White Stuff!!

Mice!

We have had the snowpocalypse forecast so I took full advantage of the hard frost and drove a load of haylage up to the field horses and too pity on the pregnant ewes and brought them off the bank fields into the yard and gave them some hay in the stable in case the snow drifted like last year and.....nothing! I want a snow day tomorrow so I can go and walk around a new permission!!! 

Well  -8 yesterday when i left the house to go shooting and lovely sunny day

Today  -11 when i set off and another lovely sunny day for shooting  out  again tomorrow so see what the weather brings but frost forecast maybe some snow showers

But not bad for us up north

But i can understand the chaos an inch of snow brings when all common sense  freezes like the ice with alot of drivers that have'nt a clue what to do in bad weather

Edited by sabel25

Oh dear the U.K has stopped,here we got dust but Cornwall is closed .Our Polish friends laugh at our inability to cope .

Theyve got drifts deeper than an M,P,s expenses claim and insane low temps but still their home country runs .Tbh it,s a joke how we never have enough plows out and dont use snow chains/winter tyres if we need to go out.Flask and blankets maybe a tenner ,folding shovel a fiver .

Back in the day in our Barracks in Germany every unit had a snowplough or 3 to clear the garrison roads so why dont they do it here ??

9 minutes ago, clakk said:

Oh dear the U.K has stopped,here we got dust but Cornwall is closed .Our Polish friends laugh at our inability to cope .

Theyve got drifts deeper than an M,P,s expenses claim and insane low temps but still their home country runs .Tbh it,s a joke how we never have enough plows out and dont use snow chains/winter tyres if we need to go out.Flask and blankets maybe a tenner ,folding shovel a fiver .

Back in the day in our Barracks in Germany every unit had a snowplough or 3 to clear the garrison roads so why dont they do it here ??

You can have as many snow ploughs as you want 

however if there’s nowhere to plough it to there useless you need a wide road and a wide verge 

not a lot of good if you’re a mile up a track and got a hedge one side and a stone wall the other 

just my thoughts 

of 

10 hours ago, Old farrier said:

You can have as many snow ploughs as you want 

however if there’s nowhere to plough it to there useless you need a wide road and a wide verge 

not a lot of good if you’re a mile up a track and got a hedge one side and a stone wall the other 

just my thoughts 

of 

Plenty of verge on the A30 and M5 ,yes lanes are going to have issues but these are main roads im talking about 

what choice do we have , i live 20 miles from work ,its an industrial estate with no buses.trains or public transport .If i lived in a big city with train and buses i wouldnt need a car but how do i get there otherwise .So i have 4x4 and all terrain tyres and yes when its carp i give people a lift in but thanks to private bus companes and mr Beeching the transport isnt there anymore .

But its probably the wrong type of snow for the useless profit driven railway companies.Here we have an A38/A5/A42 /A50 /A52/A511 all serviced by decent links ,so we dont have rural ruralshire issues but if you improve those then u remove the character that makes them special for a slow Sunday tootal in the car 

Well snow today

not much at home but at the estate we were shooting had snow Some heavy showers but sunny inbetween About  6" level But we travelled all day on narrow estate roads ok  and no coucil ploughs or salt

I came back tonight on byroads with no problem  Driving as per road conditions Nearing home there was very little

Just the difference in the two valleys snow 

12 hours ago, clakk said:

Plenty of verge on the A30 and M5 ,yes lanes are going to have issues but these are main roads im talking about 

Didn’t help on Thursday night. A30 from Launceston to Bodmin was a car park.

11 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Fair enough 

not much good having the main Road open if you can’t get to it or off it though 

peronaly think to many people are car dependent 

Living rurally there’s no choice 😞 round my way there is not public transport services.

2 days on and we still have 4” sitting on the ground. Bright skies here in east Cornwall now though.

Took me 2.5hrs to travel 7 miles on Thursday night when Cornwall got battered. The snow came in so quickly and got to 4” at least in no time. I was sat for 2hrs on the A30 and was one of the lucky ones to get home that night in my car. 

I want to congratulate the gritters for their efforts and the public who got stuck in with 4x4’s and tractors to help the stranded. I luckily didn’t need help but to those that helped, and there may well be folk on here who did help where they could, well done and thank you. There where some very good stories on the local radio Friday morning of hero’s and kind folk giving up time.