Rented accommodation and gun cabinates?

Right gents, here’s the question.

Currently I share firearms with the old man, no biggy.

Moving in with the girlfriend soon,(can of worms) 8 hours away and I was going to take a rifle / shotgun with me.

Issue is that the girlfriend’s flat is rented and typically, newly refurbished. No real utility cupboard either. I can’t imagine the guy is going to be keen for me to put 4 big bolts into the wall,(floor no better).

Any way around this? There must be heaps of folk on here renting and still managing to store their guns. The safe itself isn’t an issue. It’s just how do I secure it to the building without making a huge mess of the place and,(even with 4 neat bolts) losing deposit ect?

Worst case scenario is I can leave the guns at my folks but it’s far from ideal and likely future places will be rented as well.

Cheers! 

No problem i have done this twice. Speak to the landlord and explain situation. Pay if you have to an additional bond (£100?) to cover the repair if you vacate and do not repair. 

Or just do it and accept that you have to put it right when you go. I advised my landlord in both cases and they were happy. 

You have to be very careful about rented properties because most landlords download pre written generic contracts which ban everything including  parties,  pets, guns, drilling holes in walls etc. two choices, inform landlord and hope for an adult response or do it anyway but carefully restore damage properly before leaving (my choice)   

Edited by Vince Green

An added complication is whose name is on the tenancy agreement, I assume gf? If it is in her name it’s not for you to do anything including approaching the landlord. If you are varying the tenancy agreement to add your name, and they will charge you for it, you might check then that you are allowed to fix things to the walls. Some do not even allow picture hooks. If you go ahead and just do it the agent will pick it up on inspection so you can’t get away with it.

My conclusion is therefore you/gf have little choice but to say what you are doing and hope they agree.

good luck

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

An added complication is whose name is on the tenancy agreement, I assume gf? If it is in her name it’s not for you to do anything including approaching the landlord. If you are varying the tenancy agreement to add your name, and they will charge you for it, you might check then that you are allowed to fix things to the walls. Some do not even allow picture hooks. If you go ahead and just do it the agent will pick it up on inspection so you can’t get away with it.

My conclusion is therefore you/gf have little choice but to say what you are doing and hope they agree.

good luck

Cheers for the help guys, appreciate it all the suggestions!

Dave you’ve pretty much hit the nail on the head, that’s basically all the things the GF has been saying! She hasn’t even got pictures/paintings on the wall.

So really I’ve to go on the agreement then ask about adding holes to the wall, which they may well say no.

And if I crack on and do it anyway it could be tricky. She’s worried if it gets noticed on an inspection we’ll get turfed out.

Nightmare the whole thing because I can imagine even if we changed flat it would be a similar story. 

Thanks again!

Edited by wildfowler.250

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

If you are worried about an inspection then hide the cabinet in a wardrobe with the back cut out/removed so the cabinet can still be bolted to the wall, if you are happy with not informing the landlord, just remember you may loose your deposit or some of it at least if the landlord hasn't agreed.

Sadly there’s no fixed wardrobe! Just moveable cupboards we’ve bought

57 minutes ago, Seadog1408 said:

As a landlord I would expect a tenant to ask to fit a cabinet.

I don’t mind asking. It’s just if you get a no it’s a bit difficult. As a shooter and landlord I can imagine you see both sides of that. Other people might not be so flexible

Having rented many places I would say bolt it in, hide it inside a suitable bit of furniture, make good when you leave. 

Every conversation I have had with prospective landlords and letting agents has either brought a fast 'no' or the property goes to someone else.

Each landlord I have had has found out and ultimately been begrudgingly accepting (finding new tennents is not without cost to them).

11 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Cheers for the help guys, appreciate it all the suggestions!

Dave you’ve pretty much hit the nail on the head, that’s basically all the things the GF has been saying! She hasn’t even got pictures/paintings on the wall.

So really I’ve to go on the agreement then ask about adding holes to the wall, which they may well say no.

And if I crack on and do it anyway it could be tricky. She’s worried if it gets noticed on an inspection we’ll get turfed out.

Nightmare the whole thing because I can imagine even if we changed flat it would be a similar story. 

Thanks again!

My day job is dealing with property problems; thankfully not usually residential. Most of them stem from somebody doing what they shouldn’t or not doing something they should. Both usually end in disaster and if in this case your landlord is antishooting by just doing this gives an excuse to end the tenancy, or at least try.  Probably parroting what the gf has said but probably not worth the risk without permission.