Boiler breakdown cover

walshie

We've got an external oil-fired boiler that is 5 years old. We have it serviced every year, which includes the oil lines, burner jets, cleaning the whole thing inside, tweaking stuff and a printed efficiency report, which seems to stay the same at 98%. The engineer last year said the boiler was "like new" inside. 

The cost is about £100. We've just had a letter from the boiler company saying that for £15 a month they will guarantee to come out and fix any breakdown within 24 hours, and this includes everything inside the boiler casing, the timeclock, thermostat, rads and rad valves. The £15 a month also includes the annual service.

Is it worth paying the extra £80 a year for the breakdown cover? I've not had oil-fired heating before and wonder if it is actually likely to break down?

Ta.

I would stick with an annual service especially as your engineer says all is well and in good condition

Companies PROMISE the earth but rarely deliver IME. They will wriggle out due to age of boiler etc (higher premiums for over 6 years old)

Many stories in the press about massively  increased number of claims  Financial Ombudsmen about these firms - I would avoid.

I have had oil boilers for last 15 years and they have occasionally broken down and needed spare parts even after the annual service but no more so than a car !

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-6645743/The-snow-boiler-cover-leave-cold.html

Edited by Gameking

I have an external oil fired boiler (Grant) . It was serviced last week and takes the best part of three hours. Cost with vat at £138 including a new oil nozzle. After initial set up teething issues which were more to do with the expansion vessel its been fine and reliable but it is also only 5 years old.