Cracking last day

islandgun

A stunning day to finish.. saw three woodcock and shot at two, this one brings my tally to four since early December. two days ago saw me up the top of my local hill in the snow,  today sweating in bright sunshine, Ive loved every minute of it and so has Gus my springer...planning for next year..:good:

2102142848_thumbnail(3).jpg.15266f4a792ca2f4daa2390d22fcacbd.jpg

664586566_thumbnail(4).jpg.bbac09e07dc2992c993e3731c112606f.jpg

Edited by islandgun

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Cheers sako, how did you get on ? 

Freezing here last night but back to wet and wind next week

2 pheasants,1 woodcock and a snipe.Off work with the frost again so felt obliged to make the most of it.Glad of the break before the bucks come in now though and get the motor cleaned out finally.

1 hour ago, sako751sg said:

2 pheasants,1 woodcock and a snipe.Off work with the frost again so felt obliged to make the most of it.Glad of the break before the bucks come in now though and get the motor cleaned out finally.

great stuff, plenty of snipe about today in the wet ground but i left them to it.. I wonder what you will find when you get to bottom of your truck

1 hour ago, Whitebridges said:

Two lovely pictures there IG,  thanks for posting. I hope you can find a mallard.   

Cheers mate that was why i posted tbh, my favourite time of year.. just wished the season was a month longer. didnt see one duck, just enjoyed sitting out on a frosty evening

1 hour ago, hod said:

Cracking pictures.  I could happily walk about and not fire a shot with scenery like that.

Thats how i feel.. Im just getting back into long distance walks and having the hound and a chance of a shot makes it special

1 hour ago, Wilksy II said:

As said, that’s a stunning part of the world and your dogs expression says it all, fine looking hound!

Do you get any ptarmigan high up? 

He's loving it, Ive never seen a dog more keen, nothing stands in his way, but we both need more work this summer !.. Ive never heard of Ptarmigan in the isle of Harris but will look into it ..cheers all

Edited by islandgun

Stunning photos of your lovely area islandgun , what a difference a fall of snow make on a day when you are having a wander round with dog and gun , your ole dog look well and is going to miss it after today , can you carry on shooting duck till the 20 Feb ??

This afternoon was a blank as the marshes where I have been getting a few Pheasants was to cold and now hold very little food , last night was my last night for a duck , managed a Mallard on the river as the water on the marsh was frozen over .

Tomorrow is our last day to trim up the last of the Pheasants as this shoot start a fresh so they let us shoot both cocks and hens , forecast a few wintery showers .

What i will find when i clean the motor?

Dreading to think.Lost a Teal the other week so hoping that Jake ate as did find a bit of a wing left.Will hoover about a half ton of mixed cereals i know that for sure.

Got a phone call from the lassie that works at the grain store on Monday that they had skipped all the sample bags if i was wanting to collect them.Just small plastic bags of maybe 10 inch x 6 inch and there are literally thousands just thrown in the back.Mix of corn,rape,wheat and barley so fine for giving the birds a hand over the cold spell.

Have been really nice with the missus lately so she will know thats her job now the seasons over.

36 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Stunning photos of your lovely area islandgun , what a difference a fall of snow make on a day when you are having a wander round with dog and gun , your ole dog look well and is going to miss it after today , can you carry on shooting duck till the 20 Feb ??

This afternoon was a blank as the marshes where I have been getting a few Pheasants was to cold and now hold very little food , last night was my last night for a duck , managed a Mallard on the river as the water on the marsh was frozen over .

Tomorrow is our last day to trim up the last of the Pheasants as this shoot start a fresh so they let us shoot both cocks and hens , forecast a few wintery showers .

Cheers MM.. aye we will both miss it, theres not many duck in the estuary as its pure sand, without the marine life you have in Norfolk, I do have plenty of splashes but they are frozen and ducks and greylags have disappeared for now, cant even go after the rabbits as they were hit bad by mixy in the summer.. hope you have a great day tomorrow without to much snow, [although the west seems to be getting the worst.]. I will probably sit it out below the high tide mark and see if i cant get under a goose flight line over the next couple weeks

1 minute ago, sako751sg said:

What i will find when i clean the motor?

Dreading to think.Lost a Teal the other week so hoping that Jake ate as did find a bit of a wing left.Will hoover about a half ton of mixed cereals i know that for sure.

Got a phone call from the lassie that works at the grain store on Monday that they had skipped all the sample bags if i was wanting to collect them.Just small plastic bags of maybe 10 inch x 6 inch and there are literally thousands just thrown in the back.Mix of corn,rape,wheat and barley so fine for giving the birds a hand over the cold spell.

Have been really nice with the missus lately so she will know thats her job now the seasons over.

Brilliant.. did Jake look you in the eye after the deed. that was a good call with the cereal samples, will you keep feeding your pond or just a "free for all" feed

9 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Brilliant.. did Jake look you in the eye after the deed. that was a good call with the cereal samples, will you keep feeding your pond or just a "free for all" feed

He goes cross eyed after working hard so not sure where he looking to be honest,lol.

Ill keep a token feed everywhere for the rest of winter just as a top up,especially if the cold spell keeps up.Amazing how many wee birds come to the places where we dump some feed and sure they are glad of it.Have probably used 6-8 tons of the grain stores thrown out stuff which saves a huge feed bill.Bought a ton for the feeders but everything else has been a freebie.

18 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Cheers MM.. aye we will both miss it, theres not many duck in the estuary as its pure sand, without the marine life you have in Norfolk, I do have plenty of splashes but they are frozen and ducks and greylags have disappeared for now, cant even go after the rabbits as they were hit bad by mixy in the summer.. hope you have a great day tomorrow without to much snow, [although the west seems to be getting the worst.]. I will probably sit it out below the high tide mark and see if i cant get under a goose flight line over the next couple weeks

Good luck in bagging one or two of your resident Greylags over the next week or two , weather permitting .

At one time we used to pray for strong prolonged frost so the marshes and the inland waterways would freeze over , once the Broads and lakes froze solid the wildfowl would come to the estuary overnight in good numbers to take advantage of open water , if the cold weather lasted more than 14 days there would be a ban put on shooting until the conditions improved , by then we would have got our share and then eased up when they started to lose body weight , now I think the ban would come on a lot sooner than 14 days due to it being a reserve .

1 hour ago, sako751sg said:

He goes cross eyed after working hard so not sure where he looking to be honest,lol.

Ill keep a token feed everywhere for the rest of winter just as a top up,especially if the cold spell keeps up.Amazing how many wee birds come to the places where we dump some feed and sure they are glad of it.Have probably used 6-8 tons of the grain stores thrown out stuff which saves a huge feed bill.Bought a ton for the feeders but everything else has been a freebie.

very handy indeed.. Im sure it will be appreciated, I have a small pond and flooded area on the croft which i will keep feeding till spring, i expect it will be heaving with ducks next week..;)

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Good luck in bagging one or two of your resident Greylags over the next week or two , weather permitting .

At one time we used to pray for strong prolonged frost so the marshes and the inland waterways would freeze over , once the Broads and lakes froze solid the wildfowl would come to the estuary overnight in good numbers to take advantage of open water , if the cold weather lasted more than 14 days there would be a ban put on shooting until the conditions improved , by then we would have got our share and then eased up when they started to lose body weight , now I think the ban would come on a lot sooner than 14 days due to it being a reserve .

As much as i enjoy a good freeze it certainly plays havoc on the birds. weve not had a ban for a few years now. we seem to get the worst weather in March...or Lambing