Advice on sea fishing rods

Hamster

Sorry if this is in the wrong section 😋  it's over 30 years since I've done anything approaching "serious" beach casting but I have kept my faithful Shakespeare 12' fibre glass rod because being very stiff it served me well, despite being rung for a multiplier I've really only ever cheated and used suitably narrow diameter fixed spools and frankly achieved perfectly adequate ranges given my overall "competence" levels. 😜  

Now back in the day I used to dream of owning a Zziplex 2500LM, I even bought an ABU 6500CT about 22 years ago in anticipation but never got round to it as other hobbies got in the way. I'm now seriously wanting to at least scratch that itch for the sheer retail therapy joy of it and maybe even take them out in anger a bit here and abroad. So my question to the people in the know is : would you bid on this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zziplex-2500LM-beachcaster-Fishing-Rod/192801851644?hash=item2ce3e2c8fc:g:ODoAAOSwbjNcSa7Z:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true and what are the modern alternatives for either a new or 2nd hand equivalent that may be the wiser choice ? Obviously I know one can spend ten grand on a Krieghoff beachcaster but what's out there for a man with a £200 max budget ? Many thanks. 

hello, i still got my beach casting set i bought  25 plus years ago 12ft 3 PC rod and a large fixed spool Daiwa sea reel, those Zips were the best many used on the beaches and casting tournaments, i bought one of the first shimano multipliers and was that well made with no line guard but just could not cast well with it so used the above reel, not sure on new rods, have a punt on the zippy,  £200 should get a very good rod, still got my Ian Golds rod rest, good luck

hi, I have owned a majority of the zziplex range and have handled a 2500. they are soft but ok at short range with light baits. they are very limited in what they can do.

for me the best all rounder was an M4 HiFlex. easy to load and could handle 7 0z and big baits. or the HSM is also an excellent all round rod but not as forgiving when learning to cast it given its obvious power point you need to get through to load the blank fully.

the AFAW 6 and bait are also very very good, especially at their price point and well worth look.

I also have a cheap very capable Greys Supra on the classifieds that is a lovely blank to cast and fish with.

On 30/01/2019 at 15:22, henry d said:

Might be worth asking on WSF as there a lot of good anglers there with lots of experience on rods reels etc I got good advice when asking for a reel to team with my Greys rod.

That's a good shout. In fact there's been a good thread of late about the price one needs to pay for a decent beach rod, which might be worth a look.

https://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/threads/negative-experience.36278117/

It starts off with a chap feeling like a shop was coercing him into paying more than he felt necessary, but it descends into various options at what price, so it'd be a good one to have a flick through,should you want something different.

On 31/01/2019 at 22:03, Bazooka Joe said:

I swapped over to a 3lb tc Carp rod for my beach fishing, mainly for Bass, good all round rod for whatever method your using to catch. 

Same as what i done. Great for flatties and bass. Use it for float fishing for wrasse too. Great for light shore fishing, 12lb line, 40lb shock, 3 oz weight.