Thin end of the wedge?

I find today that McAvoy Guns will not sell me plain lead bullets for reloading my .38 until I  send them a copy of my FAC. Now I have nothing to hide, but I have told them that, on principal, such a request is not legal and I will be placing my order else where. Which I have

Its probably, almost definitely, not their fault and I don't blame them at all,  but we have to resist this creeping  illegal regulation. In this case apparently from Greater Manchester Police  

The powers that be are working themselves up a bit over reloading. After hearing that people were reloading for obsolete calibres I think they'll try and crack down. Was that RFD case not actually in Manchester(?) I just read in the Shooting Times this month that there is further debate about regulating antique and obsolete guns. I was very disappointed to see that BASC haven't released anything regarding this recently. 

Now is the time to start buying Section 58! :good:

9 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I find today that McAvoy Guns will not sell me plain lead bullets for reloading my .38 until I  send them a copy of my FAC. Now I have nothing to hide, but I have told them that, on principal, such a request is not legal and I will be placing my order else where. Which I have

Its probably, almost definitely, not their fault and I don't blame them at all,  but we have to resist this creeping  illegal regulation. In this case apparently from Greater Manchester Police  

was this a phone order or did you go there ?

10 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Well done. It’s a ridiculous request at what is probably on the behest of their licensing authority, as you say. 

Some of the lads used to cast and swage their own which totally negates the licensing authority request. They need to concentrate on where the primers are coming from.

2 hours ago, davewh100 said:

was this a phone order or did you go there ?

It comes up on their website when you try to order, so I phoned to query it They have some S&B FMJ 158grn .38s for a good price. probably old stock but well worth buying a few hundred while they are at that price.

Its not them its Greater Manchester Police that are asking for proof 

Edited by Vince Green

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

It comes up on their website when you try to order, so I phoned to query it They have some S&B FMJ 158grn .38s for a good price. probably old stock but well worth buying a few hundred while they are at that price.

Its not them its Greater Manchester Police that are asking for proof 

ahh ok lads there craig and mark are allways very helpful  see your problem now 

7 hours ago, Scully said:

They need to concentrate on where the primers are coming from.

Absolutely. 

Dunno why they are worried about bits of lead, brass or steel that are legal materials to own for a whole host of reasons. They should be worried about the bits that go pop that are only used for one reason....

• 2 months later...

The website actually states:

Whilst an FAC is not required to purchase these heads, we have been asked by GMP to request proof of a license prior to sale for a small number of pistol calibers; .25, .32, 9mm Makarov & 9mm Browning

So no mention of .38 special.

Also £16.75 for 100 isnt cheap when Shellhouse bullet co are just over £30 for 500

Any shop that doesn't call a bullet a bullet and calls it a 'head' instead clearly knows next to nothing about anything of worth, on that basis only I wouldn't do any business with them.

Besides, I order every bullet I use from Germany, about half the price even when you factor in shipping.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:37, super sharp shooter said:

Sportsman won’t sent expanding heads to a residential property they have to go to an rfd🤷‍♂️

Is this a recent thing?

They sent me ELD-X last year with no problems (other than waiting a hell of a long time to get them in stock...)

• 3 weeks later...

Since expanding are no longer on S5 (1A)(f) it's perfectly legal to sell mail order or to buy mail order without proof of FAC.  Any outlet refusing to do that then I'd go elsewhere.  I've had it requested to send my FAC/Shotgun cert via .jpg before ammo parts/shotgun carts were bought and won't be complying with that as 1) it's not legal to copy your certificates and supply to someone else and 2) all they need is your cert number to check with your certifying authority.  Things have just got plain silly and out of hand.  I can understand a central Manchester outfit wanting to be careful where say handgun ammo is concerned (even bullets) but not where hunting cals are concerned.

Guest cookoff013

wasnt there a home made factory  that was churning out hundreds of bullets a week for criminals?

a quick google search shows were a few

On 08/05/2019 at 15:21, cookoff013 said:

wasnt there a home made factory  that was churning out hundreds of bullets a week for criminals?

a quick google search shows were a few

Not much use to criminals without the rest of the components though are they?

Or did you mean a criminal gang turning out hundreds of cartridges instead?