watches

guzzicat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Broke my work watch today .looked down at it and it had a big chip out of the glass front .no idea how it happend .as im doing easy indoor work atm .

I can use another watch i have thats recently been down graded to work status. 

But im a bit gutted as its served me well for over 5 years and never missed a beat .

IMG_20190131_182451.jpg

Oh and it stopped working when i tapped it too hard trying to get the broken glass bits out 😭

31 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I often break watches in my line of work so bought a cheap and cheerful timex expedition. It's been through the mill a bit but tells the time just fine. If it breaks I won't cry either. 

Always wanted a seiko dive watch though. Might treat myself. 

Love Seiko divers, I have several allways lusted after an orange face Pogue, & finally bought that one looked at loads first.

My Tag....always wanted a white faced Tag

Finally got one in 2003, 

Cant wear a watch indoors so it’s the first thing on when I leave the house and first thing off when I get back in.

Had a small glitch 2 years ago which cost £130 through a recommendation off here....

wouldnt mind a Rolex or Brietling but wallet says otherwise 😕

:shaun:

3516CF3E-997B-48AA-A1BE-001ED7BCC9A0.jpeg

Cant resist a nice watch, got about 12 in my collection. The holy grail of watches for me is the casio black screen with the red LED when you press the button, state of the art in the 70s/80/s and pretty cheap to, now cost a small fortune, lost a few auctions for them on ebay.

17 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

My Tag....always wanted a white faced Tag

Finally got one in 2003, 

Cant wear a watch indoors so it’s the first thing on when I leave the house and first thing off when I get back in.

Had a small glitch 2 years ago which cost £130 through a recommendation off here....

wouldnt mind a Rolex or Brietling but wallet says otherwise 😕

:shaun:

3516CF3E-997B-48AA-A1BE-001ED7BCC9A0.jpeg

I have a similar Tag, yellow face but steel gold bracelet and gold crown. I love it! Think mine is a Tag 2000 if I remember right.

good watches are a double edged sword. I have like watches since I was a boy and would spend up to about 100 pounds for one. most would last for about 2 years and end up with the glass all scratched, or it would stop working, 8 years ago my now wife, as an engagement present bought me an Omega Seamaster ( one of my dream watches). I can honestly say I have never looked in a jewellers window since.

so back to the double edged sword,

plus side.

i have worn it everyday since ( they should be worn) I am an engineer, there has been many times where I have banged it. this is where some of the money goes, the sapphire crystal doesn't have a single mark on it. 

down side.

these are expensive watches but it does not stop when you walk out of the shop. I have to send it away to Omega every 3 years for a service, which costs 350 pounds for the privilege!

in conclusion, its a beautiful watch and I feel very lucky to have been bought one, and because of the sentimental value of it, I will carry one wearing it every day and also paying for the servicing, but if anyone is thinking of buying an expensive automatic watch, be aware they are also expensive to own.

13 hours ago, marcus almond said:

good watches are a double edged sword. I have like watches since I was a boy and would spend up to about 100 pounds for one. most would last for about 2 years and end up with the glass all scratched, or it would stop working, 8 years ago my now wife, as an engagement present bought me an Omega Seamaster ( one of my dream watches). I can honestly say I have never looked in a jewellers window since.

so back to the double edged sword,

plus side.

i have worn it everyday since ( they should be worn) I am an engineer, there has been many times where I have banged it. this is where some of the money goes, the sapphire crystal doesn't have a single mark on it. 

down side.

these are expensive watches but it does not stop when you walk out of the shop. I have to send it away to Omega every 3 years for a service, which costs 350 pounds for the privilege!

in conclusion, its a beautiful watch and I feel very lucky to have been bought one, and because of the sentimental value of it, I will carry one wearing it every day and also paying for the servicing, but if anyone is thinking of buying an expensive automatic watch, be aware they are also expensive to own.

I feel your pain. I’ve snapped the helium escape valve off my seamaster and been quoted £300 to repair!

I have worn Seiko watches for many years, firstly automatic (I've got three I think? All now retired!) and for the last twenty years Kinetic, one my wife bought me on my 50th and one my wife and son gave me on my 60th, both have been excellent timekeepers and worn 24/7......just had the rechargeable batteries in both replaced....apart from that........no issues whatsoever!

On 31/01/2019 at 20:16, fatchap said:

Cant resist a nice watch, got about 12 in my collection. The holy grail of watches for me is the casio black screen with the red LED when you press the button, state of the art in the 70s/80/s and pretty cheap to, now cost a small fortune, lost a few auctions for them on ebay.

Had A Rolex once, a GMT Master, the worst timekeeper ever, lots of cred but not much use as a 'Certified Chronometer' as it said on the tags.

Funny this, but I was in Otley, Yorkshire and there is a newish Watchshop/Jeweller in an indoor area.

He has just put a 'Pouge' in his window.

A very 'Rainbow thing.

Not priced though I guess he's bought it locally. I'll  stick with my Seamaster Pro and my 6309 for work.

Edited by mickyh