Sx3 spring strength

holloway

Would appreciate some views on my winchester sx3 .I have two springs for it (the long ones that fill the rod in the stock.)The one that came with the gun which was brought second hand is the longer and a lot stronger of the two ,i find that with this one in the gun becomes a little fussy with shells that are under 32g.the other spring is slightly shorter and a lot easier to compress if i fitted this one would lighter shells cycle easier ?It is a 3 1/2 inch chamber gun .I bought the lighter spring on a whim like yiu do as a spare but was surprised how different they were.

To echo Figgy take care with the light spring as using it with 3 1/2” heavy loads would allow the working parts to fly back at too great a velocity, almost certainly causing impact damage and possibly making the gun a danger to the shooter. Was the light spring labelled as suitable for specific loads? If not and you wish to use it I would suggest starting with a 21g. If that cycles reliably then that is all I would use it for, if it does not then try a 24g with the same proviso. I would not go over 28g personally. My Ithaca 51 has two springs, one for up to 24g and one for 28+, that gun is only 2 3/4” chamber so no magnum issue. My 1187 (3” chamber) uses its original 1980’s spring and will cycle reliably down to 21g, I fitted a new factory spring and it’s lower limit is 28g. If I were to shoot 3” I would fit the new spring. Both guns have new buffers fitted and these are always checked as part of my cleaning regime for excess impact evidence.

just take care, don’t mix your ammunition and be sure what you’re loading at all times