Teaching of agriculture in school. Petition.

Jason_ox

If you have been following news of late you will see the stick that a huge proportion of the nations dairy farmers have endured. This is only going to get worse as time goes on. In years gone by there has been a huge disassociation between food and people, so much so that it appears to be the norm for some folk to not know what’s in season, where the meat and veg they eat has come from or how far from the UK it has travelled to be on their plate. Yes there are those that think chicken, beef or pork amongst others has been grown in the ground and isn’t actually the animal they see in the field when passing!   

If you believe there is a future in UK farming and how education on agriculture is paramount to stop the skewed views of a minority, which could and actually is brain washing the majority then please sign this petition to make the learning of agriculture compulsory in schools to year 9.

There’s a huge proportion of a generation or two that is so out of touch with where their food comes from. 

We are at a fork in the road where if something is not done soon then we will be at serious risk of being unable to rewind the clock! 

Without agriculture we would not be here, let’s bring it’s importance back. The only way we are going to do that is to educate! 

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/237937

And which subject would you suggest they replace with these Agricultural lessons? I agree in principal but when we have kids leaving school unable to read or do basic Mathematics you have to wonder exactly what Teachers are doing? I'm not bashing all Teachers - some are superb, but having worked in a school for a number of years I can honestly say that over 50% of those I had dealings with were little more than "going thru the motions". So who would you trust to teach Rural Affairs? 

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

And which subject would you suggest they replace with these Agricultural lessons? I agree in principal but when we have kids leaving school unable to read or do basic Mathematics you have to wonder exactly what Teachers are doing? I'm not bashing all Teachers - some are superb, but having worked in a school for a number of years I can honestly say that over 50% of those I had dealings with were little more than "going thru the motions". So who would you trust to teach Rural Affairs? 

Maybe the RSPB could slip it in,  after they have done their 'save the birdies' spiel. 

12-15 years ago CA did a series of 'schools education' days on large Norfolk estates and it was staggering how anti-livestock farming teachers were then. Even milk production was heavily criticised. When deer management and gamekeepering was touched on I though we were heading for a mass walk-out. The kids however loved it and many of them had some connection to the land. I sometimes think we shooting folk are a tribe apart from the other 60m+ who eat meat but have no comprehension of how it hits their plate.

The Comprehensive school I went to had a farm unit. We had a Jersey milk cow, some Aberdeen Angus beef cattle, pigs and chickens and haflinger ponies. We had 3 Rural Studies teachers and that was in the 1960's and they still have it now. Not all schools have the space, but if our school could commit plenty more could. We even got talks from a local butcher about where the piglets went when grown up.:good:

I was lucky to go to school in a farming village, we often would get taken out of school to go and see something of interest like calving or shearing

i struggled moving to the city as much of what I assumed everyone was taught was clearly a mystery to those I talked to, however that said I was amazed by 24 hour petrol stations which the locals didn’t even notice anymore

19 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

.......... I agree in principal but when we have kids leaving school unable to read or do basic Mathematics you have to wonder exactly what Teachers are doing?

I'm not bashing all Teachers......

Just come out of a multi agency meeting that deals with YP who are about to (or could) leave school and which have concerns about their sustained positive destinations, there are 49 of them out of a school roll of 1049. Many were identified from 3 years ago, some from the first few years of primary, and have had a lot of input from different agencies according to their need, but the overarching problem seems to be home life. So it now becomes the teachers job to do what? just teach the 3 R`s and a few other lessons? They are social workers, MH nurses, and a lot more, yes there are some bad apples and some that have had 20-30 years of being ground down and are just physically and mentally exhausted.

1 hour ago, DoolinDalton said:

Is there any incentives, financial or other, for farmers, land / estate owners to take on school leavers in some sort of modern apprenticeship?  Some kids just aren't cut out for mainstream education and then 'normal urban' jobs, but would probably embrace the countryside environment. 

I'm sorry, but the last thing I need is to employ or train a bunch of dimwits in my multi million pound farming investment. It's bad enough having highly educated Vet students at lambing time, let alone those who aren't capable of sweeping the streets.

On 30/01/2019 at 19:09, vmaxphil said:

Done it, damded good idea especially for inner city kids 

We used to have a lesson in school called rural science dealing with all rural life as we lived in the countryside 

As did we. I think it’s an IT block now.

20 hours ago, CharlieT said:

I'm sorry, but the last thing I need is to employ or train a bunch of dimwits in my multi million pound farming investment. It's bad enough having highly educated Vet students at lambing time, let alone those who aren't capable of sweeping the streets.

😂 Exactly. Work experience is bad enough when the person doesn’t want to be there. 

Keep it in the schools.