Unlucky thirteen.

JDog

Today has been pencilled in my diary for some time as it was to be my first efforts decoying on maize cover crops.

When I arrived at the field I saw a long line of pigeons heading elsewhere but so confident was I that they would return I slogged along a field with full kit to a likely place to set up. The first and most important job was to attach a part tarpaulin to the hedge behind the hide position to cut out the icy wind. This was effective once I had draped it in netting.

The rotary and a few dead birds were placed on the rape next to the maize so all I had to do was to wait until the hordes arrived to feast on the maize. They never did and I had to content myself with thirteen birds heading out on the flight line and taken at long range.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY0MDABLWU1MzgtNDk0Yi0wMAItMDAKAEYAAAM%2FYyTciM6dSaoWKCu5Mf4RBwAWgy5CQJ6rT55%2BjU3ThYheAAACAQwAAAAWgy5CQJ6rT55%2BjU3ThYheAAJV5TRvAAAAARIAEADX6uoAlego20%2Beh34X5oKLtw%3D%3D&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=2019012102.04&isc=1&X-OWA-CANARY=CNJ_V1EGhkeQ0XJXIqmVdrCBgbP4hdYY5C60IEUz5MpdFVRMxF4TLzVe2SRUNHre6RpVRFgAgrY.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.QMcckVjHgKhcIRWi3q9BEZrsrPSgOiG8nNn4VBAFwB11H2fZphw4qSgkZoEcGQ3HH7ctBjW7Ymi-LxWT2zcCfWU0vbBwu__wQbXEjjzz5cuTMOqianGFvccVEWdqQbK20OdtrxI4qejEhMbiCWOON_9VAPtUSvWitEAoi_HikhYl2xS7pm3EEadFAVXiQkx3cEPoxroklocUjkrZZUaXW5e0eBuLCwvfOwLrNUAcUkfU4aDNgdCHrqUi9aZ4jhaRDOqjR5hkqJEz0n1H78Rzm6rg3vYBXGP1rsGBuz00THnpba8vl3TLQZQ_ZeXX26e5t5scz20Zy3qfZ6PZGMsBGA&animation=true

There bound to find it soon, but the forecast is poor for the next few days

I decoyed some rape yesterday and got to 13 and it went quiet but I didn’t want to risk bad luck so I stayed another hour and a quarter for the 14th! I bet you walk under ladders and break mirrors for fun!!

Well done JDog, you set out  with the correct intention knowing how birds like maize. The birds are free to chose and sometimes they go and do not return as they find another option. My outing last week produced 26 out of a flock of 200 plus. No doubt you next outing will be more productive. Thanks for posting and good luck next time.

Edited by pigeon controller

On 29/01/2019 at 15:18, Wilksy II said:

There bound to find it soon, but the forecast is poor for the next few days

I decoyed some rape yesterday and got to 13 and it went quiet but I didn’t want to risk bad luck so I stayed another hour and a quarter for the 14th! I bet you walk under ladders and break mirrors for fun!!

Why do it always take ages when you only want one more pigeon, or when you want to use the last two cartridges from a box before you want to pack up:hmm:

Not a bad bakers dozen Mr JDog , today you would had needed some protection on your front as well as behind during these cold conditions .

By the way what happened to the photo , have you now moved to Bletchley park :lol: 

21 hours ago, marsh man said:

Why do it always take ages when you only want one more pigeon, or when you want to use the last two cartridges from a box before you want to pack up

I think it’s the same s*ds law that says a pigeon will come just as you pour a brew or unwrap a sandwich