“Babyfaced” Hunters Struggling To Get Permissions

Wardy97

Hi All,

New to all this so will have to hang in there.

I am a fairly well experienced shooter, I have been shooting since about 7/8 years old - using multiple guns, different strategies and have hunted different animals through the years.

I am 21 years old but to put it bluntly I have very much of a babyface. I have permission from a couple of different farmers in my area (Suffolk, East-Anglia) and have been going shooting every weekend for a while now, but I seem to have scared away all the animals :) and it doesn’t help the farmers have all the wrong crop for this time of year and I don’t tend to get much, if anything. So obviously I am wanting to find more places to shoot.

The land I can shoot on I only have permission due to my family having permission first, we can shoot what we like when we like and go when we like etc. which is very nice. But the issue I am having is I people to think because I look young, I am inexperienced, therefore messy and do not follow rules, therefore not to be trusted & given permission “the youth of today” - I am really keen to find more places I can shoot but can’t seem to get through to the old traditional farmers in the area who are stuck in their ways.

Any advice is much appreciated for how I can try to come across as being a “grown-up”.

Many Thanks, Dale

Edited by Wardy97

1 minute ago, andrewluke said:

there's alot of shooters on here that would love to have any shooting permission let alone more???

Fair enough. I understand your point, but spending hours on end in hides / walking around for nothing except fitness isn’t my ideal weekend :)

Just now, Wb123 said:

Grow a beard (I was astounded how the world changed when I grew mine and looked 15years older), dress properly, and get involved in the local farming community. My shooting offers have all come from people who know I shoot rather than having to ask. 

I don’t think my girlfriend would approve of that, ever seen a skinny guy with a beard - doesn’t look right, plus I have a light brown / blonde hair :)

Just now, gotgcoalman said:

enjoy what you have regardless of firing a shot.

I'm sure "word of mouth" as to you being responsible is better than banging on farm doors.

To be fair, I work in an office 5 days a week so perhaps I should appreciate the “outdoor air” and fitness more

2 minutes ago, Wardy97 said:

Fair enough. I understand your point, but spending hours on end in hides / walking around for nothing except fitness isn’t my ideal weekend :)

You could try Xbox, or Nintendo or do jigsaws.

Serious pigeon shooters spend hours on end in hides often for very little reward.

Just now, JDog said:

You could try Xbox, or Nintendo or do jigsaws.

Serious pigeon shooters spend hours on end in hides often for very little reward.

PlayStation all the way, but my family gets grumpy if I spend too much time on screens (after working on screens all week)

I do appreciate it takes patience, luckily now pheasants are out of window I can shoot a local small wood also - perhaps give that a whirl this weekend

2 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

your right there jd i spend hours sometimes for a couple of birds for pigeon n rice fry up.but its nice to be out.

I like to breast them and slice them into strips & fry until med-rare

2 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

by the way it's a cracking first contribution on pigeon watch:hmm:

Saw this forum mentioned in YouTube video so thought id give it a go

6 minutes ago, JDog said:

Last year I spent 15 hours over 3 days on some laid barley that was allegedly being hit(I put up 30/40 each day when I arrived) for 2, yes 2 birds.  to add insult to injury that week the dog took 3:blush::lol:

1 minute ago, Yellow Bear said:

Last year I spent 15 hours over 3 days on some laid barley that was allegedly being hit(I put up 30/40 each day when I arrived) for 2, yes 2 birds.  to add insult to injury that week the dog took 3

I go for a walk with my gun every Saturday morning for a couple mile walk and decoy until dark in all weather for not even a shot. I wouldn’t mind, but at the moment it’s every weekend 😮

14 minutes ago, Wardy97 said:

Fair enough. I understand your point, but spending hours on end in hides / walking around for nothing except fitness isn’t my ideal weekend

I don’t think my girlfriend would approve of that, ever seen a skinny guy with a beard - doesn’t look right, plus I have a light brown / blonde hair

Go for a ‘tache then, facial hair makes those winter nights lamping much more comfortable. 

Are you involved with your local hunt at all? Equestrians seem keen on rabbit control (though my experience is that they want a visible but controlled population). Other good options are joining or just drinking regularly at golf clubs (they hate rabbits), networking with trades who mostly cater for the very wealthy (a mate who is a high end gardener has more land than he can shoot), and perhaps most importantly just talking to lots of people enthusiastically about shooting (most of my offers have been off the back of discussing hobbies in general).

Remember ultimately you are selling a service even if you will do it for free and others will pay for it (offering to pay for shooting is an option I missed above), people have to want you. 

2 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

This, i was out sunday, 11Am til 4pm and got 9 corvids and one pigeon. Somedays go like that. But i love being out there. 

It’s still better getting something, this has made me appreciate what I have more. So thanks everyone

2 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

Go for a ‘tache then, facial hair makes those winter nights lamping much more comfortable. 

Are you involved with your local hunt at all? Equestrians seem keen on rabbit control (though my experience is that they want a visible but controlled population). Other good options are joining or just drinking regularly at golf clubs (they hate rabbits), networking with trades who mostly cater for the very wealthy (a mate who is a high end gardener has more land than he can shoot), and perhaps most importantly just talking to lots of people enthusiastically about shooting (most of my offers have been off the back of discussing hobbies in general).

Remember ultimately you are selling a service even if you will do it for free and others will pay for it (offering to pay for shooting is an option I missed above), people have to want you. 

I think I’ll avoid hair in general - girlfriend prefers it ;)

Not involved in any local clubs / events, just literally grab a gun and go. Thanks for the options, I will look into these. I refuse to pay for any form of vermin shooting, so not to worry on that side - admittedly it’s our hobby, but if someone had to pay for pest control it would cost more than just letting the odd few people go for a shot

5 minutes ago, winnie&bezza said:

Do you actually see pigeons etc when your out in hide, walking or doing a recce? 

See them occasionally, I don’t have time to reccy. I literally just get up and go. If I get something I do, if not, I don’t :)

6 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

i think most of us agree its not just about numbers,like anglers say theres more to fishing than just catching fish,same goes for us.

Agreed, but it makes the rest of the time fishing worth it if you catch more :D

3 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

Why not ask the people you have permission from if they could "spread  the word" with neighbouring farms you are an O/K guy if they get vermin problems.

Good idea, never really thought about that. I will give it a shot - pardon the pun :)

5 minutes ago, Wardy97 said:

I go for a walk with my gun every Saturday morning for a couple mile walk and decoy until dark in all weather for not even a shot. I wouldn’t mind, but at the moment it’s every weekend 😮

I admire your enthusiasm , but having been shooting for 13 years you should by now be able to read the signs of a decoying situation , what crop are you actually decoying on till it is dark ? , and what species are you trying to decoy ?

Just now, marsh man said:

I admire your enthusiasm , but having been shooting for 13 years you should by now be able to read the signs of a decoying situation , what crop are you actually decoying on till it is dark ? , and what species are you trying to decoy ?

I understand that the birds will not actually decoy the crop I am on, but my hope is to just encourage them slightly closer to take a shot.

I just enjoy the odd burst of excitement when a stray bird wonders into my path. It’s worth all the hours of waiting and much more entertaining than PlayStation (in the end)

And I’m only particularly bothered about woodies.

2 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

turn your attention to crows as well great fun and the farmers hate them.

There is local pig farm which always has crows I’m sure they’d be happy for me to take a few out.

Only thing is I like to eat what I shoot but only tried crow once and didn’t like it haha. Any recipe ideas?

1 hour ago, andrewluke said:

by the way it's a cracking first contribution on pigeon watch

Love it, someone has the nerve to ask for advice, so why the face? This is the advice section, he hasn't just said err looking for pigeon shooting in Suffolk.

back to the opp, get yourself beating, those two or three months of beating on a Saturday will open doors faster than just knocking on doors, failing that we were all young once enjoy it 👍

Also don't just ask about pigeons, ask about rats, no one likes them and they might well get you on someone's land.

good luck.