Steel rated shotgun

mgsontour

Hi all, could someone please help. . . . . I'm looking for a second hand U/O 12bore shotgun which is a nice all rounder for game/pigeons etc but I do get the chance to shoot a few ducks so need it proofed for steel cartridges as sick of having to buy bismuth @ £30 for 25, price tag about £1k? Thanks in advance

We can sit here all day telling you that 1 gun is better than another, but that is usually the gun that suits US and NOT you. There is only one person that can realistically choose a gun for you and that is YOU. Perhaps you should be taking a couple of rides out. One to Kelbrook Lodge and the other to Malmo Guns, where it is possible to try the gun that suits you. Although less of a choice, Coniston Hall on the A65 also has the try before you buy facility. I would not consider buying any gun just on the recommendation of others, I would want to try it for myself.

You don’t need a gun to have proof marks for shooting steel shot YES Sorry if your using high velocity steel but most guns will take standard steel loads as long as the chokes aren’t to tight I use a 40 year old Aya for ducks 1/4 1/2 chokes no problem 

On 29 January 2019 at 19:54, Gerry78 said:

You don’t need a gun to have proof marks for shooting steel shot YES Sorry if your using high velocity steel but most guns will take standard steel loads as long as the chokes aren’t to tight I use a 40 year old Aya for ducks 1/4 1/2 chokes no problem 

What carts you use for that? 

On 29 January 2019 at 18:46, mgsontour said:

Hi all, could someone please help. . . . . I'm looking for a second hand U/O 12bore shotgun which is a nice all rounder for game/pigeons etc but I do get the chance to shoot a few ducks so need it proofed for steel cartridges as sick of having to buy bismuth @ £30 for 25, price tag about £1k? Thanks in advance

What gun do you shoot now? 

Many of the ‘big names’ will manage this for £1k. 

- Beretta silver pigeon (an older one will manage steel but if you try for a newer model it’ll have 3” chambers and be fine. 

- Browning 525 - again make sure it has the 3” chamber. 

- Miroku MK70 - make sure proofed. 

All three of those are brilliant O/U’s for that price, could pick up a nice second hand one for around a grand. 

Try and go somewhere you can shoot them first and see what fits. 

I shot well with both the SP and MK70 but shot terrible with the 525 - bought a SP after. 

All interesting and is clearing up the issue for me ( thanks all ) but not 100% yet. . . 

•  I shoot a Mundial, which is about 40 years old and is the spitting image of an AYA yeoman
  • The carts I use for the ducks is Eley Bismuth No 4/5's which do the job close range but are really expensive and no good for the longer shots
  •  I've seen others use steel with a Beretta Silver pigeon, Browning 525 and 425 but didn't notice if they were high velocity ones or standard

In summary am I correct in saying

•  99% of guns with a 3" chamber will take standard steel but only some of those will take HV?

Thanks to you all for your help

7 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

All interesting and is clearing up the issue for me ( thanks all ) but not 100% yet. . . 

•  I shoot a Mundial, which is about 40 years old and is the spitting image of an AYA yeoman
  • The carts I use for the ducks is Eley Bismuth No 4/5's which do the job close range but are really expensive and no good for the longer shots
  •  I've seen others use steel with a Beretta Silver pigeon, Browning 525 and 425 but didn't notice if they were high velocity ones or standard

•  99% of guns with a 3" chamber will take standard steel but only some of those will take HV?

You can use steel ( HV or otherwise ) in any nitro proofed gun you care to use it through, as many folk do. It can and is done, but despite this the general consensus is that you shouldn't, so If in doubt stick to nothing tighter than half and use standard steel.

If you don't want to do this your options are to either use another form of non toxic ( like you have been doing ) or buy a steel shot proofed gun, or as others have suggested, one with 3" chambers, and if you want to cover all the corners, ideally one with 3" chambers and proofed for steel. This will take care of pressure, but nothing will prevent even your steel shot proofed gun barrels being ruined if the cup fails to do its part. 

Just now, mgsontour said:

If it has steel proof it will take any steel load, HV or standard of the correct chamber length but it is recommended to stick to 1/2 choke or less. 

If a gun is not steel proofed then it *should* be okay with standard, lightweight steel loads through less than 1/2 choke but that choice is yours 

Pop down the local gun shop, tell them you want a 3 inch steel proofed gun for under a grand. Let them fetch you various guns to have a look at. Say things like "oh that's nice" and "um" and "ah". Decide which one fits best. Buy it. 

If your lucky you'll get a coffee whilst your there.

Dont tell the wife. 

As others have said you'll be spoilt for choice. 

Choke tubes and shotgun barrels are sometimes made from stainless steel, but I have never heard of stainless steel shot.

Stainless steels tend to be rather hard.   I believe  the "steel shot" used in shotgun cartridges is actually soft iron (even softer than general purpose mild steel), and nothing like as hard as any of the common grades of stainless steel.   Not to be confused with the "steel shot" materials used in shot-blasting, some of which are indeed quite hard.

53 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

Choke tubes and shotgun barrels are sometimes made from stainless steel, but I have never heard of stainless steel shot.

Stainless steels tend to be rather hard.   I believe  the "steel shot" used in shotgun cartridges is actually soft iron (even softer than general purpose mild steel), and nothing like as hard as any of the common grades of stainless steel.   Not to be confused with the "steel shot" materials used in shot-blasting, some of which are indeed quite hard.

Rockwell R15T 66 with no pellet more than 69.

7 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Pop down the local gun shop, tell them you want a 3 inch steel proofed gun for under a grand. Let them fetch you various guns to have a look at. Say things like "oh that's nice" and "um" and "ah". Decide which one fits best. Buy it. 

If your lucky you'll get a coffee whilst your there.

Dont tell the wife. 

As others have said you'll be spoilt for choice. 

Like your style and great hearing from everyone else with their views, it's obviously a hot topic and as clear as mud but have 2 local gun dealers so will go and pester them and certainly won't tell the wife!! Cheers lads

8 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Like your style and great hearing from everyone else with their views, it's obviously a hot topic and as clear as mud but have 2 local gun dealers so will go and pester them and certainly won't tell the wife!! Cheers lads

Excellent idea  !  Who knows you may see the light before 30th August   !   😉

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:41, keeper96 said:

If it has steel proof it will take any steel load, HV or standard of the correct chamber length but it is recommended to stick to 1/2 choke or less. 

If a gun is not steel proofed then it *should* be okay with standard, lightweight steel loads through less than 1/2 choke but that choice is yours 

As I have written countless times over these pages, the 1/2 choke "thing" is not correct. You can use far tighter without issue.