To Multi Choke or not ?

Gameking

Gents

My favourite  Shotgun is a Browning 12g Trap gun , Fixed choke 3/4 and full. 32 " barrels, firing bottom barrel first.

I use this for game, pigeons / vermin and clays.

I am thinking about having this converted to multi choke to give me more flexibility and to do more clay shooting disciplines out of the game season.

Has anyone had this done ?

Can you please give me your opinion on who is best  to do the work ( Teague / Briley or others ? )  and what are the likely costs.

Overall is it worth it ? And what multi chokes would you buy - I want extended chokes for ease of changing.

I could buy a multi choke gun instead, but would much prefer to keep with my favourite.

Looking for users real life experiences of this course of action.

Thanks in anticipation.

If you're set on having the work done the teague is the way to go in my opinion, though it incurs quite a cost and a wait as following the work it will have to be sent to be reproofed, at further cost.  

On the other hand, if you shoot well with it as it is then why change it? A multi choked gun won't improve your hit rate if you're already an experienced shot. 

5 hours ago, Gameking said:

Gents

My favourite  Shotgun is a Browning 12g Trap gun , Fixed choke 3/4 and full. 32 " barrels, firing bottom barrel first.

I use this for game, pigeons / vermin and clays.

I am thinking about having this converted to multi choke to give me more flexibility and to do more clay shooting disciplines out of the game season.

Has anyone had this done ?

Can you please give me your opinion on who is best  to do the work ( Teague / Briley or others ? )  and what are the likely costs.

Overall is it worth it ? And what multi chokes would you buy - I want extended chokes for ease of changing.

I could buy a multi choke gun instead, but would much prefer to keep with my favourite.

Looking for users real life experiences of this course of action.

Thanks in anticipation.

Personally I would not take any of my 32" trap guns out after game, far too heavy, used one in the pigeon hide once, now use a 24" barrelled Semi-Auto.

I use a SxS on game, either 25" or 28" barrels. 

When I shoot clays I invariably use a 32" barrelled trap gun there as that is what they are designed for!

I also bought a second set of barrels for one of the Beretta Trap guns and had them Multi-Choked by Chris Potter with long Series 1 Briley chokes that throw lovely patterns. But I kept the original 3/4 and Full fixed choke barrels!

11 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

I dont shoot clays  so personally I am glad all my guns have fixed chokes or I would be forever fiddling and changing.

Blackpowder

That's one of the reasons I bought a fixed choke trap gun.

I was sick of messing with chokes,on my sporter. 

IF you really must go for multi chokes, I too would get the Briley from Chris Potter. All of my multi choked guns are fitted with Briley extended chokes, apart from my 20 bore O/U game gun, that has Briley flush chokes.  For sporting clays it is I/C in both on my O/U,  or I/C (1/4) in my auto. I would not buy a load of different chokes either 2 x I/C  and 2 x Mod should cover everything.

I have two identical guns - one is multi-choked, with an adjustable stock, the other is a non-adjustable stock and fixed chokes. It was originally 3/4 and full - opened up by Nigel Teague to 3/8 and 3/8. I never use the multi-choke. Get the barrels opened up and save a fortune.

I also have fixed chokes, and overcome this with a little time on the pattern plate.

Buy a selection of fibre and plastic wad cartridges in different shot sizes, and pattern them at 10 to 15 yards.

You will find a considerable pattern difference in cartridges.

Eley fibre 8's give over double the pattern size compared to a plastic 7.5 in 3/4 choke.

Just change cartridge for closer stuff.

Much cheaper and easier than multichoke.

13 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I have two identical guns - one is multi-choked, with an adjustable stock, the other is a non-adjustable stock and fixed chokes. It was originally 3/4 and full - opened up by Nigel Teague to 3/8 and 3/8. I never use the multi-choke. Get the barrels opened up and save a fortune.

That is exactly what i would do, I shoot 3/8 in both barrels of my F3 and I have not found anything I could honestly say I missed because of too much or not enough choke

keep it as is..it is a trap gun/high bird gun.Then rather than spend £500-£600 messing with it go buy a 2nd hand multi choke sporter for skeet/sporting/hide gun etc.....personally I now think multi chokes are the devils distraction and rarely change what is stuck in!..Of all the important things of shotgun shooting I would put choke right down the bottom of the list..and if you ever came to sell a trap gun I would think the fact it has been 'messed' with would detract from its value..Dave Carrie 3/4 & 3/4 Digweed/Faulds full/full....don't tinker.

atb

I shoot with a multi choke gun. Cant remember when I last changed the combination, if ever. May as well be a fixed choke for all its worth. I think if you find a cartridge you like, a choke combination you like, shoot it and shoot it some more and dont worry about changing. Its nice knowing I can change the combination if I want but I never do. Problem I find with multi is that if you have a bad day you blame the choke and not yourself, or at least I know people that do. If the gun is fixed its down to you and you only and you cant use the gun as an excuse.

20 hours ago, Jbob said:

I shoot with a multi choke gun. Cant remember when I last changed the combination, if ever. May as well be a fixed choke for all its worth. I think if you find a cartridge you like, a choke combination you like, shoot it and shoot it some more and dont worry about changing. Its nice knowing I can change the combination if I want but I never do. Problem I find with multi is that if you have a bad day you blame the choke and not yourself, or at least I know people that do. If the gun is fixed its down to you and you only and you cant use the gun as an excuse.

Completely agree. 

On 29/01/2019 at 11:22, jpigeon3 said:

I also have fixed chokes, and overcome this with a little time on the pattern plate.

Buy a selection of fibre and plastic wad cartridges in different shot sizes, and pattern them at 10 to 15 yards.

You will find a considerable pattern difference in cartridges.

Eley fibre 8's give over double the pattern size compared to a plastic 7.5 in 3/4 choke.

Just change cartridge for closer stuff.

Much cheaper and easier than multichoke.

Yep. With the bonus that there's no faffing about once you're sorted. My personal preference is 1/4 by 3/4 actual for pigeon with a favourite cartridge and then work with that for all else with different cartridges. All I would add is that it's better to check the pattern towards your maximum range although the traditional 40 yards serves you well. Experience has shown that if you pattern at 20 yards and you then do it again at the 40, it's odds on that you'll get a more open result by at least one degree of choke. I was home and dry with the Webley and Scott but with the Chapuis I had to get Teague to permanently install 3/8 by 7/8 as the original boring wouldn't quite perform. From then on, it'd just shoot and forget.