirely, just not fully releasing the trigger between shots.

17 hours ago, rangey said:

Had this happen a few times and found I wasn't fully releasing the trigger on quick fire second shot. Fully release trigger between shots and never had the problem again.. Worth a try before returning the gun

16 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

My father had this issue on his Maxus, and it was resolved by Browning.

Thanks for replies lads. I will have a go at consciously releasing the trigger. I've googled this and it is a repetitive issue with the Maxus, the USA guys go into it in great depth on their sites. I must admit it's the first I've heard of it. If it starts interfering with my shooting it will definitely be going back. You're concentrating on the bird and shouldn't have to worry about whether the gun is going to work. 

41 minutes ago, JDog said:

Two points.

1. Where you wearing gloves at the time? Sometimes with gloves I cannot feel the trigger release quite so cleanly.

2. I thought you never needed a second shot.

1. No gloves - we're made of whinstone in Northumberland.

2. Unfortunately I need the second and third shot on a regular basis!

Consciously releasing the trigger is new to me - I'll have to get my head around it.I do like the feel of the gun, it points very nicely.  

3 hours ago, kippylawkid said:

1. No gloves - we're made of whinstone in Northumberland.

2. Unfortunately I need the second and third shot on a regular basis!

Consciously releasing the trigger is new to me - I'll have to get my head around it.I do like the feel of the gun, it points very nicely.  

If my experience is anything to go by you will soon learn to relax your trigger finger after the first pull. This should normally be enough to cock the gun for another shot.

Update. I used my Maxus on our syndicate cock day on Friday and had a brilliant morning flightline shoot in the snow on Saturday. As the learned JDog suggested I consciously relaxed after each shot and the gun never hicked. Thanks for all the replies, it has hopefully saved me the hassle of sending the gun back to Browning.