Steel rated shotgun

mgsontour

On 31/01/2019 at 19:10, motty said:

That is incorrect.

as a general rule how is that incorrect? 

I've just had a quick look and other than old live pigeon guns nigh on everything else with a 3" inch chamber is expect to be steel proofed  

I'm happy to be informed otherwise but without going into specific makes and models I imagine my statement is pretty accurate.

34 minutes ago, keeper96 said:

I've just had a quick look and other than old live pigeon guns nigh on everything else with a 3" inch chamber is expect to be steel proofed  

I'm happy to be informed otherwise but without going into specific makes and models I imagine my statement is pretty accurate.

No, your statement is completely inaccurate. There will be many thousands of guns with 3" chambers that are not proofed for steel shot. I own one, for starters - a 2005 Beretta Silver pigeon IV.

1 hour ago, keeper96 said:

Any of the Spanish,Turkish etc made 3" guns from any time up until the 2000s, alot of American guns, they didn't adopt steel proofing until recently. 

In fact most guns made up until the last 10 years or so, won't be steel proofed. 

9 hours ago, keeper96 said:

haha that is very true! 

it's just that in my cabinet of 11 guns everything with a 3" chamber is steel proofed. 

I thought your general rule a few days ago was a good leading light, however, it looks like everyone is getting educated with this topic but may I ask how come wymberley says your way ahead of your time?

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

I thought your general rule a few days ago was a good leading light, however, it looks like everyone is getting educated with this topic but may I ask how come wymberley says your way ahead of your time?

I'm assuming he says that because most new guns with 3" chambers made these days do have steel proof so in 20 years it would be accurate to say that 3" chamber means steel proof on most guns 

On 30/01/2019 at 20:10, Lloyd90 said:

I was under the impression that it’s fine to use a tight choke (over half) as long as the gun is proofed for it? 

My rem 11-87 is 3” chamber and I got a full choke - the choke says “lead / steel proof” 

I'm the other way around.

My Hatsan chokes for 3/4 and full say on them *not for steel use* (or similar wording) on them.

Lots of urban myths and confusion!

BTW - I rarely use steel so it's a moot point for me.

On 31/01/2019 at 19:48, motty said:

As I have written countless times over these pages, the 1/2 choke "thing" is not correct. You can use far tighter without issue.

My Fabarm S/A 3"  has numerous chokes and all above 1/2 are marked as not for use with steel shot,  I would like to use full !

1 hour ago, hedge said:

I'm the other way around.

My Hatsan chokes for 3/4 and full say on them *not for steel use* (or similar wording) on them.

Lots of urban myths and confusion!

BTW - I rarely use steel so it's a moot point for me.