“Babyfaced” Hunters Struggling To Get Permissions

Wardy97

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

Love it, someone has the nerve to ask for advice, so why the face? This is the advice section, he hasn't just said err looking for pigeon shooting in Suffolk.

back to the opp, get yourself beating, those two or three months of beating on a Saturday will open doors faster than just knocking on doors, failing that we were all young once enjoy it 👍

Also don't just ask about pigeons, ask about rats, no one likes them and they might well get you on someone's land.

good luck.

After looking at a few threads after signing up, it’s pretty obvious that people don’t want others on here just to simply try and get places to shoot - hence the actual advice seeking (what the forum was made for).

I know of a couple farmers who always do shoots in my area which I could always contact. I have never done it before so might even enjoy it :)

I would be happy to use air rifle also, as some farmers can be a bit funny with what they want you to use. When I can get some more land to shoot on I am hoping to get my firearms licence also (perhaps opening up more possibilities for vermin killing)

4 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

You could try growing a pair of breasts - always gets my attention and they generally get results. 

Ha! Good idea! I will try my breast - pardon the pun. I can’t guarantee the outcome though, perhaps pecks are a close alternative? Or just getting fat and wearing a bra? :D

Breasts would definitely work for me, and they can be very difficult to say no to :)

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

back to the opp, get yourself beating, those two or three months of beating on a Saturday will open doors faster than just knocking on doors, failing that we were all young once enjoy it 👍

I would definitely second the advice about turning up to beat regularly; the networking side is very useful.  The DIY syndicate I’m involved with is a small 2-drive affair, which means that, during the season, the time required is confined to Saturday mornings.  People have family commitments and ball-based-games to watch, so that still leaves you the afternoon/dusk to go round your existing permissions.

As for beards,  In earlier years I resorted to a more-or-less well trimmed goatee, which apparently adds a few years.  Or, at least, it gave the impression that you were aware of the fresh-faced-yoof look and were trying to add a few years!!  It was even mildly g/f compatible…Now I’m older and uglier, have kept the facefluff.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I would definitely second the advice about turning up to beat regularly; the networking side is very useful.  The DIY syndicate I’m involved with is a small 2-drive affair, which means that, during the season, the time required is confined to Saturday mornings.  People have family commitments and ball-based-games to watch, so that still leaves you the afternoon/dusk to go round your existing permissions.

As for beards,  In earlier years I resorted to a more-or-less well trimmed goatee, which apparently adds a few years.  Or, at least, it gave the impression that you were aware of the fresh-faced-yoof look and were trying to add a few years!!  It was even mildly g/f compatible…Now I’m older and uglier, have kept the facefluff.

That sounds much more manageable, plus other commitments may mean I won’t be able to do shooting every weekend - but obviously if asked I could try to re-arrange plans.

Please don’t take any offence, but I may need to pass on the goatee 🐐 my girlfriend would go mad haha! And at least there is youth on my side in some ways.. Just not getting permissions :) 

21 minutes ago, islandgun said:

If not a beard you could try a nice full eyebrow like mine,  the ladies love it/them..

HbFLI96.jpg.4e25f31e8f50830c38be189c492e07db.jpg

Thanks for the advice, but I think my girlfriend might get confused and begin kissing the top of my nose thinking my eyebrow was my tash :) and that would confuse the hell out of someone if you were upside down, they wouldn’t know which way was up! :D

I have exactly the same problem as you, and I am 60 this coming Friday! 😂😂😂

Don’t knock your youthful looks, you will be very glad of them when you get to my age.

As others have said, country sports are not just about shots fired, fish caught etc.

Instead of spending hours on the PS, read some of BB’s books, then you will appreciate the following quote from him: -

The wonder of the world
The beauty and the power
The shapes of things,
Their colours, light and shades
These I saw,
Look ye also while life lasts.

Getting back to your quest in trying to obtain more land to go on , first you stated you were in no clubs , therefore have you got your own third party insurance ? , you also said the farm you do go on don't grow the right sort of crops , what are the right crops ? and what sort of crops do your farm crow ? .

I am not trying to knock you in any way whatsoever , just giving you the minimum amount of information you would need if you start knocking on doors.

As already stated , beating is a good way to get feet on the ladder , but as the game season have only got a matter of hours left before it draws to a close you really need to look at other ways to gain land and experience in the art of decoying on variable crops .

If I was you I would make enquiries at your local wild fowling clubs where there are some good ones not to far from where you are based.

Most of them have got access to pigeon shooting and land needing the vermin controlled , you don't need to be interested in wild fowling although if you were it would help when applying to join , your membership would include third party insurance and in the warmer months most do clay shooting , dog training lessons and of course pigeon shooting , as a guide the price is around £175 plus a small joining fee .

Certainly worth thinking about . 

Edited by marsh man

16 hours ago, moondoggy said:

I have exactly the same problem as you, and I am 60 this coming Friday! 😂😂😂

Don’t knock your youthful looks, you will be very glad of them when you get to my age.

As others have said, country sports are not just about shots fired, fish caught etc.

Instead of spending hours on the PS, read some of BB’s books, then you will appreciate the following quote from him: -

The wonder of the world
The beauty and the power
The shapes of things,
Their colours, light and shades
These I saw,
Look ye also while life lasts.

Haha, happy birthday for the coming Friday! :)

And youthful looks is good, but whoever I’m with at the time will look like a shrivelled up old prune :) 

I do like to read - pop up books or looking at the pictures! :D Nah, just kidding I will have a look into being a book perhaps.

16 hours ago, marsh man said:

Getting back to your quest in trying to obtain more land to go on , first you stated you were in no clubs , therefore have you got your own third party insurance ? , you also said the farm you do go on don't grow the right sort of crops , what are the right crops ? and what sort of crops do your farm crow ? .

I am not trying to knock you in any way whatsoever , just giving you the minimum amount of information you would need if you start knocking on doors.

As already stated , beating is a good way to get feet on the ladder , but as the game season have only got a matter of hours left before it draws to a close you really need to look at other ways to gain land and experience in the art of decoying on variable crops .

If I was you I would make enquiries at your local wild fowling clubs where there are some good ones not to far from where you are based.

Most of them have got access to pigeon shooting and land needing the vermin controlled , you don't need to be interested in wild fowling although if you were it would help when applying to join , your membership would include third party insurance and in the warmer months most do clay shooting , dog training lessons and of course pigeon shooting , as a guide the price is around £175 plus a small joining fee .

Certainly worth thinking about . 

Hi again,

Yes I have 3rd Party Insurance, the crops are wheat at the moment but will be putting some maize in too - they usually feed on oil seed rape and berries this time of year.

I am trying out some different decoys and nets to see if that makes any difference - different places in the fields also.

I will take a look into the clubs, £175 is not too bad considering most shoots are much more.

Thanks again for the help!

16 hours ago, Wardy97 said:

Hi again,

Yes I have 3rd Party Insurance, the crops are wheat at the moment but will be putting some maize in too - they usually feed on oil seed rape and berries this time of year.

I am trying out some different decoys and nets to see if that makes any difference - different places in the fields also.

I will take a look into the clubs, £175 is not too bad considering most shoots are much more.

Thanks again for the help!

Nothing wrong with wheat as a crop to decoy over. But it will depend on what stage its at, as with most crops, they scratch out the drilled seed, then feed on the ripe crop if something like wheat. 

7 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Nothing wrong with wheat as a crop to decoy over. But it will depend on what stage its at, as with most crops, they scratch out the drilled seed, then feed on the ripe crop if something like wheat. 

The wheat is about about 3-4” long at the moment and there hasn’t been anything on it for a while. Trouble is where the wheat fields are nobody else shoots in the area so doesn’t keep them moving around at all.

Any advice for shooting in a wood? Not very large and not very thick.

8 hours ago, Wardy97 said:

The wheat is about about 3-4” long at the moment and there hasn’t been anything on it for a while. Trouble is where the wheat fields are nobody else shoots in the area so doesn’t keep them moving around at all.

Any advice for shooting in a wood? Not very large and not very thick.

Stay still, pick a spot amd don't get bored and move, id watch it for few days so you see the flight line, then set up on that line in there. But movement to a minimum is key... 

On 30/01/2019 at 13:45, Wardy97 said:

That sounds much more manageable, plus other commitments may mean I won’t be able to do shooting every weekend - but obviously if asked I could try to re-arrange plans.

Please don’t take any offence, but I may need to pass on the goatee 🐐 my girlfriend would go mad haha! And at least there is youth on my side in some ways.. Just not getting permissions :) 

Thanks for the advice, but I think my girlfriend might get confused and begin kissing the top of my nose thinking my eyebrow was my tash :) and that would confuse the hell out of someone if you were upside down, they wouldn’t know which way was up! :D

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

Stay still, pick a spot amd don't get bored and move, id watch it for few days so you see the flight line, then set up on that line in there. But movement to a minimum is key... 

There isn’t any particular flight line, a couple of sitting trees but that’s about it. I’ve been under / near both of them.

On 29/01/2019 at 22:06, hawkfanz said:

i think most of us agree its not just about numbers,like anglers say theres more to fishing than just catching fish,same goes for us.

Yes I agree sometimes I go to my farm permission and come back not having a shot but like to get out in the fresh air and country side watching the wildlife. If I shoot anything its a bonus think it's the same for a lot of us.

On 01/02/2019 at 19:01, Fieldhunter said:

East Anglia is a big old place, where abouts are you in East Anglia?

Suffolk :)

On 01/02/2019 at 19:12, Grandalf said:

As Marshman said - Join a fowling club.   We have many of them in East Anglia.

It will open all sorts of doors for you.

Do you know any good ones? If there are lots I am sure there are a few crappy ones?

On 02/02/2019 at 10:17, matty thud said:

Yes I agree sometimes I go to my farm permission and come back not having a shot but like to get out in the fresh air and country side watching the wildlife. If I shoot anything its a bonus think it's the same for a lot of us.

Agreed, it just feels much better to actually bring something home. Plus I am thinking of investing in a new gun, and don’t want to get it and not actually use it.