watches

guzzicat

I had a Rolex (plain stainless steel "datejust" with matching steel strap) for my 18th.

I wore it everyday for near enough 35 years, but it got so expensive to service I have retired it - last 'quote' was for over £1000 - mainly because the steel strap is pretty much worn out and in danger of breaking.  Kept excellent time and was serviced roughly every 5 years at around £400-500 each time.

I now also have my late father's Rolex, also plain steel and retired for similar reasons, plus is not a self winder.

Since then I've had a couple of Casios - both troublesome (second hand not keeping time/slipping when knocked) and dodgy buttons, a Junghans radio controlled very good, but difficult to get batteries changed (normal places won't touch it as it has a glass back - apparently to allow radio reception) plus a Citizen quartz solar powered (excellent and cheap) and a cheap 'Conrad' radio controlled (pretty good for the money).  The original Junghans steel strap failed (again silly money to replace with genuine) and so it has a cheap strap now.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 31/01/2019 at 19:00, guzzicat said:

Love Seiko divers, I have several allways lusted after an orange face Pogue, & finally bought that one looked at loads first.

WP_20171004_22_46_57_Pro.jpg.0ec63547393128a9266049df795ae503.jpg

I treated myself to a Seiko SKX007 for my 40th Last year, very reasonably priced from creation watches direct from Japan. It onyl took about 5 days to arrive after ordering. Jewelers over here only seemed to stock the kinetic or quartz movements. Really pleased with it. 

1 minute ago, shalfordninja33 said:

WP_20171004_22_46_57_Pro.jpg.0ec63547393128a9266049df795ae503.jpg

I treated myself to a Seiko SKX007 for my 40th Last year, very reasonably priced from creation watches direct from Japan. It onyl took about 5 days to arrive after ordering. Jewelers over here only seemed to stock the kinetic or quartz movements. Really pleased with it. 

Their long production run says it all, nice choice.

3 hours ago, mickyh said:

Funny this, but I was in Otley, Yorkshire and there is a newish Watchshop/Jeweller in an indoor area.

He has just put a 'Pouge' in his window.

A very 'Rainbow thing.

Not priced though I guess he's bought it locally. I'll  stick with my Seamaster Pro and my 6309 for work.

Did you get lunch in the "Steak & Oyster" ? I like Otley.

43 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

I bought a Sako 7a28 in the early 1980's for, if memory serves me right £125 and have worn it to work on the farm every day since. Never serviced and it keeps going and going. 

I hope it sees me out so I get my money's worth!!

I didn't know they made watches.

In all fairness Sieko are probably the most underrated watch manufacturers going. 70' and 80's watches while not rare go fo more money than new ones. Millions of collectors out there and loads of parts are interchangeable. Hence all of the Frankenstein watch's around. I have one from my 21st and it's never gone wrong in 39 years.

Edited by mickyh

I have an Omega SeaMaster 300 but it loses a few seconds everyday. 

Also have a Seiko 007 and 009 and they keep better time for about 10% of the cost 😂

Fortunately both the Seiko and the Omega have taken numerous knocks and have barely any marks, very well made! 

My GF told me the other day that GCHQ are releasing a 100 year anniversary watch  made by TAG I believe, she has put her name down for the draw for one although not sure how it’s being done. 

Not even a clue how much they’ll be yet. 

If you read some online watch stuff, a few of the big names are not doing very well.

Prices to buy and services have gone up putting lots of would be buyers off. Especially the younger buyers as they use phones, watches are fashion items to them.

Rolex one the most robust are pushing the more affordable Tudor brand and it's working. Others will have to follow or potentially fail

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Further to my previous post, my Seiko Courtura Kinetic watch, in which I recently had a new rechargeable battery fitted, has stayed accurate, to the second, over a three week plus period!......Can't really see how any watch could do better?

My Casio waveceptor has stayed accurate to the second (regulated by radio) and is solar powered (no need for replacement batteries) in all the years that I have owned it - Oh, and so far has not needed servicing!

Edited by amateur

10 hours ago, amateur said:

My Casio waveceptor has stayed accurate to the second (regulated by radio) and is solar powered (no need for replacement batteries) in all the years that I have owned it - Oh, and so far has not needed servicing!

I believe Solar watches work via a rechargeable battery! So it too will probably fail at some point? My first Kinetic lasted over ten years, when I retired it, nine years ago, it was still working fine,  I replaced it with the Seiko Courtura, this started to fail after nine odd years, hence the new battery!....both kept very good time, and neither have ever been serviced!.....in my experience.......great watches!

10 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I buy £10 watches and have never had a bad one yet. I have a number of decent watches for best, my son has a collection of named watches, it was his thing for a while to wear designer watches at work in the City, but none of them work any better than my £10 bargains   i

That's the point Vince, if a watch keeps good time, it doesn't really matter whether it's a ten bob one from a charity shop or a £10,000 one, assuming the object is to tell the wearer the time! Lol! 🙂

1 minute ago, fister said:

Im not sure if anyone else has found this but newer Casios are hopelessly unreliable for staying sealed as of my findings.

I had (and actually still have, though not in use) a Casio Waveceptor.  It is OK except the (mechanical) second hand is jogged either forwards or back if you wear it for any physical work, and so doesn't stay in sync with the LCD display, or show the right time to the second.   Not a big issue, but annoying.  It was otherwise reliable, though heavy on batteries, needing replacement rather more than annually (easy and cheap), but again annoying.  However - as one of the earlier radio controlled models, I expect they are better now.  It was also not expensive.

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 23:46, figgy said:

If you read some online watch stuff, a few of the big names are not doing very well.

Prices to buy and services have gone up putting lots of would be buyers off. Especially the younger buyers as they use phones, watches are fashion items to them.

Rolex one the most robust are pushing the more affordable Tudor brand and it's working. Others will have to follow or potentially fail

Like a lot of things, the difference in reliablity between the prestige names and the bargain basement is nowhere near as wide as it used to be. In fact, in many instances the cheap watches  work perfectly. Nobody buys a £60,000 watch because they want to tell the time

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Like a lot of things, the difference in reliablity between the prestige names and the bargain basement is nowhere near as wide as it used to be. In fact, in many instances the cheap watches  work perfectly. Nobody buys a £60,000 watch because they want to tell the time

No they want to tell others how much it cost.

Some are works of art in engineering terms and some are stunning to look at. But fir telling the time much better watches are available for £10.00

There are YouTube videos showing who owns what and Swatch own a few. LVMH own some. 

Edited by figgy

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Personally i only buy a watch if i like the look of it, strange or what? And as for up to the second accuracy?? I don't think its that important.

Just found that the watch i had on yesterday has stopped!! D'oh. I was going to see what the time difference was between the three, the two still going are within a minute of each other so good enough for me.

I like the Seiko divers range. Got myself a new orange monster which I thought was lovely and it kept near perfect time.

I got so much hassle from wife and daughter . "your not going out with that monstrosity on are you"? that I sold it . Twas a nice watch though.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I'll drag this old thrtead up rather than start another!

I've collected watches for 45 years, I used to repair them too as a hobby until my fingers became arthritic and I was dropping tools in to the movements! 😬

I seem to have bought more in the last six months than normal, This lockdown is making my wallet very skinny!! 🙄

Latest buy was this Seiko 007, It had a problem when new in that the stem/crown didn't align correctly with the threaded tube so was recased under warranty, The seller included the old case and all the paperwork in the package!!

Kf9aIZ7.jpg

This Valjoux 7750 auto ppowered Victorinox was for sale on Facey just around the corner from me but the seller was in Aussie land so had to do the sale with the person he left it with, The lad at the house left it on the doorstep and went back in whilst I looked at it, Decided I wanted it and I posted the money through the letterbox!! 

jBgR7ni.jpg 

I've had five different straps on it since I bought it around six weeks ago!, Size comparison with a 6139-6002 Seiko Chrono..

w5i989A.jpg

Orient Mako 2 that I got from fleabay, This is losing five mins per month and needs regulating!
XGsvnkK.jpg

AVI-8 Qtz chrono..

1NI57VT.jpg

attMZFG.jpg

Sturmanskie Qtz chrono..

ahAMxz4.jpg

fV7wgqL.jpg

Promaster auto dive watch..

XEeUsSE.jpg

Dan Henry 1963 chrono (Qtz)

tQmbWTH.jpg xzPgR56.jpg

Dan Henry 1968 Dragster 60 second chrono, They were produced for timing the drag races that were less than a minute in duration so a 60 stopwatch was enough!!

xG96Gkb.jpg 

S85bad6.jpg

Through the last 45 years, I've collected over 2,000 watches but more than half are non runners that I used to scavenge parts from!!

John 🙂