Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, johnbaz said:

Hi

I'll drag this old thrtead up rather than start another!

I've collected watches for 45 years, I used to repair them too as a hobby until my fingers became arthritic and I was dropping tools in to the movements! 😬

 

I seem to have bought more in the last six months than normal, This lockdown is making my wallet very skinny!! 🙄

 

Latest buy was this Seiko 007, It had a problem when new in that the stem/crown didn't align correctly with the threaded tube so was recased under warranty, The seller included the old case and all the paperwork in the package!!

Kf9aIZ7.jpg

 

This Valjoux 7750 auto ppowered Victorinox was for sale on Facey just around the corner from me but the seller was in Aussie land so had to do the sale with the person he left it with, The lad at the house left it on the doorstep and went back in whilst I looked at it, Decided I wanted it and I posted the money through the letterbox!! 

jBgR7ni.jpg 

 

I've had five different straps on it since I bought it around six weeks ago!, Size comparison with a 6139-6002 Seiko Chrono..

w5i989A.jpg

 

Orient Mako 2 that I got from fleabay, This is losing five mins per month and needs regulating!
XGsvnkK.jpg

 

AVI-8 Qtz chrono..

1NI57VT.jpg

attMZFG.jpg

 

Sturmanskie Qtz chrono..

ahAMxz4.jpg

fV7wgqL.jpg

 

Promaster auto dive watch..

XEeUsSE.jpg

 

Dan Henry 1963 chrono (Qtz)

tQmbWTH.jpg xzPgR56.jpg

 

Dan Henry 1968 Dragster 60 second chrono, They were produced for timing the drag races that were less than a minute in duration so a 60 stopwatch was enough!!

xG96Gkb.jpg 

S85bad6.jpg

 

 

Through the last 45 years, I've collected over 2,000 watches but more than half are non runners that I used to scavenge parts from!!

 

 

John 🙂

 

I do like the AVI-8 watches. And that Dan Henry 1968 is gorgeous. 

These are my current rotation (top to bottom) :

West End Watch Co 'Sowar' Automatic from 1954. Very nice (and small - only 36mm) suit watch. 

Invicta Grand Diver 3047 - greater beater watch. Seiko NH35a for less than $100.

WT Author '1905' - really like the watches these guys turn out. Ronda Quartz. Very nice Buffalo hide strap. 

WT Author '1968' - another Ronda Quartz, but man, that blue really pops. Not everyone's cup of tea though. (bonus points if you can name the car that inspired the paint job...) 

Bulova automatic - slightly flashier suit watch. My first 'proper' watch

Heimdallr bronze 6309 --knockoff-- homage. (depending on which side of the fence you sit on that whole thing) automatic with the seiko NH35a movement. Most recent acquisition and I'm really like the whole bronze watch thing. 

Next on the list is probably a Vostok....

Screenshot_20200608_165142.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Lord v said:

I do like the AVI-8 watches. And that Dan Henry 1968 is gorgeous. 

These are my current rotation (top to bottom) :

West End Watch Co 'Sowar' Automatic from 1954. Very nice (and small - only 36mm) suit watch. 

Invicta Grand Diver 3047 - greater beater watch. Seiko NH35a for less than $100.

WT Author '1905' - really like the watches these guys turn out. Ronda Quartz. Very nice Buffalo hide strap. 

WT Author '1968' - another Ronda Quartz, but man, that blue really pops. Not everyone's cup of tea though. (bonus points if you can name the car that inspired the paint job...) 

Bulova automatic - slightly flashier suit watch. My first 'proper' watch

Heimdallr bronze 6309 --knockoff-- homage. (depending on which side of the fence you sit on that whole thing) automatic with the seiko NH35a movement. Most recent acquisition and I'm really like the whole bronze watch thing. 

Next on the list is probably a Vostok....

Screenshot_20200608_165142.jpg

Some nice collections on here!

Here's a few of mine.

@Lord v I have a Vostok, that I wear as my suit/some different watch, I bought it off Etsy from Ukraine last summer for about £30.00. I love the face designs an will definately add a few more to the collection.

I also have an Seiko SKX007 which was a 40th birthday present from my family and a Nite MX10 that I paid next to nothing for from the stand manager at the Shooting  Show years ago.  The G-Shock is my exercise / outdoor / daily wearer, for the money they're great, £25.00 from ebay, barely used with the case and original paperwork.

 

 

IMG_3970.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_3968.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

IMG_3967.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lord v said:

I do like the older vostoks that often crop up on the bay from Ukraine / Czech etc - but I'm always suspicious my money may just disappear.... Probably very unfairly. 

@shalfordninja33 is the Nite lume as good as they say? 

Yes, l looked at them for a while a bought a scuba dude. The Nite is easily readable throughout the night. I paid less than £80 for it and it’s been very good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

This is my one and only watch. I’ve worn it everyday for the last 8 years. Breitling navitimer BO1.

A8770201-FE5B-43D4-97A8-D492DDCC222A.jpeg

03B3AA90-3D9A-4774-A16F-5DB02FFAEEB8.jpeg

 

That's a beauty!!

I have a 1965 Navitimer with a Venus 178 manual wind movement 👍

XZnHQyC.jpg

 

@Lord v Some beauties there mate, I've an Invicta divewatch with the NH35 auto movement inside, It's a cracking comfy watch!!

Seiko is my fave brand though as they make so many different types of watches that are very reliable!

XebkCN7.jpg

gCVWRG4.jpg

lKnSkGq.jpg

KpYr5uz.jpg

UOUrkFk.jpg

 

I'm liking the Buluva UHF with the continuous sweep second hands too, I've an Accutron from 1972 but it needs a service and calibration for modern 1.5v cells!

1OR0YDE.jpg

6PqhAWR.jpg

 

John 👍

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lord v said:

I do like the older vostoks that often crop up on the bay from Ukraine / Czech etc - but I'm always suspicious my money may just disappear.... Probably very unfairly. 

@shalfordninja33

If you want new Vostocks with 'old' designs, I've bought a few times from these people and have nothing but good things to say about them. https://www.ebay.com/usr/moscowtimeseller?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

That's an amazing collection you have BTW. . I have a total of 9 watches (mostly Vostocks) and there I was, thinking I was getting a bit extravagant!! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

If you want new Vostocks with 'old' designs, I've bought a few times from these people and have nothing but good things to say about them. https://www.ebay.com/usr/moscowtimeseller?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

That's an amazing collection you have BTW. . I have a total of 9 watches (mostly Vostocks) and there I was, thinking I was getting a bit extravagant!! 

 

Thanks, couple of nice ones there. 

And the correct number of watches is, as always, n+1

Edited by Lord v
Link to post
Share on other sites

Breitling - I'm on my second Aerospace - I traded a 1996 version for a new one in 2013 and got back more for the '96 than I'd paid for it.   I had the 2013 overhauled by Breitling - came back like brand new - all the scratches on the bracelet gone - absolutely perfect.   Truth be told it's now in the gun safe unworn as I've found a Samsung S3 Frontier smart watch a more useful tool for day to day use.  Prior to lockdown I was flying off somewhere most weeks and into different time zones so with a conventional watch the faff of changing the watch time was a regular occurrence.  The S3 gets it's time from the mobile phone network and and is thus always showing the correct time - total sacrilege I do realise.

As an aside - have you ever thought of making a watch - from scratch with no prior knowledge of watch-making?  Check this out: https://www.instagram.com/creations_in_time/?hl=en

David Cottrell is a a mate and former work colleague.  His wife bought him a book on George Daniels (some of his watches are in the Science Museum in London), the book described how that Daniels movement worked - but not how to make it.  David figured out how to do that for himself, and is now working on the second version.

 

   

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2020 at 12:24, Cosmicblue said:

As an aside - have you ever thought of making a watch - from scratch .

My late father, an engineer, took up clockmaking as a second career and built a Galileo from copies of Galileo's original sketch and no other information.

This was the very first pendulum clock (Huygen's design came later) but Galileo never saw it working.

Dad's version (I still have it) keeps excellent time.

Galileo_scheme.png

Edited by amateur
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...