Best cheap cartridges for pigeons

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap cartridges with less lead in them are just false economy. The only purpose of a cartridge is to put as much lead as possible into the sky.

Don't get sucked in by cheap "deals" that don't add up.  You get up at the crack of dawn, you drive miles, you set up in a muddy field in the freezing  cold, yet you are happy to shoot a cartridge that has 20% less lead in it because its 60p a box cheaper than the real thing? If you think that is good you need a bit of time at a pattern plate.

My mate Ron used to say that cheap cartridges were often more expensive than best cartridges when you weighed  up all the factors

Edited by Vince Green

2 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

My mate Ron used to say that cheap cartridges were often more expensive than best cartridges when you weighed  up all the factors

This is sort of why I mentioned the Hull Compxes for less than a fiver a box, as a newbie to shotguns it seemed to offer reasonable 'bang for the buck'.  Albeit of course, they're not game carts.  I've certainly learnt on air rifles to stick with a decent brand that the gun likes.

But just to be clear, what do you consider 'insufficient' lead for this particular application?  28g? 32?  All subjective of course, but since you raised it...

14 hours ago, figgy said:

How does that work out cheap for the OP 15p short of 75 shekels a slab.

It's £15 per thousand so not worth buying  one slab os 250

I bought some of thier own xtreme game when they were £240 per thou

Diamond shot  gordon recoil system  Made by Gamebore and not a bad cartridge at that price

Not sure i'd buy them now at their price today

Sometimes worth looking at their bin ends

Oops just read through the thread and this was mentioned about the delivery charge per thou

Edited by sabel25

1 hour ago, oowee said:

No one has mentioned George over at Proper cartridges is he still going? 

I would've mention George at Propercartridges but it is all down to logistics Not sure who deals with them down south

I buy  cartridges from him  and good quality at very reasonable prices But he is not far from me so i can pick them up

Just got a 1000 copper 32g fibre from him the other week £110 per thou cheaper then Eley Zenith

10 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

This is sort of why I mentioned the Hull Compxes for less than a fiver a box, as a newbie to shotguns it seemed to offer reasonable 'bang for the buck'.  Albeit of course, they're not game carts.  I've certainly learnt on air rifles to stick with a decent brand that the gun likes.

But just to be clear, what do you consider 'insufficient' lead for this particular application?  28g? 32?  All subjective of course, but since you raised it...

I always reloaded 32g with a slower burning powder and a fibre wad to produce a. lovely smooth cartridge.

Out of preference I would buy 32g if they were available, more pellets will always be better than less pellets in my reckoning.

10 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Load weight is of no consequence as it's the pellet count that matters in this - decoying - particular application provided that you err on the side of caution with 7&1/2 shot with regard to range. Provided you, the gun and the cartridge can place c110 pellets in the central 20" of the pattern - along with the pigeon of course - at whatever range you deem to be your maximum, then all is well.

17 hours ago, sabel25 said:

I would've mention George at Propercartridges but it is all down to logistics Not sure who deals with them down south

I buy  cartridges from him  and good quality at very reasonable prices But he is not far from me so i can pick them up

Just got a 1000 copper 32g fibre from him the other week £110 per thou cheaper then Eley Zenith

£100 per thousand cheaper because he's not sponsoring a world champion and several you tube channels 

15 hours ago, 8 shot said:

£100 per thousand cheaper because he's not sponsoring a world champion and several you tube channels 

people on here and nationwide can have them delivered everybody wants good quality cartridges at a good price i try to do that with word of mouth    how other makers get there carts out there is not my problem

16 hours ago, the hitman said:

I have shot a lot of George’s 32g No 5 at pheasants and really like them.

Back when George was was just starting he made a 30g No 5.5 pigeon load in a dark blue case which I thought was possibly the best cartridge I have ever used on both pigeon and pheasant.

Hitman.

well come and get sum more i am hard up😌

Took some of  Georges copper 32g fibre to the last beaters day on Friday and put them through my John Macnab  1/4 and 1/2 choke

Every bird i hit was stone dead Nothing winged No runners which makes for easier retrieving for my spaniels and no need for the Sunday morning surmon maker ( priest )

They did what it say's on the cartridge " Stone Dead"

I used them all day and found them comfortable on the shoulder too

( is this not a good advert for you George must be worth  £20 off my next 1000 carts ) :good::lol:

Not sure if they are \still about but 18 months or so ago i got 6K of some Jocker LAs , these were bought at 150 a thousand , still got 4 k so i am ok for a year or two yet. Looking at prices now i think i can add £50 a thousand at least by the time i need some more ammo. Anybody seen any of those jockers LAs about nothing special but the work ok, interested to know if still around.

18 minutes ago, B B said:

Not sure if they are \still about but 18 months or so ago i got 6K of some Jocker LAs , these were bought at 150 a thousand , still got 4 k so i am ok for a year or two yet. Looking at prices now i think i can add £50 a thousand at least by the time i need some more ammo. Anybody seen any of those jockers LAs about nothing special but the work ok, interested to know if still around.

I had some in a 32g 5, only brought 25 just to give them a go but I did find them quite noisy and punchy, won't knock the killing power though. 

3 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I had some in a 32g 5, only brought 25 just to give them a go but I did find them quite noisy and punchy, won't knock the killing power though. 

I used them a few times in my side lock and they did not register as heavy on recoil, but im old now and come from a time of heavy loads in wildfowling go to 3 inch load was 1 7/8ths oz years of such loads mean recoil is there but it dont register as anything out of the ordinary. But i get what you are saying they are lively agree and the do work good.

2 hours ago, B725 said:

I have before a long time ago but never got an answer, no one near me stocks them 

3 hours ago, B725 said:

Is there any for sale nr Chesterfield I would like to try some? 

on friday next am making my way to reading and  will be passing chesterfield   best ring me 07714 323 909 cheers   george