Best cheap cartridges for pigeons

6 hours ago, B B said:

I used them a few times in my side lock and they did not register as heavy on recoil, but im old now and come from a time of heavy loads in wildfowling go to 3 inch load was 1 7/8ths oz years of such loads mean recoil is there but it dont register as anything out of the ordinary. But i get what you are saying they are lively agree and the do work good.

I can see where your coming from, mostly the largest load I'm using regularly is 32g of 6 in a clear pigeon, I have some victory 35g 4's which feel smooth in comparison to the jockers. 

I have used the jockers in the 24g 7 1/2 clay load to which wernt that bad at all. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, motty said:

For the price, the Jockers are pretty good! £200 a thousand for 32 gm loads.

Can't knock them at all for the price motty, I don't get to shoot as much as I like so don't mind spending a little bit more on something that shoots a bit smoother, wish I did shoot enough to need 1000 at a time lol

Well after advice from pm, i had a go with 28g 7 1/2s and had no problems out to 30 yards. 1/2 choke. In fact i threw a few away as the breast had too much shot in. Still got a lot of breasts ready to eat.

Next month i buy a few thousand and ill see about phoning george up from propercartridges. Ill get my mate in with me, make it worth his while if we do go down that route. 

Time to make a nice honey marinade. 

Atb and thanks for the advice

30 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So ring him and ask him to let you have a few boxes, if you meet him on the way it might just be a very happy meeting!

I am sure it would be a happy meeting TC but as he will be nr Chesterfield next Friday I will be at work and could be anywhere in Derbyshire, I will give him a call to see if anything could be done. 

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:57, wymberley said:

Yep, on both points.

Although you need to check on a frequency basis as Hull tend to reinvent the dimensions for shot sizes as and when they feel the need, but at the moment these are what would be called 7&1/4 shot so some advantage there for the pigeon.

Italian companies e.g. Fiocchi shot size is a half size larger than stated on the box. 7 1/2 Italian  = 7 English

On 03/02/2019 at 19:46, strimmer_13 said:

Well after advice from pm, i had a go with 28g 7 1/2s and had no problems out to 30 yards. 1/2 choke. In fact i threw a few away as the breast had too much shot in. Still got a lot of breasts ready to eat.

Next month i buy a few thousand and ill see about phoning george up from propercartridges. Ill get my mate in with me, make it worth his while if we do go down that route. 

Time to make a nice honey marinade. 

Atb and thanks for the advice

Unless you have a heavy load which is completely unnecessary for decoying, the 6s you mentioned earlier are not much good although you won't suffer from the highlighted problem - quite the opposite in fact if you're stretching things. The 6&1/2 mentioned is better given some choke and 32g. The 7&1/2s with not too much choke and circa 24g avoids the above problem and are good if you keep the range sensible. Although martinj is really preaching to the converted, he is correct of course and 28g of Continental 7&1/2s or English 7s will do nicely but with the furriners winning in the pricing stakes in all probability.

9 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

They are doing plastic for £190 a thousand up here 32g no5s, a few boys using them on pheasants this year plastic wad though, what price you boys paying for fibre jockers motty? 

God knows what price fibre cartridges are! I rarely use them.

On 30/01/2019 at 23:13, figgy said:

Decoy them in and use cheap 7&1/2 carts, they will do the job. Especially if you going to be using loads of them.

Find a local game dealer and see what price for fresh pigeon as you may not get back the cost of the cartridge.

You may find some clay carts in 6&1/2 but will probably cost same as the cheapest pigeon carts.

You should pick up clay carts for around £180.00 a thousand for fiber.

This

On 08/02/2019 at 10:06, martinj said:

Italian companies e.g. Fiocchi shot size is a half size larger than stated on the box. 7 1/2 Italian  = 7 English

Not always, my Fiocchi 20 bore GFL no.6s state 2.6mm on the box which is English 6 i believe and there web page does say some are loaded in true English sizes.

Hope this helps 

32 minutes ago, martinj said:

So we never really know where we are unless we use the shot diameter.  As usual the UK are out of step with everyone else, or is it the other way around?

Yes we are out of step with other countries and as you say by referring to the diameter of the pellets instead of what they are called is a far better approach.

On 09/02/2019 at 11:41, 8 shot said:

Not always, my Fiocchi 20 bore GFL no.6s state 2.6mm on the box which is English 6 i believe and there web page does say some are loaded in true English sizes.

Hope this helps 

Having to learn fast here. Yep, those detailed on their English Tradition range are in English sizes. While I'm waiting for more info, could you kindly give an idea of the price you'd pay for 1000 of the ones you detail? Cheers.

One afternoon, being totally rained off I opened a couple of different cartridges.

LV Supreme Game 5 were UK 5' s.

LV Power Pigeon 6' s, UK 5-1/2.

Victory 6' s , were UK 5' s and LV 42g Super Game 1' s, were UK 2's.

Mad things you do when you're bored !!

As stated, size in mm would help.

Edited by Robertt

11 hours ago, wymberley said:

Having to learn fast here. Yep, those detailed on their English Tradition range are in English sizes. While I'm waiting for more info, could you kindly give an idea of the price you'd pay for 1000 of the ones you detail? Cheers.

Off the top of my head £240 ish and they are very nice cartridges too.

10 hours ago, wymberley said:

This guy is on the ball and you know where you're at. He doesn't routinely stock the 7s as specified above but will order if prepaid. Seems fair enough. Where's me plastic?

http://www.celticguns.co.uk/cartridges/

Bloody Hell we're being ripped off here in the Midlands just looked at JC, £30/1000 dearer on most Fiocchi's :hmm:

43 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

Off the top of my head £240 ish and they are very nice cartridges too.

Thank you.

30 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

Bloody Hell we're being ripped off here in the Midlands just looked at JC, £30/1000 dearer on most Fiocchi's :hmm:

One problem, he doesn't deliver. Not a problem for me, but I think he could be missing a trick - although it must be a right load of hassle.